Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post

Thanks!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #62
RheinGold
Weniger aber besser.

Oddometer: 36
Great work! BMW Motorrad could use your engineering skills.

BTW- what skid plate did you have, and did you need to change it?
RheinGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #63
Maxacceleration OP
What now

Oddometer: 1,868
I have Race Tech fork guts and I went with the Hyperpro rear shock in the 800 length.
Yes my bike sits at 36" or about the 800's height. And I got the ground clearance I was looking for.
Really, for me the stock suspension served itself very well off-road. Ground clearance was the issue for me.
The only hard bottom outs I had was hitting cross ruts at speed.
The forks handled it smoothly and while the rear bottomed hard the bike stayed straight.
Tonapahs set-up should be a nice set-up.
I went with the remote preload adjuster on the Hyperpro, which is sour grapes.
The adjuster sticks right into the side of my leg. I have to remove my charcoal canister and relocate my adjuster.
Other than that all good albeit on a now very tall bike. I get what I payed for!

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #64
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
I have Race Tech fork guts and I went with the Hyperpro rear shock in the 800 length.
Yes my bike sits at 36" or about the 800's height. And I got the ground clearance I was looking for.
Really, for me the stock suspension served itself very well off-road. Ground clearance was the issue for me.
The only hard bottom outs I had was hitting cross ruts at speed.
The forks handled it smoothly and while the rear bottomed hard the bike stayed straight.
Tonapahs set-up should be a nice set-up.
I went with the remote preload adjuster on the Hyperpro, which is sour grapes.
The adjuster sticks right into the side of my leg. I have to remove my charcoal canister and relocate my adjuster.
Other than that all good albeit on a now very tall bike. I get what I payed for! ...
I'm gonna show off my ignorance ...
Not the first time ... certainly won't be the last ...

Does installing a taller rear shock impact the steering geometry in an adverse way??
It seems like it would be similar to dropping the front end?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #65
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I'm gonna show off my ignorance ...
Not the first time ... certainly won't be the last ...

Does installing a taller rear shock impact the steering geometry in an adverse way??
It seems like it would be similar to dropping the front end?
He has longer fork tubes to offset the taller rear.

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #66
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Missed that - thanks!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #67
Maxacceleration OP
What now

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Yes my bike sits as stock/level or close to it. I have close to an inch of tube sticking through the top clamp, giving adjustment (steeper or slacker) if I feel it needs a change.
Sounds dangerous.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #68
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
JRWooden: I am pretty sure that the Ricor intiminator and rear shock upgrade can be set up to yeild an inch higher than OEM on a 658 both front and rear if you want. I did not want that but I think it can be easily done if you do want it.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #69
Maxacceleration OP
What now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
JRWooden: I am pretty sure that the Ricor intiminator and rear shock upgrade can be set up to yeild an inch higher than OEM on a 658 both front and rear if you want. I did not want that but I think it can be easily done if you do want it.
Funny you say that Tonopah. I asked for that even on my raised bike.
My net result is a harsher suspension cycle.
When you want it to ride higher in its stroke means (to me) that it doesn't cycle through the rest of its stroke as plush as it could.
Just my experience so far.
IMO its a fine line to get riding high in its stroke and a plush ride that uses all its stroke in one set-up. If you don't use all the stroke that nets you a stiffer/harsher suspension.
When you use all the 658 suspension off road there ain't much ground clearance left! Again a fine line.
IMO the stock 658 suspension is plush off-road.
I went extreme/fast trying to hang with other bikes - thus pounding my skidplate into oblivion.
Kick back, ride slower and a better line can be picked, therefore saving your skidplate and keeping a low seat height.

If vStromRider is asking me... its a SW Motech skidplate.

As I may of mentioned earlier the only reason I 'lifted' my bike, or even own the 658 is it starts as about the lightest twin out there. I can handle a taller bike (still at only 5'10" & 31" inseam).
So I wanted a light twin, yet more suspension (and ground clearance).
Since, BMW has raised their dry weight of the bike...??? Hmmm

If I had it to do over again.... I would probably start with a 690 KTM Enduro thumper and set it up. Maybe less highway speed but better everywhere else.

