www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #632
MoreCheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43 View Post

Kristen is looking HOT! I dont know if its the safety equipment or the element of danger that adds something to the picture for me.

Also, I loved showing the Guinea Pig Rotisserie to my little ones. Both grossed out and fascinated at the same time. I can't wait to hear the reaction from my Baby Sitter tomorrow (she has two as pets).

The pictures of some of the churches in South America has been fascinating to me too. It's amazing the size, quality and age of many of those churches.

Although it's great to read about Columbia, it will be difficult to not get regular updates from your travels in that part of the world. Thanks again for taking me along by sharing your photo journal.
MoreCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:56 PM   #633
Bluebone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,625
subscribed

oh heck, lets go ahead and sign up for another awesome looking photo and story thread...
Bluebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #634
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by championsound View Post
Another lurker comes out of the closet... Thanks to what I think is one of the best ride reports I've had the pleasure of reading (and I've read a ton on here for years).

I know how much effort it takes to keeping a report up to date so I use wanted to say THANK YOU!

From following all of your travels I know Kristen is a pro shooter, are you?
thanks for the healthy dose of encouragement!

it does take a bit of time and energy to keep up a report but i promised myself that i would never let it get in the way of actually traveling - and i haven't. i've tried the everyday-post-report and i just didn't enjoy it. this is much better for us...

kristen is definitely the more experienced out of the two of us, but i dabble. i made myself learn several years ago so that i could shoot weddings and portraits with her and before i knew it, we were both shooting full time. i really like knowing how things work, so i'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to cameras. without a doubt, however, she's the talent.

good to hear from you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos View Post
Another great installment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavebiker View Post
Delicious!
gracias, amigos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCheese View Post
Kristen is looking HOT! I dont know if its the safety equipment or the element of danger that adds something to the picture for me.

Also, I loved showing the Guinea Pig Rotisserie to my little ones. Both grossed out and fascinated at the same time. I can't wait to hear the reaction from my Baby Sitter tomorrow (she has two as pets).

The pictures of some of the churches in South America has been fascinating to me too. It's amazing the size, quality and age of many of those churches.

Although it's great to read about Columbia, it will be difficult to not get regular updates from your travels in that part of the world. Thanks again for taking me along by sharing your photo journal.
first, let me say that i agree: my wife is quite the looker. i should also add that she blushed when i read your comment to her.

i am devastated that i didn't get the chance to eat some guinea pig. we were riding in traffic when that picture was taken and didn't get the opportunity at any other time. i'm sure i could've made an effort to find a place that served it, but alas...

thanks so much for following along. we're going to be doing some other things for a few months, but we have plans for some more bike travel later this fall. hope you'll join us again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebone View Post
oh heck, lets go ahead and sign up for another awesome looking photo and story thread...
unfortunately, this next update will be our last for a little while! we are going on to do some other things for a few months but will be back later in the fall for more bike travel. if you didn't know, i made a bit of a table of contents on the 1st page if you're interested...
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:39 PM   #635
mightymatt43 OP
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
Day 127-137 in South America: Cartagena to Texas

Day 127-137 in South America: Cartagena, Colombia to San Antonio, TX

Cartagena, Colombia.

Arriving here marked the end of our motorcycle journey through the Americas. Nearly 3 months and 6,000 miles down the East coast of the USA and 15,000 miles over 5 months through 6 countries in South America, all over the course of a year. And although I have immense pride in the adventure we undertook, it was accompanied by a pang of loss as I left BigBoi with Colombian Customs at the port.

I find it wonderfully poetic that we would end our journey through South America in the city in which we originally believed that it would begin. It most certainly rings true of one of the many lessons we have been taught through constant prodding; the act of loosening our grip on the way we THINK things ought to be and how rewarding it can be to revel in traveling with a sense of freedom.

From Tolu, we had a what looked like a short jaunt to Cartagena. However, we decided to take a back route instead of heading back to the Autopista (highway) and were met with a significantly deteriorated road.

