User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
HamoAus OP
Springfield Lakes

Oddometer: 599
Honda VFR800

Got the chance to get a 2001 VFR800 with 58000 km (all highway) on it for a decent price. It's had a driveway drop on the right side so it's scratched up but not too bad. It's had the big service with all the stuff replaced. What I want to know is what should I be aware of and how long do these beasties go before they go tits up? Any info to help me make an informed decision will be very much appreciated.

Cheers
HamoAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Roam
If you want to

Oddometer: 1,049
A well maintained one should go 240k kilometers or more. Regulator/rectifiers are wear item on these bikes. Other than that they're great. Put 120k kilometers on mine before I sold it to a friend and it's still going strong.

Roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
HamoAus OP
Springfield Lakes

thanks mate, the rectifier has been changed so it all should be well I think, I just thought some one might have some more info than I can dig up.

Cheers
Old 11-04-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
I think the 2001 rectifier was beefed up a bit versus earlier 5th gen model years. Zero issues here. As for longevity, a VFR800 riding friend had 230k km's on his bike before a truck ran him off the road. He rides the VFR1200 now.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,150
Change the fork oil and make sure the fork height has not been altered. If you want to change that later, do your research as very small changes can have some very negative effects!

Soft steering head bearings seem to wear out quickly. The R/R issue is still an issue, even for a 2001. Honda didn't fix it until the 6th gen model.

Even if your R/R has been replaced, thoroughly check all the associated wiring and plugs and clean all the plugs and coat with dielectric grease. If the R/R was replaced with a stock Honda unit, it's only a matter of time until it's going to burn up again. Go to www.wiremybike.com and buy a "VFRness" and a new R/R if you really want to make the charging system foolproof.

Thoroughly flush and bleed the clutch line to keep the slave cylinder from seizing up.

Otherwise, change the rest of the fluids and ride the hell out of it! That 90* V4 with gear driven cams was one of the best motors Honda ever put together and will last forever with good care.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Long VFR thread on Adv already so lots of folks chimming in.

Also the following are good sources:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com

http://vfrworld.com

Still have my 5th gen.............maybe forever!
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 AM   #7
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
Long VFR thread on Adv already so lots of folks chimming in.

Also the following are good sources:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com

http://vfrworld.com

Still have my 5th gen.............maybe forever!

Agreed its a keeper... The quintessential sporting street bike...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
HamoAus OP
Springfield Lakes

Thanks for the info fellas. Heaps of it out there.

Cheers
Old 11-09-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
There were some initial problems on the first year 6th generation thanks to a less than adequate charging system. At first Honda told us to inform owners to run the lights on dim when in slow traffic. Soon after there was an upgrade or the volt reg or alternator, I don't recall which, maybe both?

Also there were some early runs that had can chain tensioner problems and one year had a recall on the wiring harness or perhaps it was a sub-harness section.

I have a friend owning a '03 model, over 100,000 miles and routine service only. He bought and is one of the few riders that can actually use a maintenance contract and the techs love to see him ride in for service. Apparently it pays them well and they actually get to work on a well cared for machine that rolls on miles like only a Honda can.

Valve check at 50k miles or so, waste of money before then and as a very experienced tech told me, unless a loss of power on hills, hard to start and lots of after fire in the exhaust, don't waste your time. I tested this on a ST1100 twice and now live by those words.

A friend with a '98 brought his in for major service at 50K and needed a rear shock. Depending on your bike and your sensitivity you might go as far but............

Some add bar risers and mess with the windscreen. The answer to the bar risers is probably a waste of money. If you can't stand the position, one inch will not make a difference after the first hour and all shields are a waste of money, only moves the noise and buffeting around, get a really good helmet and stick with the stock shield for best results.

There are two or three very good VFR websites: VFRdiscussion, VFR owners, memory lacking................ry goggle or google.

If you want to do all your own service, wait for snow and take your time. It is a fascinating machine to poke around in, the story I was told is it was a pet project of Scirichio, the V-4 his favorite motor, they lose money on the VFR but it is I suppose a thing of honor to continue his legacy in at least one corner of the company. Of all the machines I've ever owned, probably my favorite, only really bad neck and wrists keep me off but the new Cross-whatever might work if it comes stateside. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,330
[QUOTE=slipknot;17265066
Some add bar risers and mess with the windscreen. The answer to the bar risers is probably a waste of money. If you can't stand the position, one inch will not make a difference after the first hour and all shields are a waste of money, only moves the noise and buffeting around, get a really good helmet and stick with the stock shield for best results.

There are two or three very good VFR websites: VFRdiscussion, VFR owners, memory lacking................ry goggle or google.

[/QUOTE]

I agree... keep bars and screen stock...

VFRDiscussion and VFRWorld are great resources...
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:50 AM   #11
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Great bikes. Picked this bike up as you see it as well as cruise control, bar risers, custom seat, all maint, mear mint cond, 2002, 55,000km for $3500 just this summer.

Makes an amazing mile muncher, with a good mix of sport. Literally traded my dual sport for it and left for 1700 miles the next weekend.

30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #12
joshsvoss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
What year VFR is that 30Bones?

I'm looking at a $3500 VFR myself, '98. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3756309677.html
What do you think? Is that expensive with the fairing damage? Seems a good value compared to all the other 4-6k prices on craigslist, plus it comes with about $1k worth of luggage.

Is it hard to work on these bikes yourself, since the fairing and radiators are in way of the engine?
joshsvoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:26 AM   #13
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,636
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsvoss View Post
What year VFR is that 30Bones?

I'm looking at a $3500 VFR myself, '98. http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3756309677.html
What do you think? Is that expensive with the fairing damage? Seems a good value compared to all the other 4-6k prices on craigslist, plus it comes with about $1k worth of luggage.

Is it hard to work on these bikes yourself, since the fairing and radiators are in way of the engine?
It was an 02, I sold it last year for a few reasons. The main one I could never get comfy on it and have no idea why. My 94 VFR was all day comfort as was my 06 Triumph Sprint both were stock too.

I like that 98 better, gear driven cams sound flat out gnarly. The newer ones (02+) just don't do it for me I guess.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
Txjack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
VFRs

I had an 01, bought new& put 78646miles on it until totaled in 08. Most problem free bike i've ever owned!
Txjack is offline   Reply With Quote