Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #541
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm Chair ADV Tourer View Post
Love the photos! I have enjoyed watching your tour on the Ural to now this! Do any of the roads have numbers...I do google map your mentioned road locations but could you mark your road less travelled for this arm chair reader! Keep up the great photos
Thanks for following along! When I get to a proper computer tonight I'll try and plot out some of what we've been doing on GoogleMaps...
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #542
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Hello my friend! I just send the Link to your Thread to my girl/wife/love. She loves your photos. . .

We arrieved in Santiago, Saturday the 8th of December. I have to look, to find the bus to Valparaiso. At monday we start to put out the hack of the custom. Our transporter will give us a hand. Our first point of sightseeing is Nazca. Later we want to goinig south, as far as possible.

We have to leave at the 26th of January 2013. Means, we be back in our flat on sunday afternoon. Back to work monday morning

The time to this adventure is very close. I organised the tyres. The left is on the rig and the front. The middle one is the normal one at the back. The right tyres (same profil, but a 195er, he is bigger in the diameter) is only for sand and gravel roads.

The good part, my wife is able to drive the hack. Cause I have to do a job in australia, on a oilplattform. So Karin, my wife, have to drive the hack to the TÜV (a special german technical controll company. To go there, is a MUST every two years!)

After this is done, I can organised the international papers for the bike. Bring the combination to inspection, and have to talk to my mechanic. . .

Stephan&Karin

dä rumtreibär
Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #543
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Hello my friend! I just send the Link to your Thread to my girl/wife/love. She loves your photos. . .

We arrieved in Santiago, Saturday the 8th of December. I have to look, to find the bus to Valparaiso. At monday we start to put out the hack of the custom. Our transporter will give us a hand. Our first point of sightseeing is Nazca. Later we want to goinig south, as far as possible.

We have to leave at the 26th of January 2013. Means, we be back in our flat on sunday afternoon. Back to work monday morning

The time to this adventure is very close. I organised the tyres. The left is on the rig and the front. The middle one is the normal one at the back. The right tyres (same profil, but a 195er, he is bigger in the diameter) is only for sand and gravel roads.

The good part, my wife is able to drive the hack. Cause I have to do a job in australia, on a oilplattform. So Karin, my wife, have to drive the hack to the TÜV (a special german technical controll company. To go there, is a MUST every two years!)

After this is done, I can organised the international papers for the bike. Bring the combination to inspection, and have to talk to my mechanic. . .

Stephan&Karin
I have a feeling you guys will have a much different experience especially due to the weather! I would guess that it will be quite a bit warmer, which is awesome. So will you be carrying extra tires with wheels or just the rubber? You guys are going to have an amazing time. Looking forward to hearing about it come December...
Old 07-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #544
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Day 86-88 in South America: The Salar de Uyuni

Day 86-88 in South America: The Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia

The Salar de Uyuni is an exceptionally strange place. It is the largest salt flat in the world at over 4,000 square miles and is unbelievably flat. We were told that across the entire Salar, the altitude does not vary more than a meter! Salt is obviously harvested, but perhaps even more importantly to Bolivia’s economic future, the area is home to almost half of the world’s lithium reserves; an estimated 9.5 million tons.

We left the humble town of Uyuni and made our way down several miles of washboarding as 4x4s flew by. After coming through one last settlement where we were forced to pay 2 Bolivianos to a “Police Officer” at a “check point”, we arrived at one of the entrances to the salt flats. Before we entered, however, we decided to run through a couple of the salt hotels that line the Salar.

Seeing as salt is the most economic choice for building materials, these hotels are literally constructed of salt blocks. We decided to splurge (how often can you stay in a place made of salt?) and stay at the Luna Salada Hotel. We came to find that we were one of two couples in the entire place.

After dropping our stuff off and lounging a bit, we headed down to experience the Salar. The edge is guarded by a load of sand:

The Salar has a pretty serious seasonal change. For part of the year, a shallow layer of water covers the entire area; we were there during the dry, winter season and only the worn edges had a few puddles.

Riding along the Salar is a very surreal experience. There are no obstacles and very few visual points of reference. It feels a bit like flying...

We, of course, had to take the unusual opportunity for the photos that everyone takes here...

For awhile, we just rode the bike around and I can honestly say that it was unlike anything I've ever experienced.
We floated along somewhere between the deep blues of the sky and the colorless ground and for just a moment, I closed my eyes as we raced across the empty landscape. The wind gently rushed past my ears. The engine whirred pleasantly. And the light, perhaps especially because my eyes were closed, filled every last bit of my being. For just a moment, my mind matched the void that is the Salar de Uyuni and for the first time, I truly understood what it is to be enveloped in shadowless peace.

I opened my eyes upon Kristen, a wonderfully content smile spread across her face, and I once again felt the warmth of unhindered blessing that I am not meant to understand, only to receive.

Before I could even suggest it, Kristen asked to ride the bike as the salt flats are an amazing place to learn. I’m so proud.

While we waited for the magic hour to arrive, we chipped a little salt to take back to Meda, Kristen’s mom who is a bit of a salt fanatic...

...rode around some more...

...played a little uke...

...and generally jacked around.

After playing around for most of the day, the time came and the Salar became a living canvas.

Although we had previously spoken of camping out on the Salar, our suspicions were confirmed when the sun went down. It fell way below freezing and I was glad we had a hotel to go back to.

All in all, if you have the chance to go ride out on the Salar, do it. I know everyone that comes down here does it, but it's honestly worth it. It's the closest I'll ever come to flying on a motorcycle.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #545
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,545
Wow. Great post!