After a few hours of stunningly green vistas, we arrived in the outskirts of Cartagena and were hit with a wave of traffic. I’m fairly certain that we just came at the wrong time, but finding our way around our last city in South America took a good bit of energy.

Although these guys were being super kind and seemingly helpful in trying to find us a hotel, we had to end up ditching them as they were trying to force us away (by literally pushing us off the road) from Getsemaní, the area of town where many cheap hostels can be found.

After some serious navigating (I really can’t brag enough on Kristen’s abilities to route us through the mazes that are Latin American cities) we found our way. Seeing as we knew that we needed to be in Cartagena for awhile to get BigBoi through Customs and eventually to the ship that would bring him back to Texas, we shot a bit lower than we normally would and found a decent, cheap place to hide from the heat of the coast.

We did some of the preliminary paperwork and then found out that the ship we were hoping to use was several days late. Not wanting to waste an opportunity (and plus it is blisteringly hot in Cartagena!) we did our fair share of exploring.

Cartagena is absolutely fascinating. With a history dating back to the early 1500s, despite the modernization that has obviously occurred, the buildings and streets have a distinct, colonial feel. The downtown area, specifically the old, walled city is spectacular. It reminded both of us of Charleston, South Carolina or New Orleans.

There are a frustrating number of street vendors selling a variety of things. If you come to Cartagena, be prepared for your voice to get raspy as you say, “no, gracias”, again and again.

The famous “Gordita” by sculptor Fernando Botero.

There are not a lack of restaurants (though we didn’t eat out much to save money) and we definitely sampled our fair share of “arepas”: fluffy, corn pastries filled with fried eggs. So good.

Cartagena is also a beach destination for Colombians and seeing as it was sunny and super hot every day we were there, the beaches were packed.

The main drawback of the beach are the aggressive vendors. Kristen and I paid for one of the many huts that line the sand and were subsequently assaulted by men selling paintings, souvenirs, seafood, and (most annoyingly) buckets of suntan lotion and massages. One group of ladies literally started spreading lotion on Kristen despite her insistence that she wished to be left alone. I did what I could to help from my reclined position while I lounged, munching on fresh crab and lemon...

After a week of waiting, it was finally time to get BigBoi to the port. I first had to buy a three day life insurance policy from a local company and then the onslaught of paperwork began.

Although it was a time consuming, the paperwork phase was nothing compared to the port and Customs. We wanted to send as much as possible back with the bike so that we wouldn’t have to take multiple bags back on a plane. Customs and port security had a blast making me pack and unpack and pack and unpack...

I think my favorite part of the whole process was when I was told to unpack every single thing out of the entire rig. This is not a simple task. We have a lot of smaller bags that fill the truck and panniers and honestly, the amount of stuff we have stuffed into the bike is astounding.

So, with every item sprawled out on the ground, the inspectors chose to focus on the most dangerous part of our gear... my ukelele.

With all that said, I should mention that I was shocked by how helpful and friendly everyone was at the port. They were all very gracious with my obvious lack of bilingualism (<--- I’m pretty certain I just made up a word, just call me Webster). When I say my Spanish is embarrassingly bad, especially for someone from San Antonio, TX where we are continually exposed to it, I mean that most of my encounters are filled with laughter. I laugh because it’s better than standing there with a blank look on my face and they laugh because I constantly say things such as:

“I alive Texas and feel Colombia are beauty”

“Me motor is largely strong and fine and fun”

“Wife are lay in car with motor and sleep much”

“I drive in boat to Chile and to go South with lands and winds and cold wet”

“I am Manu Ginobili”

You get the idea.

After leaving BigBoi and his key (!), we were led through warehouse after warehouse of coffee ready for export. The smell was overwhelming...

We had to spend a few more days in Cartagena to make sure the bike got off and despite the constant sweating, we really had a great time.

Kristen got a little bored, obviously...

In our final days, we were thrilled to see that an article we wrote for
ADV Moto Magazine had been published and looks great. Check it out - it's a really great magazine and one of the editors, Nicole, is an active member here at ADVRider.

