Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #31
Midnullarbor
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
That bike is looking pretty good, especially with the TKC's.

The front TKC is a nice pick for the road, and is probably about as good as you are going to get for sand (though some sing the praises of Mefo and Heidenau) in that wheel size [and maybe is even better than a 21-incher, as I mentioned before].

Now, please put on some fork boots, and protect those seals.
Midnullarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:26 AM   #32
Maxacceleration OP
What now

Oddometer: 1,885
I want to clarify on one aspect where I have mis-informed.

Front travel at this point remains at the stock 7.1".
I will need the appropriate sliders to allow 9" of front travel.
So basically just a lift kit in the front.
But yes 9" at the rear.
I may work on finding the correct sliders to get that 9" at the front.

My apology for misinforming front travel length.
Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #33
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
I wondered about that, even asked the question, then nuked it when I saw your post. Some old dirt bikes may do it, as well as a post 2008 KLR 650.

The easiest solution is the F650 Dakar single front end. 8.25" of travel and looks to me almost a bolt on, assuming the length is near. It would not surprise me if the axle was the same. Grafting Yamaha forks on the F650, seems to be popular, so there may be some take offs floating around. All said from the comfort of my computer
Old 11-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #34
Maxacceleration OP
What now

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
I wondered about that...
There are a few dirts bikes out that have more rear travel than front travel, but sure at 7.1" it would be nice to have more (and equal amounts).
Doing this as a fairly budget mod (still a fair amount of $) with Race Tech guts, different springs & oil, for me I think I will stop as is.
Maybe this way when I bottom the front and rear I may not be on the ground at the skidplate.

My thought all along is not to make it an 800, just a better little brother to the 800.
Thats all it is...
Sounds dangerous.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:44 PM   #35
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
I'm still waiting to get all i need to have emig make me a set of clamps for a set of 43mm cartridge forks,the bmw specs that came with my bike said 43 mm but they are 41 to my dismay as i thought i'd just swap the forks. I think this would be the best way to go as there are a lot of bikes with 43mm forks and most are long enough to let you set travel as needed. Me i'm probably gonna be stuck at 7 as i have short legs and with the seat height at 35 now its as tall as i would like to go.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:16 AM   #36
Sasquatch
Banned

Oddometer: 4,770
Below is pricing:

Fork Kit including tubes, emulators, seals, springs, spacer and brake line relocating kit: $659 Labor if I do the install: $175

Custom Hyperpro shock with hydraulic preload adjustment: $885

You will need to have your center and side stands lengthened.

Email me if you have any questions or want to get an order going.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #37
shinerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
One single reason. Weight.
Show me a lighter ADV twin.
Thats a cool looking set up. Howz it in the twisties on pavement?
shinerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:00 AM   #38
Maxacceleration OP
What now

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerunner View Post
Thats a cool looking set up. Howz it in the twisties on pavement?
Working good so far!
Just like stock except two inches higher.
With a taught yet plush and compliant suspension that rides higher in its stroke than the stock suspension so it may feel (or be) higher than just the two inches.
Sounds dangerous.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #39
Dansrc51
I need a cape....

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
Working good so far!
Just like stock except two inches higher.
With a taught yet plush and compliant suspension that rides higher in its stroke than the stock suspension so it may feel (or be) higher than just the two inches.
So... the WABDR will be a good test this year

I finally bought a proper bash plate this year after my OBCDR affair.. the stock plastic one was so beat to sh!t it actually fell off during removal. Thread jack over,

Bike looks muy bueno
Dansrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:09 PM   #40
mwalker
mike

Oddometer: 75
Sooooo....assuming $300 for side and centerstand mods or new...thats......$1000 per inch
mwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #41
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,831
Why not just pick up forks from a different bike that are 41mm like first gen DR650 forks, 2008+ KLR650 forks, etc etc. For the conversion I am doing I just picked up an entire front end, that way I get the 21" wheel too.

