ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
Asatrur OP
Newbie KLR adv rider
 
Asatrur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 1,219
COBDR versus COGDR

It is Sunday, Sunday and the decision of the century is on deck. Ok, not really, but I had to try.

There is a small and select few of us trying to decide for a week long adventure, whether the COBDR or the Great Divide Route should be our route. I am currently reading the COBDR and GDR threads here on Adv, but I wanted to see if any RM inmates had first hand knowledge and direction, time of year, camping, etc. We are intermediate riders who have done different rides like the Dino run, Brecktrek, etc.
Thanks,
Asa
__________________
00 KLR650
04 Connie - Sold, but looking again!
I wonder what is over that dirt thingamagig?
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I

Asatrur screwed with this post 03-18-2015 at 07:13 PM
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
eddyturn
Wannabe
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Hesperus, CO
Oddometer: 2,041
The BDR certainly is more exciting than the CDR. It's tougher too but nothing someone with your skills would not be able to do. Not sure which part of the CDR you would do with your week - maybe down to Antonito and head north from there till your time is up and head for home.
__________________
All things being equal... fat people use more soap
eddyturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
Asatrur OP
Newbie KLR adv rider
 
Asatrur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 1,219
We want to do the whole COBDR route, so from the NM to Wy borders and then back to the Front range
__________________
00 KLR650
04 Connie - Sold, but looking again!
I wonder what is over that dirt thingamagig?
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:12 PM   #4
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter
 
BigDogAdventures's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Mt. Vernon, Illinois
Oddometer: 5,013
With just a week to ride----I think you better forget the CDR.

It's about 2,700 miles----and that doesn't count riding to the start--and riding home from the finish.
I've ridden both---some of the COBDR coincides with the CDR.

BigDog
__________________
2008 Yamaha WR250R---by far my main bike.
2006 KTM 450EXC
2014 KTM690 Enduro--we'll see how good it is after 70,000 miles.
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
I'm good--but I ain't no Dingweeds
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Asatrur OP
Newbie KLR adv rider
 
Asatrur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures View Post
With just a week to ride----I think you better forget the CDR.

It's about 2,700 miles----and that doesn't count riding to the start--and riding home from the finish.
I've ridden both---some of the COBDR coincides with the CDR.

BigDog
Damn, I updated the title to reflect, I mean COBDR or COGDR, not the whole route
__________________
00 KLR650
04 Connie - Sold, but looking again!
I wonder what is over that dirt thingamagig?
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:22 PM   #6
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: denver
Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
Damn, I updated the title to reflect, I mean COBDR or COGDR, not the whole route
Hi

I belive your acronym is incorrect.

I belive it is called the CDR Continental Divide Ride...........not the GDR Grand Divide Ride ?

Ride on

Scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
Asatrur OP
Newbie KLR adv rider
 
Asatrur's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Longmont, CO
Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrederscott View Post
Hi

I belive your acronym is incorrect.

I belive it is called the CDR Continental Divide Ride...........not the GDR Grand Divide Ride ?

Ride on

Scott
The hiking trail is Continental divide, this is the Great divide ride/route/race, not grand.
__________________
00 KLR650
04 Connie - Sold, but looking again!
I wonder what is over that dirt thingamagig?
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...Op8LhphYfeBJ9I
Asatrur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:39 PM   #8
shrederscott
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: denver
Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asatrur View Post
The hiking trail is Continental divide, this is the Great divide ride/route/race, not grand.
Ahhhh ...,,and there in lies the confusion .

You are correct there is a hiking, biking, and motorcycles trail across colorado called the Continntal Divide Trail or CDT ...not all segments are open to all user groups.

There is also the 2,700 mile long Continental Divide Route or CDR .... this is a motorcycle and bike route, that passes through Colorado, although there are segments were bikes and motorcyle are different.

I think the colorado portion of this route is what you are calling the Great Divide ride or GDR.

Then again, I could be completely in error, been know to happen.

But the name of the route is not that important, what is important is the adventure the route gives.


Have a great adventures what ever route you take.

Ride on

scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:32 AM   #9
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 16,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrederscott View Post
Ahhhh ...,,and there in lies the confusion .

You are correct there is a hiking, biking, and motorcycles trail across colorado called the Continntal Divide Trail or CDT ...not all segments are open to all user groups.

There is also the 2,700 mile long Continental Divide Route or CDR .... this is a motorcycle and bike route, that passes through Colorado, although there are segments were bikes and motorcyle are different.

I think the colorado portion of this route is what you are calling the Great Divide ride or GDR.
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:01 PM   #10
norton(kel)
vintage
 
norton(kel)'s Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Berthoud, Co.
Oddometer: 1,180
You've got a week! Do em both whats the problem
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015