Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 PM   #4966
bluebye
Skin it back

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post

Ducati's the new kid on the block in MotoGP. Honda can claim Mike Hailwood, Jim Redmond, Lawson and Doohan (and the Isle of Man). If we're talking Italian marquees MV Augusta is more important in MotoGP terms.

Even in World Superbikes (where the myth of "Ducati is racing" comes from), Ducati dropping out would barely register on the success of that series and they've been far more successful for far longer there than in MotoGP.

What is significant is that Honda doesn't need racing for its brand. Ducati does. It wouldn't be MGP that suffers, it would be Ducati.
Astute comments.
Is it 1967 again?

bluebye screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 11:44 PM
bluebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #4967
MTN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
It's also worth noting that Honda was as atypical a Japanese as they come, and racing was in his blood. I donšt think Honda have been a race on Sunday sell on monday only company. The spirit have somewhat gone the last 10 years, but seems to be coming back. I personally dont rate Honda as less of a racing company than Ducati.
MTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 AM   #4968
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN View Post
It's also worth noting that Honda was as atypical a Japanese as they come, and racing was in his blood. I donšt think Honda have been a race on Sunday sell on monday only company. The spirit have somewhat gone the last 10 years, but seems to be coming back. I personally dont rate Honda as less of a racing company than Ducati.
Coming back? MAYBE with motorcycles, but have you seen their cars? Beige.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #4969
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNRobert View Post

Ducati's the new kid on the block in MotoGP. Honda can claim Mike Hailwood, Jim Redmond, Lawson and Doohan (and the Isle of Man). If we're talking Italian marquees MV Augusta is more important in MotoGP terms.
I wager a large majority of current MGP attendees have no freaking idea who Hailwood / Redmond were. I'm damn sure they don't watch races for their historic context, and even more certain that the past icons don't keep the sport afloat today. When was the last time you saw a Redmond T-shirt?

Quote:
What is significant is that Honda doesn't need racing for its brand. Ducati does.
Agreed. Honda doesn't need racing for its brand because its brand is not synonymous with high performance. Way too many Accords and lawn mower engines for that. In fact this is just why Honda is dangerous - because it doesn't really matter to them if the sport lives or dies. It mattered to Soichiro, but I'm not sure it matters to the current cabal.

Recapping; The short-term spectacle of MGP would obviously be reduced by the loss of a big chunk of an already meager grid. But Honda is as much to blame as it is a victim. So its a real tossup as to whether their departure would be detrimental in the long term.
azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #4970
ErikY.
Here, Now.

Oddometer: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkiwi View Post
I wager a large majority of current MGP attendees have no freaking idea who Hailwood / Redmond were. I'm damn sure they don't watch races for their historic context, and even more certain that the past icons don't keep the sport afloat today. When was the last time you saw a Redmond T-shirt?

Agreed. Honda doesn't need racing for its brand because its brand is not synonymous with high performance. Way too many Accords and lawn mower engines for that. In fact this is just why Honda is dangerous - because it doesn't really matter to them if the sport lives or dies. It mattered to Soichiro, but I'm not sure it matters to the current cabal.

Recapping; The short-term spectacle of MGP would obviously be reduced by the loss of a big chunk of an already meager grid. But Honda is as much to blame as it is a victim. So its a real tossup as to whether their departure would be detrimental in the long term.
This prompted me for some research: Honda assets almost 12 trillion$. Sold 12.6 million motorcycles in 2011. I didn't look up all the other sales ie: vehicles, generators, etc etc.

I think they're not worried.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #4971
MTN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Coming back? MAYBE with motorcycles, but have you seen their cars? Beige.
The last six months have been looking up. Sportscars is on it's way back, bolder styling. I think it looks ........ promising.
MTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #4972
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,023
Carmelo had a press conference, saud rules for both stay the same for 2013, all changes in 2014.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #4973
tinhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Another thing I like about this place---

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk0308 View Post
Egg-zactly! GP motorcycle racing survived the departure of Gilera, MV Agusta, Yamaha(in the early 70's) and Honda(in the 60's) over it's history. I'm betting it'll survive without Honda again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
It's been bad enough that a non-competitive Suzuki left the series for this year. While it may not kill the series, HRC leaving would put it at a hike through a desert of dwindling viewer numbers and sponsor support. Especially if it were to be timed with the retirement in a season or two of arguably the all-time most popular figure of the sport.

No, they need Honda. They also need Suzuki back. In fact, rephrase: we need them - as fans. And it wouldn't hurt if Ducati got their act together with Audi and fought for the win as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder View Post
I am not so sure, look at F1. Honda just pulled the plug.
Yamaha showed that they could only run 1 team in either MotoGP or WSBK.
If HRC leave and Yamaha follow MotoGP will become unviable IMO.
Who is going to replace them? Aprilia and Ducati?
If the production bike based on the RCV won't come to the grid who's left? a grid of 8 Italian bikes maybe 4 German bikes and a handful of CRT?
Thats not an appealing spectacle and one which would be hard to sell to any prospective sponsor.
Not ONE mention that it would be nice if kawasaki returned to MotoGP.
I'm not gona call it hate, that word seems to get folks all riled up, I'll leave it at there's some motorcycle brands I like a LOT less than others.
Let the greenies clutter up some lesser series.
tinhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #4974
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhead View Post

I'm not gona call it hate, that word seems to get folks all riled up, I'll leave it at there's some motorcycle brands I like a LOT less than others.
Kawi is more than happy to be doing well SX/MX, and doing very well in WSBK with Tommy S.
Steve Rapp tried GP with Attack Kawasaki.....CRT IIRC...but did not go so well.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #4975
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,266
I would welcome the return of Team Green.

And any other factory which might choose to join in the fun. (Suzuki, Aprilia, BMW, I'm talking to you guys.)
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #4976
DogBoy
Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ73 View Post
Steve Rapp tried GP with Attack Kawasaki.....CRT IIRC...but did not go so well.
No Kawi money on the Attack effort. That is a true privateer team.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM   #4977
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBoy View Post
No Kawi money on the Attack effort. That is a true privateer team.
Did not know that. Interesting.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 AM   #4978
K0m4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhead View Post

I actually had Kwak typed in there next to Suzuki when writing my post you quoted, but deleted it.. I mean, what would they bring anyway..

Introduction/ride report: what's in an adventure?
K0m4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #4979
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikY. View Post
Sold 12.6 million motorcycles in 2011.
Yes and I reckon 85% of them were below 250cc displacement. Been to Africa lately?
Old 10-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #4980
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
I would welcome the return of Team Green.
+1 Not like KHI couldn't afford it.

Bean-counters...