Looks good though.
Past bikes: XT225, TTR125, '04 CRF50 '74 DT125,'70 TS250,'85 v45, '89 zx600c, '78 GS400x, '99 GS500E, '01 GS500E '05 Z750s, '77 GS400e, '82 GS1100ez, '97 GSX600, '07 VFR800, '03 KLR650, '03 FJR1300, '06 DL1000, '00 KLR650, '99 WR360, '08 DL650, '05 DR650, '08 EX650r, '96 CR500, '82 GS450T, '06 Ural
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #42
Maxacceleration OP
What now

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
Sooooo....assuming $300 for side and centerstand mods or new...thats......$1000 per inch
Ohhh quit it.
Everyone knows you can't keep track of your money spent on motorcycle mods.
Try pricing crankcase replacement...

Sasquatch has a nice deal for the side/centerstand extensions.
You can weld it or he can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204 View Post
Why not just pick up forks from a different bike that are 41mm like first gen DR650 forks, 2008+ KLR650 forks, etc etc. For the conversion I am doing I just picked up an entire front end, that way I get the 21" wheel too.

Looks good though.
Thanks!
Yup certainly a way to go.
My plan was never to go to a 21". Just to make the 658 a better little brother.
The stock 7.1 inch travel forks, lengthened 2" will suffice...

Sounds dangerous.

Maxacceleration screwed with this post 11-08-2011 at 03:46 PM
Old 11-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #43
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
I actually like the idea on what was done to this bike.

My take is that the F800GS suspension needs to be worked on anyway to make it right for the dirt. Are you with me on this one?

Let's say you want to go Ohlins front and back to make the F800GS perform "right" on dirt. That would set you back about $2,500 (this is a guesstimate - someone will correct me, but I bet it won't be too far from this number).

Considering this, you could get an F650GS, get it done with Ohlins front and back, and it will be performing better than an F800GS stock, by about the same price as the F800GS (well, need to add to this the cost for a brake re-route and extended stands).

Engine performance, on dirt the difference between the two bikes should be minimal. A 19in in front is not a deal breaker. Only concern is the cast wheels, but man, I love the tubeless.

So an F650GS is looking like a nice option for dirt after all.

Lion

Edit: and BTW, isn't the 650 twin motor more reliable than the 800 twin and more capable of using regular fuel, etc and has better driveability?

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 11-10-2011 at 03:43 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #44
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Edit: and BTW, isn't the 650 twin motor more reliable than the 800 twin and more capable of using regular fuel, etc and has better driveability?
Lion:
My $0.02 worht:

The 650 is set up out of the box to use "regular" 87 octane fuel (R+M/2 - the USA measure)
The 800 is supposed to be able to be reprogrammed to use regular but there is some discussion on that issue...

Since they are the same engine essentially if they were driven the same way I would guess equal reliability ... but if you ended up spending a lot of time at the top end of the RPM range using the extra 14 HP that the F800Gs puts out up there then I reckon you could wear it out faster ...

when I look at the power curves of the two bikes it makes me think that driveability would be better on the 650-twin which is what I have, but I have not spent much time in the saddle of the 800 so have no real world experience there....

I like the tubeless tire for road-side maint. and the "not above average" strength of the F800GS rims has left some folks cussing ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #45
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
I actually like the idea on what was done to this bike.

My take is that the F800GS suspension needs to be worked on anyway to make it right for the dirt. Are you with me on this one?

Let's say you want to go Ohlins front and back to make the F800GS perform "right" on dirt. That would set you back about $2,500 (this is a guesstimate - someone will correct me, but I bet it won't be too far from this number).

Considering this, you could get an F650GS, get it done with Ohlins front and back, and it will be performing better than an F800GS stock, by about the same price as the F800GS (well, need to add to this the cost for a brake re-route and extended stands).

Engine performance, on dirt the difference between the two bikes should be minimal. A 19in in front is not a deal breaker. Only concern is the cast wheels, but man, I love the tubeless.

So an F650GS is looking like a nice option for dirt after all.

Lion

You would be into it less money, but then you do have the small diamiter fork tubes, which are not as strong as the larger 800's. Plus you have an upsidedown fork on the 800 as well. In the long run, doing Ohlins on both, you would end up with a better setup on the 800, but at a cost...

Ryan