After 10 days in Cartagena, Colombia, we set foot on South American soil for the last time and boarded a plane for Texas.

After 22 hours of travel (yes, I booked us a horrible flight), we landed in
San Antonio and were met with the now expected and enthusiastic affection of our families.

So what now?
Well, my Internet amigos, before BigBoi will even return to the USA, we will be headed to the South Pacific to fulfil Kristen’s greatest dream. In just a few days, we will be headed to the islands of Tonga to swim and photograph humpback whales.

After that, we're planning on taking the rig back to Claude at CSM Motorsports in PA to do some modifications before we continue on our journey.

Until then, we will be stuffing our faces with tacos:

We will try to reassure our canine buddy, Bacon, that we haven't completely abandoned him:

And we will be resting up for an insanely long flight to a land that resides in the future.

Our next update will be from Middleburg, PA at CSM Motorsports! We have some ideas brewing to make BigBoi into the DS rig he was destined for...

Thanks so much for following along! It's been a privilege to share our journey thus far.
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #636
Racenut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Standing Ovation... BRAVO! :)

It has been a real pleasure following along on your adventure. Thank you for taking all the time to share with us. :)
Racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:37 AM   #637
hwy61
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43 View Post

Our next update will be from Middleburg, PA at CSM Motorsports! We have some ideas brewing to make BigBoi into the DS rig he was destined for...

Thanks so much for following along! It's been a privilege to share our journey thus far.
Thanks for the beautiful ride guys...
Old 08-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #638
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 656
That was a great trip chaps. I applaud the pair of you. I shall keep an eye on here for the next instalment.

Thank you both.
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #639
Daytonacharlie
2 Wheeled Backpacker

Oddometer: 230
Thanks for taking us along and sharing the experience and of course the wonderful photography!
One third of a gopher would only arouse my appetite without bedding it down.
Daytonacharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:23 AM   #640
pamplonika
Spritfresser

Oddometer: 27
Hello you two,
thank you for your work.
Extraordinary pictures and a beautiful art for us to travel with you.
What cameras did you use?

cu
pamplonika
pamplonika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:16 AM   #641
Alaskahack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Great ride report !!

Thank you for taking us along.

Looking forward to your next adventure

Safe Travels

Bob

Blog: alaskapeeks.blogspot.com

Retired and Riding
Alaskahack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 AM   #642
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 782
Wowsers!

Kristen & Matt,

You two have given us the next best thing to a ADV Experience one can get without actually going on the trip itself! The photography and written words blended so well it made sitting for hours reading thru this RR one of my families, fun things to do. I shared this RR early on with my Brothers and friends, we could meet up or talk on the phone and say "HEY" did ya read the latest post on Kristen and Matt? That Said! You have made an impact on riders and non riders who were fascinated by this shared experience you both just went thru.

Welcome home! Looking forward to what Claude is going to do for you. Most off all! Can't wait till you hit the road again and sharing another RR !

Thanks Guys !
ooweel
ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:20 AM   #643
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
What racenut said, in triple!!!!

Thank you two very much.

And luck on ya.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #644
pfdavidz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Once again- thank you for sharing everything with us in a very beautiful way
pfdavidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #645
Hogslayer
motomaniac

Oddometer: 140
Pissed Dam, is it always this hot in Texas ?

Glad to see you both are on the road again,circumstances have caused me to lock my bikes up in the garage for awhile and hit the road myself but this time on 18wheels to try and save the farm(not actually a farm) your RR and photos are excellent as usual.For awhile I thought I had moved to Texas as I kept criss crossing that state for days before finally leaving for greener pastures and cooler weather,dam you Texans like your heat.

Well know I have something to catch up on when I have some downtime you two have fun and be safe out there. I just realized your actually back in Texas now so never mind I'll have to go back and start at the beginning carry on.

Hogslayer screwed with this post 08-30-2012 at 02:16 PM
Hogslayer is offline   Reply With Quote