“We are turning into a nation of whimpering slaves to Fear—fear of war, fear of poverty, fear of random terrorism, fear of getting down-sized or fired because of the plunging economy, fear of getting evicted for bad debts or suddenly getting locked up in a military detention camp on vague charges of being a Terrorist sympathizer.” —”Extreme Behavior in Aspen,” February 3, 2003

"The State sees the spectre looming ahead of terrorism and anarchy, and this increases the risk of its over-reaction and a reduction in our freedom." - Stanley Kubrick
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #546
RokLobster
Far from sanity

Oddometer: 78
Incredible

You guys are both inspirational and extraordinary people and, not to mention, not bad photographers. What incredible shots!!

Thank you for taking us along.
RokLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #547
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph View Post
Wow. Great post!
Jep! Famous. . .

And, Yes, I expected warm wether. In the most of europe it is wet. Really wet. . .

I take one extra tyres (without the wheel) for front and sidecar. And the CarCrossTyre is mounted on a wheel. And fixed to the trunk. . .

dä rumtreibär
Old 07-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #548
BjoernTheH
Chile

Oddometer: 115
got stuck on that RR and read it through to cach up with you - Amazing Trip so far - love it!!
I came to Chile to learn Spanish and now I am living here since 11 years - love riding here, although in the last 14 month I had two bad accidents with streetdogs - that made me look for sidecar rigs on ADV and that's how I found you.
Cheers from Southern Chile
B.

ADV Riders in Chile
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=699272
BjoernTheH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #549
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,474
Don't forget to wash the bike thoroughly with lots and lots of fresh water -- get every bit of salt off it. It can cause a whole bunch of headaches later -- many of them electrical. Salt & copper don't play nice.

What a spectacular place, and lovely images.

Big thumbs up to Kristen for taking the initiative to ride. I can't imagine a safer place to practice!
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:09 AM   #550
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 658
Those last few pictures were even better than usual. Looks to be a fantastic place. I don't think though that no matter how cold it was, I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to have a bit of a run about in the nip, as it were....
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #551
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer_Al View Post
Don't forget to wash the bike thoroughly with lots and lots of fresh water -- get every bit of salt off it. It can cause a whole bunch of headaches later -- many of them electrical. Salt & copper don't play nice.

What a spectacular place, and lovely images.

Big thumbs up to Kristen for taking the initiative to ride. I can't imagine a safer place to practice!
1++++ on washing the salt off. As someone who lives in New England where they salt the roads every winter to melt the ice and snow, wash it all off before corrosion turns your bike in to a pile of rust ! The pictures are fantastic of the salt flats and it looks like such a cool place to ride but,,,, I cringe to think of all that salt on the bike !

Be safe and ride on !!!
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:43 AM   #552
Horton
Gnarly Adventurer

As a german, the goverment loves the salt in winter!, I have to say the guys are right with the salt. Salt and water is the worst!

If possible, clean it first only with air. And then clean it properly. Thanks god, you lose the sidcarwheelfender So no problem to reach the hidden area there. . .

Yeah, really. Take a close look to the complete combination. That'smwhat I have to do every year after the winterseason!

But, your photos. . . Absolut great!

dä rumtreibär
Old 07-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #553
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Well, after lurking for a while, reading this entire ride report has prompted me to join the forums. I have enjoyed it immensely and am now trying to decide whether I should do Alaska or South America next year (I was formerly set on Alaska).

Not only have I enjoyed your manner of explaining the things you experience in your trip, but as a photographer myself (amateur), I have greatly enjoyed looking at the different approaches to composition, etc . Which brings me to a few questions:

1) What focal lengths do you find most useful for travel? I know everyone is different here, and I know it varies depending on what youre shooting for (wide angle to create depth and bring the foreground out, etc). I ask because my area is densely covered with trees and as such I typically need shorter focal lengths to HAVE a picture. You have been to both Alaska and to South America, so perhaps you might fill me in as to your preference. Many of the shots you have taken seem to be similar to mine in terms of framing, so similar focal lengths might be useful.

2) What filters have proved most useful? I have noticed a change in sky coloration from top to bottom in a few pics, which leads me to think you use GND's every so often, or it could be a wide angle with a polarizer (as most polarizers cant cover the whole shot in wide angle without a massive slide on filter rig). I could also be wrong entirely

3) Other than simply getting out there, what might you suggest in terms of honing composition? I already utilize the rule of thirds and try to have lines enter on a corner, etc, but perhaps you know of some good ideas to hone this skill before my big trip?

Im on the Nikon side of the war, so dont hate

Again, I have really enjoyed the report you have put together- it ranks up there with my favorites on this site. You both seem to be good people having a great time, and I think thats part of why you have had such luck meeting so many good people; typically, the good people gravitate to areas which have people who are good. Look forward to reading more :)

GSF1200S screwed with this post 07-15-2012 at 03:46 PM
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #554
Random
Quiet Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,637
Just stumbled across your RR. Wow! In!
Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #555
J-Dub
Combat Commuter

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
Jep! Famous. . .

And, Yes, I expected warm wether. In the most of europe it is wet. Really wet. . .

I take one extra tyres (without the wheel) for front and sidecar. And the CarCrossTyre is mounted on a wheel. And fixed to the trunk. . .
Whoa, not to thread jack, but Horton, where have you got a link about your rig?? That thing is cool!
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
1965 Triumph TR-6 S/R
J-Dub is offline   Reply With Quote