Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM   #166
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by England-Kev View Post
................This is going to be the hotter of the two, .......

Ehm, the other one is already built as a competition engine and the one you're building now is going to be hotter?

Spares sound like a good idea
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #167
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,496
I know what you are saying, but it is hard for me to explain. I have been building my bike from scratch, and have worked hard to find all the parts that I want to use, and as such this complete engine, as nice as it is, just doesn't fit well with the plan.
Also from a purely aesthetic point of view, it doesn't have the "look" I want for my build. Does that make sense? not sure.

I really want my finished bike to have the alloy 350 head, with the internal push rod tubes, not purely for the look, but because these can take a bigger 32mm carb.

So maybe I will end up just swapping the heads and rocker covers over for now, the Al-fin head has the external tubes, and looks more Vintage, which is Ok, but not really the look I am after.. This may change however if I can find a way of hanging a 30+ carb on the Al-fin head.

We shall see, l still have things to work out, and as I am sill waiting on my front wheel build, I have a bit of time before I start thinking of throwing an engine in the frame
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #168
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

I had a good productive day today, in the background of the bigger picture are all the little things that need to be found and fixed, some of these parts will be new, some will be old and worn out. So having painted the cases, I need to sort through my boxes of junk and find some screws to fit the timing case, after a bit of digging around, I found some that were the right size and thread form, but not enough to do the job. So I took a drive over to see a friend who restores Vincents, and asked if he could help, sure he could, and promptly gave me a collection of polished stainless screws to do the job, and at no cost

Back in the lockup, I cleaned all the threads, and gave all the screws some copperslip, and fitted the lot, perfect.
Next, it was time to sort out the left hand engine bracket and combined riders footrest hanger with serrated end, the one I found last year was very badly worn with all the serrations having worn off, so I cut the worn part off, and cut a replacement part from a spare tube I had found at one of the jumbles, I then popped around to my local welder, who quickly tigged it into place, again for no charge so the bracket can now go off to be powder coated with the rest of the brackets, and the front, side stand assembly.

And on another note, my Aluminium for the cooling rings turned up today, so that can go off to be machined for the front hub on Saturday.

Just a great day.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #169
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Anybody else fancy joining me in this folly of madness... come on Rob

Look what's on eBay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORTON-INTERNATIONAL-500cc-PRE-WAR-PROJECT-/170733044263?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item27c07b8227

This won't be cheap
Do you guys remember this project for sale back in 2011?

Well the guy who bought it has now finished it.....

What a fantastic job
Old 06-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #170
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:

What a fantastic job
Indeed ...

Well done Kev, now I believe you mentioned something about historic sprints and hillclimbs ...

John
Old 06-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #171
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebedee View Post
Indeed ...

Well done Kev, now I believe you mentioned something about historic sprints and hillclimbs ...

John
That's not mine, hot damn, I can't afford an International
Old 06-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #172
Zebedee
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 784
Quote:
That's not mine, hot damn, I can't afford an International
... I did say that I was just here for the pretty pictures ...
Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #173
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
The Inter does look rather good. Hats off to the guys that raced bikes with brakes like that, I guess they didn't know any better I can't imagine what it would feel like today coming off the "mountain" at the TT, over 100mph with that front brake, I'd be slowing before I'd finished the climb.

Back on thread, I see what you mean about the "Look" Kev, the head with internal rod tunnels does look much better.

Your bike will of course have a front brake worthy of the name, i.e. more than just a "gentle retardation device".
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #174
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer View Post
The Inter does look rather good. Hats off to the guys that raced bikes with brakes like that, I guess they didn't know any better I can't imagine what it would feel like today coming off the "mountain" at the TT, over 100mph with that front brake, I'd be slowing before I'd finished the climb.

Back on thread, I see what you mean about the "Look" Kev, the head with internal rod tunnels does look much better.

Your bike will of course have a front brake worthy of the name, i.e. more than just a "gentle retardation device".
They didn't HAVE any better or they'd have used them. Most folks have never experienced a properly set up drum brake with 100% shoe-to-drum contact and quality linings. They can be fierce. The big problem is fade from heat.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #175
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
The brakes were about the best available at the time and worked well, but would fade if held on for too long; you used the engine mostly and the brakes to wash off the rest. The bikes had little rolling mass being so light, plus very high compression on that big pot - rolling off the throttle on a single cylinder racer results in hefty engine braking, especially going down through the gears. My G80 was running at 11:1 and my cousin's worked over G50 was at 13:1 (methanol) before he moved over to a 350 Gold Star.
Scrivens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:26 PM   #176
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrivens View Post
The brakes were about the best available at the time and worked well, but would fade if held on for too long; you used the engine mostly and the brakes to wash off the rest. The bikes had little rolling mass being so light, plus very high compression on that big pot - rolling off the throttle on a single cylinder racer results in hefty engine braking, especially going down through the gears. My G80 was running at 11:1 and my cousin's worked over G50 was at 13:1 (methanol) before he moved over to a 350 Gold Star.
Those old 2-valvers were hard to light at high comp ratios, and most went to dual plugs because of it. My Ducati runs 12.5:1 on pump gas because of modern chamber design, and at about 400 pounds all up, it hauls down quickly when the throttle's rolled off.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #177
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 617
Not to derail the thread but engine braking isn't caused by high compression, it's caused by the vacuum that's pulled when the throttle is closed. If high compression led to engine braking then diesels wouldn't need jake brakes.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #178
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog View Post
Not to derail the thread but engine braking isn't caused by high compression, it's caused by the vacuum that's pulled when the throttle is closed. If high compression led to engine braking then diesels wouldn't need jake brakes.
Quite true - diesels don't do throttle vacuum. Nevertheless, in petrol engines higher compression increases the vacuum effect, and a 12:1 racing single with a lightened flywheel has significantly more than the same road version engine at perhaps 6:1 with a 15lb flywheel to pull against the vacuum.
Scrivens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #179
England-Kev OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.
My next job is to convert this old damaged Triumph conical hub into a Manx style single leading shoe race hub, and although it won't be correct in every detail, it will be close enough to give the look I am after.

First job is to remove all the fins from the outer edge, luckily this one was already damaged in this area, this may have helped in me getting it cheaply off of the Bay..

Then it will be away to be powder coated black, before I start to convert a Norton brake plate to fit...

So yesterday (Friday) I got a call from the machine shop telling me that my hub was ready to be collected, I had asked the guys in the shop to make me a set of cooling fins, along the lines of a Manx or Inter, I supplied the billet alloy, they supplied the skill. A nd here is the result...

It can be away now to be enameled, and built on to a 21" flanged alloy rim, I then need to set to building an Inter style Single leading shoe front brake plate...
Old 06-09-2013, 05:49 AM   #180
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
So yesterday (Friday) I got a call from the machine shop telling me that my hub was ready to be collected, I had asked the guys in the shop to make me a set of cooling fins, along the lines of a Manx or Inter, I supplied the billet alloy, they supplied the skill. A nd here is the result...

It can be away now to be enameled, and built on to a 21" flanged alloy rim, I then need to set to building an Inter style Single leading shoe front brake plate...

Ya see, now I never would have thought of that. Brilliant.
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote