Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #1
JGBrown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
What do you want to see in a travel notebook(paper kind) I'm going to make a few

UPDATE: after about 40 hours of work and many revisions I have a draft copy now available!
Download link additional information on the added in post 40
Version two now up!
Updated 11/29/2011 Download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?4saswdghff9453b

I will be releasing the file once everything done under a Creative Commons attribution, no commercial no derivatives 3.0 license. Basically you can make copies, use them or give them away, just don't change anything or sell it, and leave in the page about where it comes from so others can find copies too. Using this license means that no one else can take my file, get a copyright and deny free access. I'm doing this because I know what it's like to travel on a thin budget when every dollar counts. It won't save much money, and the quality will suck in comparison to what I'll be able to print, as I have access to a very nice high end print shop through school, at only 10% over the wholesale costs of the materials, with fantastic quality of both paper and inks. However I want to give back, so if you can't swing buying a copy, feel free to download the book, if you like it and find it useful a small donation would be appreciated and will be put to good use for travel, and further development of the logbook but it isn't required.

The books I'll be printing will be available in both center and top binding, and in waterproof paper and non-waterproof papers with waterproof covers. I will be using the waterproof cover, non waterproof paper center bound version, with high quality papers they can withstand dampness just fine, and since I prefer to write with ballpoint or fountain pens, waterproof paper doesn't work.

The waterproof books will be printed on Tyvek, as will the covers of the high quality paper version so you can put the book on a damp surface but still write in it.

Rough pricing estimate should be done by Dec 10th.

|I'm a student with access to printers and all that fun stuff, for a bookbinding class I want to make some notebooks specifically tailored to travel. While I was riding last year, I found I carried 3, and none did the job very well, while part of that was my poor organization, the other part was that nobody seems to make a really good notebook for travel.

So far the list of things I want in the notebook:
-Place to put a pen/pencil that will actually hold it securely
-Water resistant/proof cover

-Address book with two additional columns:
From: so you can write down where someone lives, I always ended up trading offers of a place to crash, but I can't remember by email address where everyone lives.
Met in: I remember people best by where I met them, for example the cute Quebecois girl in Antigua. Not sure if anyone else finds this too, I learned the trick of writing where I met someone from another traveler.

-Basic lined/gridded pages for logging stuff for trip report or writing down whatever.

-a few calender pages, I just like enough space to log mileage, and make a quick note for border crossings or dates to remember etc.

-Perforated tear out half-pages, I partially destroyed every notebook I had tearing out pages to write down my info or to give someone a map etc.

-small pouch for the bits of paper you pick up from other people.

I'm thinking of Tyvek for the covers, to keep it light and small, I hate the rite in the rain thick covers. It would be laser printed but with space for your info to be hand written in as well.

Likely I`ll build them with Chicago screws so they can be taken apart with any regular screwdriver to re-arrange pages or add more pages to the tear out section etc.

Is there a feature you`ve always wanted in a notebook for traveling but never seen? I'll do my best to add whatever is the most popular, feedback on the features I've listed appreciated too.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739193

JGBrown screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 10:24 PM
JGBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,711
If you can swing it see if you can print it on water resistant paper. I got this stuff called adventure paper for printing maps on....its not cheap but works well enough.

I would probably drive the price up to high....its like a $1.50 a sheet 8.5x11
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
Watcher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
+1 on the waterproof paper. Chandlery supply outfits sell various types of waterproof notebooks. Example here.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,073
waterproof paper, aye!

also, rather than make em with the spine on the side, like a book, put the "spne" on teh top, like a reporter's notebook - - - writing on the left hand page of a book can be a pain -- reporter's notebook, flip the page, turn it over, of there ya go . . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #5
usgser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,071
I worked in the woods and weather for 15 years(forestry/geology). For note keeping waterproof paper is the only way to go. I might have the tech name incorrect but we used "Rite in the Rain" notebooks almost exclusively. Don't know if the market can handle yet another brand cause there are products already available that work excellent.
usgser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,339
I like a notebook that is small enough to fit in a pocket and has a pliable cover.

I carry a pocket notebook daily. The one I favor is from Miquelrius. It is slightly smaller than 3"X5" , has a soft cover, and a pleated pocket for keeping receipts, etc.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #7
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,242
Take your pick:

http://www.riteintherain.com/category.asp

Tacoma,WA
Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,870
Please document the process! I made a custom leather hand-bound 5-year journal for a good friend for Christmas last year and absolutely loved it. My cover came out closer to a hardback than I had hoped, probably because of the adhesive I used in the construction, but other than that it came out very cool.

I'm happy to share what I learned if you have any questions, but Nixels is the book binding man. He very generously offered to help me but I was too stubborn to take him up on it.
TheOtherBart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
beat me to it.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #10
JGBrown OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
First off, this is more of a different ideas vs materials and layout. I'm looking for stuff like the additional columns in the address book, and the tear out sections etc, basically all the things that are missing in notebooks that made me take several and end up pissed off with all of them, and or caused me trouble with finding places to stay because I couldn't remember where people I'd met were from! What things did you have or not have in a notebook that you loved or hated, that sort of thing. The idea is not to create just another notebook with lines in it, there's more than enough on the market, it's the design things I'm looking for, like the extra columns in the address book, or having a separate section of tear out sheets to use for giving people maps etc, as well as being able to add, remove or relocate pages within the book, I always hated having a bunch of torn out pages in the middle, but if did it at the end I lost my first pages etc.

Waterproofness, direction for opening etc, there are tons of those on the market, I can't and am not trying to compete with them. I'm not going to make any money at this realistically, I just got so fed up with what I was using, and figured that if I'm going through the effort to design and make one for myself, I might as well make enough for any ADV'ers who are fed up with their notebooks too!

Re: Rite in the rain. Their paper is interesting, I'll likely use tyvek or a different brand of water resistant paper that costs less and is easier to write on. I don't like the notebooks because I find it hard to write on, and the covers suck. Plus you need to be careful what you are writing with to avoid the ink just running off instead. DAMHIK.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739193

JGBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:58 AM   #11
ok64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
waterproof paper, aye!

Also, rather than make em with the spine on the side, like a book, put the "spne" on teh top, like a reporter's notebook - - - writing on the left hand page of a book can be a pain -- reporter's notebook, flip the page, turn it over, of there ya go . . . . .
+1
ok64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #12
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,339
The big features for me then would be the tear-out section, pen holder, pocket in the cover for receipts, top spine (Im a lefty), and a fairly small size (fits in jacket pocket).
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
Grounder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Beefy metric conversion charts for distance, volume, weight, and temperature.

Especially for gallons to liters, I would like to see an expanded chart with multiple examples (e.g. 1 gallon is x liters, 2 gallons is y liters, etc etc)

Good project idea, I'm straight Rite in the Rain but their hard covers do stink. I love their spiral bound fieldbooks though.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:40 PM   #14
wjpjump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Waterproofing for sure!
wjpjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:13 AM   #15
2eddies
2eddies

Oddometer: 108
travel notebook/journal

+1 for waterproof paper, reporter notebook style top binding, 1/2 page tearoff for handing out notes to others, reasonably flexible covers, etc.

Kudos for anyone who continues to make books and bookbinding in the digital 21st Century, don't stop, just do it!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=649853
East of Eden's Fires - 8/2011 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717546
2eddies is offline   Reply With Quote