Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #1
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Oddometer: 24
1983 yamaha xt600z tenere resurrection

G'day All,

When I was a MUCH younger man, and saw these new in Newcastle, NSW I wanted one real bad. But I was 22 and broke. )(&^% Cars!

I spotted this ad on Gumtree, looked, well, not too bad in the blurry ad photo!

Many emails were exchanged & a few phone call too before settling on the princely sum of $600. My son and I drove up to Jilliby on NSW's Central Coast hinterland and checked it out, money in pocket
wmoncrieff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

It was advertised as 'last started about a year ago' The seller wasn't keen to have it fired up as the oil was crap, and the petrol[well, it was petrol once I'm sure]a bit 'off' So the deal was done and I bought it for $600 as a non runner. Seller had wanted $750.....................

As I was loading in the back of the trusty BT-50 I started noticing things, just little things that were to quickly add up in a very short time

Most alarming was when I pulled the tie down straps tight there appeared a crack in the front alloy rim
Made it home, and put it in the shed after my lovely Wife said what a pile 'o' shite

I cant believe this bike was still registered and last given a roadworthy in 2008 with a wheel in this state
As it spent the last twenty years in the Sutherland Shire and Avalon, there was salt air corrosion everywhere.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #3
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Over the next couple of weeks I degreased, wire brushed, scrubbed removed bits, making a list of things I needed to get it roadworthy again.

Before I bought anything at all I pulled the ancient NGK plug and squirted a good dose of WD40 into the bore and kicked it over gently with no plug and the kill switch off to spread some lube over what I assumed would be a very dry cylinder bore. Next day I did three oil and one filter changes before I was happy with what was circulating around the internals. Once that was done, the small XT600 tank was flushed, 4 litres of 95RON tipped in, new NGK installed and it fired on the second kickA little 'tappity' at first from the top end for the first 10 seconds or so, then just the usual air cooled big bore engine noises At this stage I hadn't realised I forgot to check the air bleed screw hole for oil pumping out............yep it was, about half the tank's capacity all over my driveway
Fixed that little issue, topped up the oil level with MORE fresh oil and let it idle away till thoroughly hot, wanting to make sure any moisture inside had boiled away after my 'vigorous' cleaning regimethen switched it off. Hot start? 1st kick It's Alive!!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

After a few days of work as a long distance express Courier I used the long hours on the road to mull over what to do with the Tenere. The motor seems OK, and after looking at all the documentation that came with it I'm not surprised. The engine was entirely rebuilt with a second oversize piston kit, new conrod & mains, full gaskets port & polish. That was in 1991, the receipts are all there. That explains the lack of corrosion on the barrell, head and cam box

After I had it running I took another pic

with the small XT tank still fitted. The elderly owner had an insert made to go in the space between the seat and small tank. I also have the original 28 litre tank[in good shape]that I will be installing.

Satisfied I could get this third Tenere off the production line in April 1983 back on the road[and off it]I began to remove, check and in some cases throw away damaged or corroded cycle parts. There was even a mouse nest in the airbox

I discovered this AFTER I had the engine running.........no idea where the mouse[mice?]went
Old 04-25-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

I was very concerned about the front wheel, and the front brakes[or lack of as it turns out]and if I had noticed just how crook these were when I first saw it I might have had some bargaining power, then again maybe not

I did a search on ADVrider about services and contacted Chris Squires at Spoked Wheel Repairs in Peakhurst NSW and discussed my options with the front wheel issue. When I dropped the wheel in he said he had never seen a Yamaha wheel that corroded After a brief discussion on options i decided to stick with the original anodised aluminium colour and have the wheel rebuilt with HD stainless spokes, an Exceed alloy rim and blasted and enamelled hub assembly. New wheel bearings will go in as well for the sake of a few bucks. Chris is going to fit a quality dual sport tyre, tube and rim tape as well. This won't be a cheap excersisebut I don't want to spend my precious free time riding and stressing about the 'what if' the wheel isn't right scenario. So $500 deposit was paid and now I wait to see how much more it will be...
Old 04-25-2013, 04:49 AM   #6
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Once the front wheel was removed and sent away to Chris's, I had the dilemma of not being able to move the bike in and out of my shed to work on it. Being a Courier we tend to trash cheap trolleys so I kept this wheel as a spareand as luck would have it the axle size is the same as the Tenere's

Looks funny but works well enough. Steers like a shopping trolley though!

I tried EVERYTHING to free up the piston in the caliper. Nothing made any difference

In the end I got the shits[after ordering a caliper piston & seal kit]and went on the hunt for a new caliper. Found one in the US, to suit their XT600. Same caliper..............better be at $250 freighted I had already sourced a new pattern master cylinder and had a braided steel brake line made up by Hel. This is the fourth bike I have used their products on and though not cheap, they are well made. So the front brakes will be all new, pads, caliper, line and master cylinder. And the front brake stoplight switch too The rotor is fine, I'm guessing that with the caliper piston being siezed and the whole shebang devoid of any fluid at all there was no way to wear out the rotor....looks like it had been in that state for many years. I'm assuming it'll need rear shoes in that case so I've already ordered a set!!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #7
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Fast forward to today and I removed the chain and countershaft sprocket.

The rear sprocket was well shagged, the front OK for a spare. As for the chain...........in 35 years of riding motorcycles I've never seen a quality DID O ring chain so worn. Every pair of links had about 2.5mm of movement
So I can add a new countershaft 15T sprocket a new 520 chain to the ever expanding list!
Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,263
Restorations like this need to be done. Damn the expense. Full steam ahead! Good stuff mate.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:02 AM   #9
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

I probably should have mentioned at the start that this 'resurrection' won't be anything like a full rebuild or restoration I'm not skimping on safety or reliability items[hence the megabuck front wheel job]but as far as ancillaries go, if I can save a buck or two I will. Frame is a case in point. Stop any surface rust getting worse, then a brush coat of Dulux Signal Red metal finish. Brushmarks? Big deal! wrong colour? Pfft. Pattern parts? You bet! I'm not making it a show pony scared of rainy days or snotty tracks. I reckon old bikes should be ridden the way the makers intended!
Old 04-25-2013, 05:11 AM   #10
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Today I also removed the VERY rusty exhaust system

I thought I could feel and hear exhaust gases exiting at places BESIDES the muffler, and after a good thrashing with a wire brush I could see why

That's not gunna be a cheap fix I'll need to at least get the headers sorted to keep the moisture out of the combustion chamber/exhaust ports and that's going to cost Some quick research has the headers alone in stainless about $360ish. Ooo Err.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,016
You're a brave man.

I had an 83 Tenere, it was a great bike and I really loved it.
I eventually sold it to a mate (I used to do that to fund the next bike purchase, before I learned better). A couple of years later he left it in my care for a fortnight while he was away, and after riding it again I bought it back off him (to replace a K series BMW, no less). The same day I did the deal by phone, some lowlife stole it from the work carpark and I never saw it again. Otherwise I'd still have it.

I'd be treating the tank with loving care. Clean it out and check with a torch for corrosion. If it's all good, use something to etch the interior spotless clean then use a lining like Kreem or some other plasticky sealant so it doean't rust in future. Those original tanks are made of unobtanium now.

I also drilled the filler neck on mine and it fitted another 2 litres or so. I rode mine 655 k's and it still had fuel in it.

The word that still comes to mind when I recall riding my old bike is "comfort". A bit of setup and it could be ridden all day, on one tank of fuel pretty much too. The only bike that compares for me in riding range, comfort, and ease is the 640 Adventure, but that is a whole generation and a world apart from the old Yammie, and will rip your bloody arms off if you aren't careful, then you rapidly bleed to death from the pounding hard-on it gave you.

Enjoy.

PS Any headers of the same generation XT600 should fit OK, the motors were mechanically more or less the same. Another tip, make a visible mark on the throttle housing in bright paint, turn the throttle until you feel the extra resistance of the secondary carb, and make a corresponding mark on the grip. That way, with gloves on, you can visually see when you are on the second carby, which eats fuel. Good for economical touring.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
robbiedobbie
Robbiemyboy

Oddometer: 214
Parts

Hi, Good luck with the build. Can i suggest you try german or french ebay for parts too? Over 20,000 teneres were sold there. There are websites with rebuild information, manuals etc. Pm me if you need help finding them.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #13
wmoncrieff OP
New Oldie

Thanks for the encouragement fellas. I just about emptied a can of WD40 into the big tank in the short term. At least I'll be able to ride the bike even if the big tank needs a little TLC before I can use it. I'm sure it will need something, everything else has
This is only my third ever big single, 1st was a 1st Gen KLR650 with the huge Acerbis tank, then a mint NX650 and now the Ten. Lots of smaller singles in the last 35+ years though
Old 04-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #14
plodalong
Now if we just.....

Oddometer: 566
Had an 86 model back when I was a pup (in my 30's) and did some great trips on it. If a good one came up I would be sorely tempted. Have to make do with an xt660r these days as the new Tenere is out of my price bracket.

An old picture taken on the Barry way back in the 80's

But now I realise I just don't give a shit.
plodalong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
touser
canned fruit

Oddometer: 359
If it was a horse you'd shoot it.