Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #136
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Well, but they were again on all new parts. Can't expect someone to get on what is basically an "alpha" stage machine and run right at the top. Really as for as much brand new stuff Rossi has been on, he hasn't been doing that badly. Him and Hayden both have been trying all sorts of new stuff and keeping their heads held high through the whole thing. Not sure how many other previous champions would have been able to do the same.
You bet. I certainly would have chucked my helmet around the garage a few times to prove a point.

Wait, I can't ride like that anyway

My book "If You Look at Your Health in a New Way..." is available here
and as PDF here
available in Kindle format here
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:46 PM   #137
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop20A View Post
you obviously don't understand the concept
Internet forums, the toughest bar you ever walked into...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:56 PM   #138
xtop20A
Banned

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
Internet forums, the toughest bar you ever walked into...

996DL
yeah, well the dufus doesn't even know that the reason for the beautiful snake pipe on the honda is because of the rear cylinder bank of the v4 motor being so close to the ass-end that it needs to look like thus to be long enuf,for the tuning thats needed, duh
xtop20A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #139
Mr.Goose
Velvet Steamroller

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post
He did spend half the race parked behind Pedro and Dovi. Hard to imagine Stoner, Lorenzo or Rossi (on a Yamaha) doing the same thing.

I kept thinking maybe Ben was biding time, waiting for Pedro and Dovi (who were running soft fronts) to fade so that he could make full use of his medium front as the tires wore, which he did.

But either way, it was awesome to see him take charge when the weather went sour. Felt bad to see Ben lose (get 2nd) after such a run but, oh well.

I also wonder if maybe that medium front ran better in the rain, if water softens compounds, then maybe the softs got too soft. Okay my head is spinning again.
Mr.Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #140
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,912
Just finished watching the race a few minutes ago..even though I knew what was going to happen , it still was a great race to watch. Very exciting indeed!!

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #141
Florin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
Make that If anyone doesn't understand the difference between the worlds biggest bike makers unlimited budget factory prototypes with 5 years of development and the CRT initial prototype exhaust for the inaugural year...
I don't care what the pipe looks like if the racing is good.
Sure I like exotic handbuilt stuff to look at but to me racing comes first, if the last 5 years is the way MotoGP is going then I am going back to watching roadracing on street courses.
At least with CRT we might get 20-24 riders on the grid, thats getting better in my book.
Unlimited budgets don't work as well as you might think. Just look at Ducati in '11.

I like the shiny bits as much as the racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtop20A View Post
you obviously dont understand the concept
And you obviously don't understand what I was referring at.
Florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #142
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Goose View Post
I also wonder if maybe that medium front ran better in the rain, if water softens compounds, then maybe the softs got too soft. Okay my head is spinning again.
I think it was more a matter of less change in feel. I would think water would cool a tire, making it harder. Or maybe Ben just flicked the f#ckit switch and went for it Kinda like Dovi did in turn one lap one, only without skittling a bunch of people.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #143
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post
Unlimited budgets don't work as well as you might think. Just look at Ducati in '11.
You really think Ducati has an unlimited budget on par with Honda?
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #144
Florin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
You really think Ducati has an unlimited budget on par with Honda?
I don't know. That's what the Ducati bosses said. Making a trillion different frames is not cheap.

If what I heard in the beginning of the season was true, Ducati had at least 30-40 million to blow (before they realized Rossi won't win anything with the bike he had) and Honda had 50-70 to win an 800 championship and save face. According to Nakamoto San, Honda is cutting back at least 30% for '12.
Florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #145
Closed Casket
Suicidal, but a nice guy.

Oddometer: 805

I don't know about anyone else, but I still can't believe he's fugging GONE. Shit. I know, wrong thread.

2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio
Closed Casket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:39 AM   #146
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florin View Post

And you obviously don't understand what I was referring at.

Uh, I do. I believe you were referring to the quality of the GORGEOUS HRC exhaust vs. the welding 101 job on the CRT bike. Right?
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:48 AM   #147
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrasser View Post
Uh, I do. I believe you were referring to the quality of the GORGEOUS HRC exhaust vs. the welding 101 job on the CRT bike. Right?

Doesn't matter too much. What matters more is the tuned length of the pipe. The Honda needs to curl around to get the tuned length correct for the rpm range where they want to make power. For the CRT bike, their engine is different and they have room elsewhere to control the pipe length.

So yeah, I don't see the big deal. But that welding job on the Honda is quite nice.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #148
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Well, but they were again on all new parts. Can't expect someone to get on what is basically an "alpha" stage machine and run right at the top. Really as for as much brand new stuff Rossi has been on, he hasn't been doing that badly. Him and Hayden both have been trying all sorts of new stuff and keeping their heads held high through the whole thing. Not sure how many other previous champions would have been able to do the same.
Honda and Yamaha bikes are basically "alpha" bikes, and they seem to be running quite well. Even the CRT teams are doing pretty well. Ducati still being 2+ seconds off the pace, even in testing mode, is another failure. Hayden being injured is a big loss for the team, not being able to use his input for testing.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #149
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
Honda and Yamaha bikes are basically "alpha" bikes, and they seem to be running quite well. Even the CRT teams are doing pretty well. Ducati still being 2+ seconds off the pace, even in testing mode, is another failure. Hayden being injured is a big loss for the team, not being able to use his input for testing.
I take it you haven't read Krop's article on the new twin-spar frame Ducati, then?

They've changed nothing in terms of weight distribution with this machine, as they are trying to understand what happens with essentially the same bike built with a different frame design. There was apparently no intention nor expectation that this bike would be quicker than the old one. That's for another iteration to come.

http://www.motomatters.com/analysis/...po_prezio.html
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #150
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga View Post
But that welding job on the Honda is quite nice.
I'm not sure if they still use the bloke, but somewhere in Japan is a true old-fashioned "sensei" dude who makes these things out of Ti. And a true master of the art, coz he uses flame to heat and bend and flare small sections, then uses a torch to join them up.

Think a Samurai sword maker of the highest order, with HRC, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc, all lining up for a set of pipes.