Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #841
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I agree with the Moto2 assessment as being among the most exciting racing the past couple years (right up there with AMA racing). I have a tough time with following 125's simply because it's usually after the other races and seems slow; but I cherry pick & tune in for the "good parts" based upon online comments. I guess the other aspect is that those kids will migrate to Moto2 for (usually) at least a year where their up and comingness can be better assessed.
the 125s are on first in the rest of the world
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #842
bimmerx2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Quite a few feel as Michelangelo feels.

There have been many comments about not knowing the riders names, etc.

Too bad for them. Moto 2 is the best class in racing. And to not follow 125 GP or Moto 3 is to miss all the best up coming talent.
Moto2 was awsome racing. Just because MotoGP is the "Premier" class doesn't mean that the racing is actually the most entertaining. As for not knowing the riders names - well that's up to the fans to stay on top of who the players are in the series they watch.

I will say though that last year the Supersport races in the AMA were an absolute blast to watch. Those guys pretty much just decided that it was balls to the wall from the start to the finish - the definition of "Win it or bin it".
'08 Honda CBR 1000RR (get outta da way!)
'05 Honda CBR 600RR (trackday toy)
bimmerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 AM   #843
Conedodger
Wanna Ride

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic View Post
Anyone who hasn't seen the likes of Marquez, Iannone, Redding, Corsi, De Angelis etc banging fairings is missing out. It's way more entertaining than watching Stoner disappearing off over the horizon on his own again.
I agree 1000%

MotoGP was boring last year with the limited field and further limited factory bikes that could win.
Conedodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #844
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I agree 1000%

MotoGP was boring last year with the limited field and further limited factory bikes that could win.
Hmm good point, do a few new CRT teams make up for Suzuki and Kawasaki withdrawing over the last few years (albeit they were unlikely to win)? I don't think so.
It's difficult to see what the answer to that problem is though as long as there is an ongoing global recession. The grid in Moto 2 and 125s has been pretty healthy (reflecting the relative cheapness of running a team in those classes). Maybe leveling the playing field in Moto GP would be the way to go? Outlaw traction control and limit the engine management technology? It'd probably add to the spectacle, (for me the most enjoyable seasons since Moto GP was introduced were the first few when the bikes were more lairy and sideways).
Jurassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #845
Motorcyclist
Drag a Bag!

Oddometer: 3,344
Quote:
....................Maybe leveling the playing field in Moto GP would be the way to go? Outlaw traction control and limit the engine management technology? It'd probably add to the spectacle, (for me the most enjoyable seasons since Moto GP was introduced were the first few when the bikes were more lairy and sideways).
I think Kroptkin has speculated that is where the series is headed. Step one is to remove the iron fisted grip of the factories on making policy, then transform the series from something that is less outright technology dependent, and more competition friendly.

Time will tell if it is successful, but I agree that it should be more focused on rider-team interface, and less on technology aides.
Motorcyclist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 AM   #846
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
MotoGP was boring last year ...
Totally disagree. And it does not need to be one way or the other, IMHO.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #847
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,485
de Puniet puts CRT on MotoGP pace at Jerez

.03 back of Barbera on the GP 12 satellite spec Ducati.

Editorial Disclamer: Jerez is a fairly tight, technical track -- just the sort of place that CEII said that a CRT bike might be competitive.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:34 PM   #848
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,044
So, Laguna and Indy might have some CRT implications?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yooperbikemike View Post

Editorial Disclamer: Jerez is a fairly tight, technical track -- just the sort of place that CEII said that a CRT bike might be competitive.
Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #849
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Very interesting. RDP has proved in the past he's well capable of a little giant killing. Barbera's going to be worth watching as well if the GP12 is anything like competetive, I really rate him as a rider.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #850
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Barbera's going to be worth watching as well if the GP12 is anything like competetive, I really rate him as a rider.
Remember that the Satellite spec Duc is the Valencia test factory bike, not the Rossi/Hayden mystery machine.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #851
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Remember that the Satellite spec Duc is the Valencia test factory bike, not the Rossi/Hayden mystery machine.
Based on what he was able to do on the Suzuki I reckon Barbera will be worth keeping an eye though. He managed to pedal that RGV hard enough to do quite well in the dry not just in wet races (as was the case with some of his predecessors). I don't suppose he'll be winning anything but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top six a few times. I might be wrong though, it has happened before.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #852
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Quote:
Based on what he was able to do on the Suzuki I reckon Barbera will be worth keeping an eye though. He managed to pedal that RGV hard enough to do quite well in the dry not just in wet races (as was the case with some of his predecessors). I don't suppose he'll be winning anything but I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the top six a few times. I might be wrong though, it has happened before.
You're thinking about Bautista, not Barbera.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #853
Jurassic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You're thinking about Bautista, not Barbera.
See I told you I could be wrong.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #854
spezjag OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,083
Quote:
Remember that the Satellite spec Duc is the Valencia test factory bike, not the mystery machine.

Ruh-roh!

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #855
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 880
Is there any evidence that Bautista is better than Barbera in skill? I'm interested to see how well Barbera does this year without that awful abomination he was on last year.

Edit: after looking up stats on wikipedia, looks like they're pretty close, though Bautista has a championship.

Double Edit: Oh how I lament the loss of the GSV, that was the best looking bike on the grid.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote