Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #5266
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post
Love Dean or hate him, this is a great story...

The Fate of a Roman Emperor
Good read. I hope he does another long podcast. That will get me through the holidays.
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #5267
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,989
Speaking of Soup

I was catching up on some old Soupcasts, and I was directed to this video:

Marc Márquez Motegi Onboard 2012 - Lap 1 by Alfonso_SomozaMrquez

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #5268
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,091
You'll see it again Sunday
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2012/s...o2+fp2+marquez
Old 11-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #5269
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post

Whoa.

Does Marquez even bother going out for Qualifying? Might as well save the engine, no?

Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #5270
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Whoa.

Does Marquez even bother going out for Qualifying? Might as well save the engine, no?
No engine worries, so yeah he does and he worries about race setup. Might actually be an advantage if they have the tire issues they think they may.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #5271
dontlr
Mysterious Chatter

Oddometer: 2,693
Quote:
Whoa.

Setup time so he can fly through the pack, now it's even easier for him to just work on race setup to spank them all from the back row..
dontlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #5272
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,904
For having spec engines MM bikes sure seems alot faster than everyone elses bike. You can see that the back markers dont have his corner speed but once he gets towards the front it looks like he has more motor... hmm
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #5273
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigincali View Post
For having spec engines MM bikes sure seems alot faster than everyone elses bike. You can see that the back markers dont have his corner speed but once he gets towards the front it looks like he has more motor... hmm
That's been covered by the twittersphere. Jorge martinez says it is because he carries 5-10 kph speed over everyone else in the corners, so his exit speed is up and makes it easier to carry the speed down he straights. This is from someone whose team is a rival to him.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #5274
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBeBe View Post
That's been covered by the twittersphere. Jorge martinez says it is because he carries 5-10 kph speed over everyone else in the corners, so his exit speed is up and makes it easier to carry the speed down he straights. This is from someone whose team is a rival to him.

Let me understand the physics of this: Assuming that all the riders have the same maximum lean angle, is this just a matter of Marquez shifting his center of gravity further into the inside of every turn, thus permitting him to travel faster in the same turning radius?

I know there have been comments that MM is wearing ELBOW pucks (and using them!). You think that's what's going on?

Old 11-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #5275
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,190
Quote:
Let me understand the physics of this: Assuming that all the riders have the same maximum lean angle, is this just a matter of Marquez shifting his center of gravity further into the inside of every turn, thus permitting him to travel faster in the same turning radius?

I know there have been comments that MM is wearing ELBOW pucks (and using them!). You think that's what's going on?
The guy has been beat straight up on more than one occasion this year. It's not like he's head and shoulders faster than everyone. He's had more near crashes than any of the top moto2 guys this year. His attitude and willingness to take risks are why has some of the great races he has and why he gets the attention he does. IMO

I am in a tiny minority but I don't think he is going to be the second coming in motogp that everyone thinks. He also seems like a jerk so maybe my view is skewed because of that.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #5276
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Quote:

Brakes earlier and carries the speed through the corner. He is rarely a late braker, but brakes before the corner to carry the speed through it. You can see it in a few corners.
Plus he is lighter than most so he can carry a bit more corner speed since there is less side pressure on the tires.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #5277
DougZ73
Fading off.........

Oddometer: 6,818
My opinion of Marquez is not that he is faster than everyone, but IMO, what he wisely does, is save more of his tires at the beginning of the race, so he has more tire towards the end of the race, when most others' have gone well off.
DougZ73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #5278
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,188
Quote:

If you can get your elbow down at Indy, you are special.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #5279
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,352
MM's Suter is actually not as good as the Kalexes he's beating. Dunno where that talk about bike advantage comes from, but it's incorrect. Where are other Suter riders this year? Pol Espargaro has ridden very well, and deserves credit for that, but even he probably would not see, which way Marquez went, if they rode the same bike.

There's no doubt Marquez has to quit the nasty habit of pushing others off the track. But he's still very young, he will learn.
Pecha72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #5280
auguzt
4ever n00b

Oddometer: 361
Again on Suzuki

Italian commentators are talking about the new rules in MotoGP and WSBK during qualifying in Valencia. They take Suzuki MotoGp effort for 2014 as a done deal, regardless of the Dorna restriction about a minimum of seasons to be raced.