Everyone has their own needs...
Sounds dangerous.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #70
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
Maxacceleration: My post above intended no criticism of your set up at all. You did a great job of mods to achieve your primary goal. For me, the stock suspension on the F658 caused me problems when pretty fully loaded for travel and camping, with TKC-80s, at above 70 mph. I would get some disconcerting front end wobble. Didn't know what to do about it except slow down -- which was okay but it bothered me that I had a "dual sport" bike that was limited in the DS role when moving above 70 mph when loaded up.

I had earlier put a better rear shock (Cogent Dynamics Moab) and Ricor intiminators on my '09 KLR and the improvement in the suspension was really dramatic. So I thought that a similar "fix" on my 658 might be good. On the 658 I went Ricor both front and rear and actually rode my bike to Ricor (Henderson, NV) to have them to do the install themselves. The rear shock was built for my wieght plus anticipating a load on the bike. The OEM height was duplicated and the spacers in the front forks were cut to duplicate the OEM height in the front as well. This, I thought, was best for me as I liked the OEM height but just wanted an improved suspension -- not greater ground clearance. I assumed that greater ground clearance with my set up might negatively affect the handling of the bike and certainly would have resulted in my feet being further from the ground -- so I went with OEM height only.

Riding back from Henderson to So. Cal. took me through a lot of high winds and my bike was soo stable I just loved it. I loaded the bike up for travel/camping once since the suspension work and noticed no problems above 70 mph (but I do not currently have TKC-80s on the bike so the jury is still out).

I just wanted the other poster to know that if he goes with the Ricor set up he (I think) would have the option of the rear shock being set up to give an add'l inch of height in the rear and the spacers in the front forks do not have to be cut down to yeild OEM height on the front if you'd like more height. Whether that would affect the handling -- I don't know.

I will say that under all circumstances in my rides since the suspension upgrade, the bike is a joy. Tight suspension and yet very compliant over bumps and uneven terrain. No slop in the handling at all. Confidence inspiring. These bikes should come from the factory like this!
Old 03-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #71
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks guys!

When I installed the intiminators I did NOT cut down the spacer tubes, so ended up with a more spring preload on the front end and thus I guess a bit less sag on the front ...
So maybe a slightly "up-hill" angle compared to dead-stock.

If I can find $800 I don't need I'll talk to Brian before I do anything, but really am not ready to replace the front forks with taller units.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:09 PM   #72
mostro900
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78

Another long travel 650!

So, finally got around to installing the intiminators up front and was waiting for the 2nd hand 800GS rear shock to arrive. With much grateful assistance from Dockstrada I was able to get the rear of the bike off the ground a bit more!

The side stand and centre stand were then extended by Dock's skillful engineering and workmanship so avoiding the bike laying down(by itself at least). You may be able to just see the centre stand extension in front of the rear tire. Not a great photo. It previously sagged a bit at the rear(especially once I did the front end), but now looks more evenly balanced. Once I sit on the bike and load up the panniers, then it feels great.

Biggest problem so far has been to remember that when I put my foot down it doesn't hit the ground straight away! Hoping to test off-road this weekend.
mostro900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #73
Maxacceleration OP
What now

I am trying to understand your setup mostro.
It seems your back end is going to be 2-3" higher than the front unless you extend your fork tubes?
Enlighten me.
Sounds dangerous.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:36 PM   #74
mostro900
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
I am trying to understand your setup mostro.
It seems your back end is going to be 2-3" higher than the front unless you extend your fork tubes?
Enlighten me.
well, the photo shows the bike with the new rear shock and although the back is higher and I may go down the fork extension route, right now the bike feels quite balanced. I'm no expert of course (), but will be riding it for a few days as is, before I make any further decisions. In the short rides I've done so far...feels great!
mostro900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #75
sidecar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
In this quick rundown I have blown over many details.
I'm sure Jay will chime in on questions about this suspension update.
This suspension is easily repeatable.
Jay is putting together a 'kit' for those who would like to tackle this themselves.
He will also do a turn key build for you, as mine is.
Ask him.
Jay has a great ADV following in the PNW for suspension work.
If only I could get in contact with Jay, seems he has disappeared.
sidecar is offline   Reply With Quote