Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011, 06:34 AM   #151
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke View Post
I take it you haven't read Krop's article on the new twin-spar frame Ducati, then?

They've changed nothing in terms of weight distribution with this machine, as they are trying to understand what happens with essentially the same bike built with a different frame design. There was apparently no intention nor expectation that this bike would be quicker than the old one. That's for another iteration to come.

http://www.motomatters.com/analysis/...po_prezio.html
No, I've read it. I think its cover for a poorly performing bike. New frame, engine, tires, blah blah blah. Doesn't matter. They're still where they were at the beginning of the 2011 season, 2+ seconds back, with Rossi claiming he has no feel from the front end.

I do hope they turn it around, but things don't look too cheery.

Or maybe its our production database servers that keep crashing that are responsible for my gloomy outlooks on the tobacco machines.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #152
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,262
True, but again Ducati has changed A LOT of things. Them still being 2 seconds back is ok I would think for now because everything is new. Honda/Yamaha pretty much put a new engine in a frame that already worked. Ducati's frame hasn't worked and they are swapping everything. Also you're looking at a brand new frame that they will have to take time to figure out. With this new frame it's the first time I've read that Rossi is finally looking like Rossi again on a bike.

So we'll see what happens, but apples to oranges right now comparing the ducks to the honda's or yamaha's.
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #153
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 7,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
So we'll see what happens, but apples to oranges right now comparing the ducks to the honda's or yamaha's.

Its naive to think that Honda and Yamaha just strapped a bigger motor into existing frames. Sure, the designs are similar, but very different engine and tires characteristics cause rather big changes.

Sure, not as big as going from a carbon frame to an aluminum perimeter frame, but still.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #154
Florin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrasser View Post
Uh, I do. I believe you were referring to the quality of the GORGEOUS HRC exhaust vs. the welding 101 job on the CRT bike. Right?
Yes. I was not talking about the engineering solution. The Honda pipe is pure art (Kropotkin had a shot for his calendar with some flames coming out of one, IIRC).
Parts like those tell the stories behind the bikes. The Honda is the closest thing to perfection right now. You can see that just by looking at the motorcycle. The CRT is underfunded, probably understaffed and under a lot of deadline pressure. You can see that just by looking at the motorcycle.

Some don't care about these details. I like them a lot.
Florin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #155
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 872
Quote:
Originally Posted by MODNROD View Post
I'm not sure if they still use the bloke, but somewhere in Japan is a true old-fashioned "sensei" dude who makes these things out of Ti. And a true master of the art, coz he uses flame to heat and bend and flare small sections, then uses a torch to join them up.

Think a Samurai sword maker of the highest order, with HRC, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc, all lining up for a set of pipes.
Pretty sure Akropovic makes all the exhausts for the top GP teams. I guess you could call them Slovenian Samurais.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:11 PM   #156
TommyA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Actually, the 2011 Repsol bikes used Termignoni pipes, so Italian Samurais!
Old 11-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #157
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,460
Ant West has reportedly signed with the Speedmaster team to ride a CRT bike...

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:56 PM   #158
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,022
Onya Westy!
If it drizzles lightly all year, he's in!
Old 11-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #159
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,266
Quote:
Onya Westy!
Speaking of rain.....
So last week in Valencia and at other wet races throughout the year I am always amazed at how the riders are able to hold their lines while cornering, braking, and, accelerating over the painted areas of the track since I always thought the paint would be slick as hell when wet.

Well, I was at the Chris Peris riding school earlier this week at Inde Motorsports Ranch (Jake Zemke was also there) and learned that FIM approved tracks (Miller and Laguna in the US) are required to use a special paint for any painted track surfaces. This paint has some sort of gritty (sand?) mixture in it which I was told gives you basically the same amount of traction as the non-painted surface.

I also learned something else at the school, I am too slow!
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #160
Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Speaking of rain.....
So last week in Valencia and at other wet races throughout the year I am always amazed at how the riders are able to hold their lines while cornering, braking, and, accelerating over the painted areas of the track since I always thought the paint would be slick as hell when wet.
There's not that much grip. Spies' crash during practice came when he braked on the paint...
Old 11-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #161
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
There's not that much grip. Spies' crash during practice came when he braked on the paint...

Sorry, just got my info from guys who had actually ridden on that type of paint. I'll try to find a better source next time.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #162
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
Just because he crashed on the paint only means he exceeded the limits of traction, that is all. He could of crashed not on the paint. I agree that painted surfaces are not as grippy as non, but they are vastly better than ones more common type. Swimmer is correct in the fact that to get homgalated sp the track has to used special paint approved by the FIM. It has materials to help prevent the smooth caracteristics of applied paint, to reduce the liklyhood of a crash. It can still happen, but it is one thing to help in the act of safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Sorry, just got my info from guys who had actually ridden on that type of paint. I'll try to find a better source next time.
Here is a document from the FIM detailing thier requirements.

http://www.motorsport-total.com/moto...rds.pdfirments.

Your source is good. Racers are the best sort of info regaurding this type of stuff, as they need to know what will get then to the finish line. Thanks for sharing.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*

Assfault screwed with this post 11-12-2011 at 06:51 PM
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #163
BOOTLACE
Bikie Scum.

Oddometer: 3,698
Quote:
Onya Westy!
Lucky to get a ride at all. He was saying last week that he didn't have much hope in Moto2, the teams were asking riders to bring in about 300K euros last year, and that looked like doubling in 2012......
The games changed a bit.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #164
RunningBare
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Ant West has reportedly signed with the Speedmaster team to ride a CRT bike...
I hope he takes Warren Willing with him.
RunningBare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #165
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBare View Post
I hope he takes Warren Willing with him.
There are only a few guys I rekn would rival JB, but he's one of them. I hope so too.