Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #151
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 802
Not knowing my old english iron I dare to ask: can't you just hang that great BSA engine in your Norton and create a Snorton / Borton / Nortsa or something the like?
Old 05-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #152
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigford View Post
Kev, looks even better than I thought

I notice on that first photo of the head, its got some writing on it....

"WELLWORTHY AL-FIN" Mrs P's Dad (RIP) worked at Wellworthy's from leaving school in the early 1960's thru' to just before the millennium I knew they made pistons and stuff, but not heads to ... cool.
Wellworthy was part of the Hepolite group, they also made special finned brake drums for performance cars of the 60's..
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #153
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellycow View Post
Not knowing my old english iron I dare to ask: can't you just hang that great BSA engine in your Norton and create a Snorton / Borton / Nortsa or something the like?
That BSA Engine is in fact a Norton engine with a BSA piston, and it will be going in the frame...
Old 05-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #154
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 802
Aha, the part about the piston threw me off the highly limited knowledge I have about these bikes. Good thing it works out for you, I couldn't help myself even if my life was at stake
Only thing I vaguely know is the 16H my dad owned in the sixties, when courting my mum. I saw it once when a next owner had it restored (to civilian specs) and came by to show it around 1990, after it had been in boxes for 25+ years (sad story there.)
Old 05-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #155
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
this Norton

I am really enjoying this project, as a old friend once built up a garden gate Inter in the same manner, slowly and inexpensively.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #156
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

As I continue to make inroads into my Norton project, I am always looking out for those little parts that will set my bike apart from just another ES2, I really want my project to have the feel and look of a true clubman spec bike, and while I know that I have limitations caused by the frame and the motor I have to use(Inter frames are different, and expensive, and Inter motors won't fit the ES2 frame)I can at least try to find some of the parts that will fit, like my oil tank.

So with a Kempton jumble looming this very Saturday, I mentioned to a couple of friends that I would like them to keep their eyes open for an International front brake lever. now these are hard to find, because they are long, actually they are 8" long not counting the bracket. But the clutch lever is a standard 7" long. This is because the Inter only had a single leading shoe front brake, and so needed the extra stopping power a longer lever could give.

So you can imagine my surprise when Mick went to his tray of odd levers, and pulled out just such a lever, complete with bracket, and said I could have it. I have to be honest here, I never thought I would find one. Just another little step in the right direction, at the end of the day, no one else may notice these things, but I will know I have tried my best.

You can see how big these things are here...

Sorry about the phone picture.

England-Kev screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 01:02 PM
Old 05-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #157
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 592
You're a lucky bastard Kev, a freshly rebuilt engine! Stuff like that never happens for me. I could fall into a barrel of titties and come out sucking my thumb! Good on ya lad.

limeymike screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 09:16 PM
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #158
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sure Mike, there is an element of luck involved with these things, but some of that luck you have to make yourself, people you talk to have to see you are serious, they just don't offer this stuff up on a whim. And do you have directions to this barrel
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #159
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
That's Dick Klamfoth. It's on the beach at Daytona, and he held AMA #1 at the time. Probably 1952 or 3
I notice from reading the latest edition of motorcycle mechanics, that this bike is now residing over here in the UK.... I never thought you guys would sell such an important motorcycle?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #160
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
I notice from reading the latest edition of motorcycle mechanics, that this bike is now residing over here in the UK.... I never thought you guys would sell such an important motorcycle?
The team bikes were shipped over from the UK ready to race. At the time, Francis Beart built them. Dick's still around, and was responsible for getting the racer's memorial on the beach built.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:04 AM   #161
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have thought for a while now, that I want my Norton to look a little different from the standard ES2 & Model 18 singles that are out and about, there are to be fair some very nice bikes out there, and you have seen a few I have posted in this thread. But I would like mine to stand apart, so with this in mind I decided a while back that I would finish my engine in black, like they do on some Manx engines, and some of the Vincent models. I am going to leave the alloy heads and rocker cover silver, as will be the push rod tubes.

Now I know some of the purists out there will tut tutting loudly into their earl grey, but this bike was never going to be factory finish, lets face it, all the parts are coming from either ebay, jumbles, or other peoples sheds.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:55 AM   #162
Velocipede
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Getting there Kevin,its your bike paint it whichever way you want.
John
Velocipede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #163
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

I have now painted the gearbox to match the motor, and sorted out a few items that need to be powder coated.

And as you can see from the picture below, I need to get the 350cc head machined to fit the 500cc barrel. I will also have the inlet tract opened up to 30mm at the same time so as to fit a bigger carb.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #164
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Why not use the entire engine that you bought?
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:24 AM   #165
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer View Post
Why not use the entire engine that you bought?
That is a very good question, and I shall answer it thus.

I now have a complete engine and gearbox, that like you said I have bought, and I will be fitting this into my frame as is, just to get the bike on the road, all registered, and legal. I also have this incomplete motor, that I have been building, this will be the eventual motor that I will use when complete. This is going to be the hotter of the two, high lift cams, bigger valves, ported and polished, large carb, etc. As I am intending to sprint this bike in the VMCC sprint series.

http://www.vmccsprint.co.uk/vintage_...g/Welcome.html

So I should end up with a spare motor and box, which is a good thing when thrashing the tits off an old bike