Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2012, 12:17 PM   #5086
spezjag OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kropotkin View Post
Now that he has been dead for a year, I expect that hysteria to subside, just as it did for Diana.
Ah, but will Elton sing a song about him?

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #5087
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Oddometer: 7,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
Ah, but will Elton sing a song about him?
I fucking hope not.
Kropotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #5088
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
I fucking hope not.

Elton doesn't feed the hero worship of motorheads.
Need some fellas like Ramstein to do a proper tribute song.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #5089
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 775
I think part of these long eulogies is that not as many people die in motorsports now as when I first started being interested in them (early 60's) back then and before a few racers died a year some were your average rider or driver some were the cream of the crop. It was almost as if there wasn't enough time to dwell on it if you liked racing you just moved on and thought about the consequences in your own way. I remember seeing a video of Sir Sterling Moss at Goodwood and he said basically the same thing only he lived the danger saying in effect a few of his mates were going to die every year and he had to just look ahead and drive the best he could or else get another job.
another example besides Diana was Dale Sr. in NASCAR the reaction of his fans and enemies was way overblown.
M696
ET4
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #5090
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
Elton doesn't feed the hero worship of motorheads.
Need some fellas like Ramstein to do a proper tribute song.
That, to use the popular expression, is made of win.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #5091
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,200
Quote:
A lynch mob.

Now, Honeybunz stated an opinion in a rather unnecessarily offensive and unpleasant way, but there is a point there. Simoncelli has been beatified after his death, and claims made about him that are simply unjustified. Before he was killed, there was a group which championed Simoncelli's cause, and saw him as a bright young star adding some spice to what has become a rather dull series. There were those who thought he had it in him to win races, and there were a few that thought he might be a world champion.

Since his death, he has been turned into the savior of MotoGP lost to untimely tragedy. Now, everyone is suddenly convinced that Simoncelli was a shoe-in for world champ at some point, and his ascent to alien level was only a matter of time.

I remember the last time this happened. I was moving house, when a woman and her partner of the time were killed in a car accident in a Paris underpass. The world went insane for a year.

The same thing is happening now with Marco Simoncelli. There is now a collective hysteria surrounding Simoncelli, in which it has become impossible to have a calm, rational debate about him. Now that he has been dead for a year, I expect that hysteria to subside, just as it did for Diana.

I realize this is probably not a popular opinion. But frankly, the hype and hysteria is starting to overwhelm my gag reflex, and I need to spew a little bile. Feel free to ban me, badmouth me, call me all sorts of names, boycott my site. Hopefully, though, we can all calm down a little.

Reminds me of a section of this song: "The Beatles, just a band".

It doesn't seem unusual to grieve openly on only the first anniversary of what was a shocking and very tragic death.

Sic was what he was. Good, bad, and everything in between. It doesn't lessen the pain of his loss for some of us. I was a very open supporter when he was among us, though I never proclaimed him to be any kind of savior. Just an impossibly enthusiastic and and very talented racer who did leave a very large void in his wake, like him or don't.

Slinging mud at his memory is in very bad taste on the anniversary of his death. If debating his legacy is so very important and necessary, save it for a different day.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #5092
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
It doesn't seem unusual to grieve openly on only the first anniversary of what was a shocking and very tragic death.
The only part of that I take issue with is that Simoncelli's death was shocking. This is motorcycle racing. A year earlier, Shoya Tomizawa had been killed, and a week before Tomizawa, Peter Lenz had lost his life. Motorcycle racing is dangerous. People die. Every death is a tragedy, but it should not be a shock.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #5093
stk0308
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
A lynch mob.

Now, Honeybunz stated an opinion in a rather unnecessarily offensive and unpleasant way, but there is a point there. Simoncelli has been beatified after his death, and claims made about him that are simply unjustified. Before he was killed, there was a group which championed Simoncelli's cause, and saw him as a bright young star adding some spice to what has become a rather dull series. There were those who thought he had it in him to win races, and there were a few that thought he might be a world champion.

Since his death, he has been turned into the savior of MotoGP lost to untimely tragedy. Now, everyone is suddenly convinced that Simoncelli was a shoe-in for world champ at some point, and his ascent to alien level was only a matter of time.

I remember the last time this happened. I was moving house, when a woman and her partner of the time were killed in a car accident in a Paris underpass. The world went insane for a year.

The same thing is happening now with Marco Simoncelli. There is now a collective hysteria surrounding Simoncelli, in which it has become impossible to have a calm, rational debate about him. Now that he has been dead for a year, I expect that hysteria to subside, just as it did for Diana.

I realize this is probably not a popular opinion. But frankly, the hype and hysteria is starting to overwhelm my gag reflex, and I need to spew a little bile. Feel free to ban me, badmouth me, call me all sorts of names, boycott my site. Hopefully, though, we can all calm down a little.

Reminds me of a section of this song: "The Beatles, just a band".

I was trying to figure out a way to agree with Honeybunz on principle without agreeing with his particular word choice. I watched much the same hysteria to deify Kato back in 2003. And like you have become somewhat tired of it this time around. They seem to be wringing a great deal of mileage, and money, out of his death over the last year.
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity
stk0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #5094
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
The only part of that I take issue with is that Simoncelli's death was shocking. This is motorcycle racing. A year earlier, Shoya Tomizawa had been killed, and a week before Tomizawa, Peter Lenz had lost his life. Motorcycle racing is dangerous. People die. Every death is a tragedy, but it should not be a shock.
I think you may be lacking a bit in the empathy dept. That is OK, but that would be your flaw not ours.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #5095
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
I think you may be lacking a bit in the empathy dept. That is OK, but that would be your flaw not ours.
I can agree that I lack empathy. However, I think it is very important to remember that this is a dangerous sport. Every crash has most of the press room on edge, at what might happen. Hayden at Aragon, Hayden clearly unconscious at Indianapolis, those were bad, bad scenes. But we know the price that riders may end up paying for our entertainment.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 PM   #5096
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
I can agree that I lack empathy. However, I think it is very important to remember that this is a dangerous sport. Every crash has most of the press room on edge, at what might happen. Hayden at Aragon, Hayden clearly unconscious at Indianapolis, those were bad, bad scenes. But we know the price that riders may end up paying for our entertainment.
Of course, but that doesn't stop (some of) us from being saddened and even shocked when these tragedies occur. The brilliant thing about sport, especially dangerous ones like moto racing, is that it is very real and our heroes take very real risks with very real consequences when things go badly. It is not fictitious TV drama.

Shit, people mourned for Valentino Rossi's broken leg like he had been killed. It is very human to do so.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:09 PM   #5097
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Shit, people mourned for Valentino Rossi's broken leg like he had been killed. It is very human to do so.
A very good point.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:10 PM   #5098
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
A very good point.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #5099
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
Quote:
I agree that it sadly is a part of the sport, and riders as well as viewers know the dangers.
Nevertheless I can say that I, personally, was shocked a year ago.

Apart from this I want to say that HoneyBunz received a temp ban because of an unrelated issue, people don't get banned for bad taste here, or we'd run out of KLR riders within days.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #5100
Kropotkin
Big Girl's Blouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post
Apart from this I want to say that HoneyBunz received a temp ban because of an unrelated issue, people don't get banned for bad taste here, or we'd run out of KLR riders within days.