Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > 2 smokers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
lrutt OP
SILENCE.....i kill you

Oddometer: 1,243
What are you going to do with your old bikes when you pass on?

I've been collecting for years and dearly love my bikes. I ride everyone of them. The big concern for me is what will happen to them when I die. Oddly enough I'm planning now how will get what to make sure they go to good deserving homes, to somene who will take care of them and enjoy them as I have. This means the collection will get split up some. I don't plan to sell to strangers but give to friends and family who as stated, will appreciate them.

I've had recommendations of leaving to a charity or some such but no way. It would just end up something to flip for a few dollars if done that way. Museums, no way, these bikes need ridden.

What do some of you plan on doing?
2006 HD 1200C, 2006 Tri Scrambler, 2001 Duc M900, 2001 Hon XR650L, 1994 HD Heritage, 1989 Hon Hawk GT, 1978 Hon CB750K / sidecar, 1977 Guzzi 850 LeMans, 1976 Hon CB750K, 1965 Hon 305 Dream, 1973 Nort 850 Commando, 1971 Tri Trophy 650, 1970 Hon Trail 90, 1970 Tri Tiger 650, 1973 Hon Z50, 1984 Yam Virago 1000, 1981 Hon Passport 70, 1970 Suz T250, 1971 Yam RT1 360
lrutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,437
I got kid's and I am going to live and ride for at least 30 more years

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
twinjet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
I read about a young lady who inherited an Indian Scout from her Grand Father.
twinjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:37 PM   #4
caryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
I think if I'm dead it won't matter to me what happens to my bikes. My family yes.

Chuck
2003 Kawasaki KDX220R
1976 Yamaha RD400C
caryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #5
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,319
hmm good question.. I guess depending on our financial situation I will tell my wife to sale if needed.. If not they will probably go to family/friends to enjoy
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:04 AM   #6
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
My wife will sell mine and keep the cash. She already knows what to ask for all of them. My kids are not interested in old bikes and a lot of young folks just don't care about them at all. They think we are old dottering fools. Their idea of something to collect will be OLD Taylor Swift or Justin Beiber albums. Either way ,I won't care anymore.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 PM   #7
TwinDuro
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I care about your old bikes buls, and I'm only a 20 something... but then again, I'm not normal. Who's Justin Beiber?

Seriously though, you speak the truth, it seems that the vast majority (but definitely not all) of kids/younger adults aren't interested in vintage/classic bikes, which is a shame . I hope that changes for the positive in the next couple of decades, even in a small way.

FWIW, my take on this subject is that no matter what you own: motorcycles, cars, vintage tractors, baseball cards etc., it would be ideal to have everything clearly laid out and decided upon in one's will well in advance, so there's absolutely no question on who gets what. We've all seen, and likey experienced, families being torn apart by arguments over who gets one thing or another. It's not pretty and more often then not, turns downright ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buls4evr View Post
My wife will sell mine and keep the cash. She already knows what to ask for all of them. My kids are not interested in old bikes and a lot of young folks just don't care about them at all. They think we are old dottering fools. Their idea of something to collect will be OLD Taylor Swift or Justin Beiber albums. Either way ,I won't care anymore.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
RodT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I'm taking mine with me!!!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
CanadianX
Oh!? That is deep.

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDuro View Post
Seriously though, you speak the truth, it seems that the vast majority (but definitely not all) of kids/younger adults aren't interested in vintage/classic bikes,

FWIW, my take on this subject is that no matter what you own: motorcycles, cars, vintage tractors, baseball cards etc., it would be ideal to have everything clearly laid out and decided upon in one's will well in advance, so there's absolutely no question on who gets what. We've all seen, and likey experienced, families being torn apart by arguments over who gets one thing or another. It's not pretty and more often then not, turns downright ugly.
The phenomenom isn't limited to bikes but spans to cars. Seems a lot of younger people in developed nations are loosing their love for owning a car. It isn't the status symbol it once was. many are not gettting their license until they are much older. Now in nations that are just coming into their own the demand is growing as is the interest.

TwinDuro called it though - have a good solid plan and have it written and notorized. May also consider letting some of them go to their new homes before you ride off into the sunset. Likely give you great joy to see them enjoyed anew and would settle any issue of ownership after your passing.
CanadianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #10
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,397
It looks like you have an interesting collection. I have a car that I likely will own for my entire life. To be honest, I hope it gets sold when I'm gone. I'd rather it disappear from anyone who knew me than have someone I know not take care of it or wrap it around a tree. My thought is that a paying next owner will "have skin in the game" compared to getting something for nothing and treating it as such.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
old fart bob
Armchair adventurer

Oddometer: 90
My bike collection?

I married late and my wife has absolutely no interest in my bikes, my antique cars or my large memorabilia collection. I arranged with the Gilmore Auto Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan they would get the whole collection along with more than enough money to maintain them. My wife thought that was a good idea.

old fart bob screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 08:07 PM
old fart bob is offline   Reply With Quote