Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
xlthumper OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
06 640 adventure questions

hello everyone
my name is laurence and i have just purchased a 06 640 adventure a cple months ago. first off i absolutely love the machine it is exactly what i want, in canada specifically southern ontario these things are rare so it took a while to get one,
it is completely stock and only had 6000kms on it, it now has 8500km, i read the lc4 thread and i am looking for a couple answers that i did not see clearly, i want a smoother throttle roll on off and more mottom to mid punch, i ride mostly street but when i do go off road it is technical single track and 2 track, i know the bike was not exactly meant for this but i find it very capable none the less,

also the vibration does not bother me but i always wondered, what causes it, duz it not have a counterbalance shaft?
also i was wondering if the 690 enduro motor is a possible transplant for a later project. i have not looked to closely, just thought it would be a wild motor in this bike.

if these answers are in the thread than sorry for this post and can you show me the path, thank you,
xlthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Post your question here in Thumpers:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #3
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,302
Your "punch" issues might benefit from a number of BST mods discussed in the index thread, or ultimately going from the BST (OE CV carb) to the much appreciated Keihin FCR pumper series replacement carb (39 or 41mm)...

The counter balancer is in fact there, it's just not terribly large and therefore not nearly as effective as balancers installed on some other thumpers. It's a performance trade-off and KTM comes down on the power side of the equation, not the smooth side.
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 393
A good choice for bottom and midrange is a 37mm FCR-MX. I have one on an 03 640A which came off an 07 YZ250F. Jetting is stock and perfect. Accelerator pump squirt is perfect on the LC4. They are cheap on ebay compared to the 39-41's because no one wants them. Used the stock BST carb boots with a little tape around the airbox side to thicken it up. Used the YZ cables but need the Yamaha throttle end too. Runs very well through the whole range.
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lc8grrr View Post
A good choice for bottom and midrange is a 37mm FCR-MX. I have one on an 03 640A which came off an 07 YZ250F. Jetting is stock and perfect. Accelerator pump squirt is perfect on the LC4. They are cheap on ebay compared to the 39-41's because no one wants them. Used the stock BST carb boots with a little tape around the airbox side to thicken it up. Used the YZ cables but need the Yamaha throttle end too. Runs very well through the whole range.

heheeee........... i'm going the exact opposite way. my FCR is going to 43mm.

i bet that 37mm makes it a tourque monster on the bottom, but it's gotta take a toll on the top-end. these bikes need lot's of air.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)

laramie LC4 screwed with this post 10-20-2011 at 06:37 AM
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #6
laramie LC4
crash test dummy!

Oddometer: 2,315
for more bottom-mid punch, open up the airbox and re-jet the bike. they come pretty lean stock and unless the prior owner did the work, it probably hasn't been done. do some searching for the "airbox cover" and you will find everything. the re-jetting is covered in the bible.

if you do that you will be much happier. then you can move onto ditching the 20lb exhaust system for something lighter and free-er flowing or buying the FCR to replace the stock carb.

enjoy the new bike.

laramie

'12 LC8 990R, '02 LC4 640, '05 WR 450f (part-out), '98 XR400R, '76 KE100, '05 525 (Step-Child)
laramie LC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post

laramie
I really, really dislike you, sir!

I have the 39 and it ads torque down low. I don't care a lot about top end so that was the trade I was willing to make.
Different bike with the FCR......

Cheers!

M.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlthumper View Post
i want a smoother throttle roll on off and more mottom to mid punch
Is the EPC (Electronic Power Control) valve used in Canadian models? If so, disable it. It is used for noise/emission control and it reduces throttle response in 2nd and 3rd gear.

Then do like laramie suggested. Open the air box and jet it correctly.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Mifune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Lovely bike, isn't it. When you ask for more punch atlower RPM, I wonder whether you might be looking for better response at lower speeds. Maybe I'me reading your comment through the fog of my own experience, but I found swapping out the sprockets for 16 front / 48 rear. Makes it a have to rev a bit high to maintain freeway speeds above 70mph, but I have a spare 17 tooth front sprocket in case that gets on my nerves on a longer trip.

Φίλα μου τον κώλο.
Mifune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:22 AM   #10
Lc8grrr
Vtwin madness

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by laramie LC4 View Post

i bet that 37mm makes it a tourque monster on the bottom, but it's gotta take a toll on the top-end. these bikes need lot's of air.

laramie
I'm not sure. It screams. Used to blow the slip joint apart on the LH head pipe all the time from big revs. No trouble seeing 160kph with 16/44 gearing. Worried about blowing it up from all the revs.. Even though its from a 250 I bet the YZ revs a lot higher than the 640 so may flow more air at peak rpm. Just a thought. It does pull well.
Lc8grrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 PM   #11
xlthumper OP
Adventurer

I would like to keep the bike fairly standard for now so I will rejet the carb. I kinda open the airbox by accident. Forgot to put back the snorkel. That helped. I wiuld like to de core the exhaust but I can't be any louder than stock. I live in a in a silent area and I finish work at 2 am. Not good to wake ppl up.
I don't think we have the electronic thingy but I will double check.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
garfey
Scruffy Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlthumper View Post
hello everyone
my name is laurence and i have just purchased a 06 640 adventure a cple months ago. first off i absolutely love the machine it is exactly what i want, in canada specifically southern ontario these things are rare so it took a while to get one,
it is completely stock and only had 6000kms on it, it now has 8500km, i read the lc4 thread and i am looking for a couple answers that i did not see clearly, i want a smoother throttle roll on off Stretch the throttle return spring or, like some do and I'll refrain from calling them what,
IMO, they are, remove it.

and more mottom to mid punch, One- or two-tooth smaller countershaft sprocket, but you'll pay for it at the gas station.

i ride mostly street but when i do go off road it is technical single track and 2 track, i know the bike was not exactly meant for this but i find it very capable none the less,

also the vibration does not bother me but i always wondered, what causes it, One goodly-sized piston, doing its thing all by its lonesome. It's a Thumper, Dood! Want smooth? Get a CBX or, (shudder!) a Wang.

duz it not have a counterbalance shaft?
also i was wondering if the 690 enduro motor is a possible transplant for a later project. Of course it's possible. Cubic money will make it easier.

i have not looked to closely, just thought it would be a wild motor in this bike. A bit more of the same, I think. Wild? Put a 'busa motor in it.

if these answers are in the thread than sorry for this post and can you show me the path, Paraphrasing G. Bush, "I believe that when you come to a fork in the road, you should take it." My path's in use but if my daughter says OK, you can have it when I'm clear of it, and that's about 15 more years if the vision spoke true and wasn't simply a result of that (redacted) I was smoking earlier.

thank you,
Old 10-22-2011, 05:41 PM   #13
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,889
I felt that drilling the vent holes in the slide per Creeper's setup thread helped provide instant torque as soon as the throttle was moved. I went back to an un-drilled slide to get better control on tricky terrain.

When I went from stock to doing all of the Creeper mods at once, I could do low gear power on wheelies for the first time.
dhally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #14
xlthumper OP
Adventurer

Ok so after a cple of replies I started thinkin of my specifics. The abrupt on off throttle is definitely tricky. I would like the low to mid increase . I think the what it is that I was having difficulty is coming from my enduro to a what I would call a dessert racer. It's not a slow bike. It is meant to he flat out and going. Lol. So I will start with the basic rejet and clip position change. And go from there. Mayb also bring a change in sproket for true off-road. Love the bike tho. I just find the bike is abrupt.