ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2015, 08:46 AM   #1
adventure girl OP
Donde esta la playa?!?

Oddometer: 1,409
Not my bike to Baja

Has anyone had experience bringing a bike into Baja (or back) that wasn't theirs? I seem to recall the border kids wanting to see our registration once when the bikes were in a trailer. I also understand a lot of race-only bikes are not even registered since they have no plates? If I'm transporting a bike in my truck for a friend that is not with me, will this be a problem? And I do plan on crossing in Tijuana, as I am headed to Muleje the shortest route possible. I can cross a little ways to the east, but it will add time to my trip.
'04 KTM 525
adventure girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:00 AM   #2
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure girl View Post
Has anyone had experience bringing a bike into Baja (or back) that wasn't theirs? I seem to recall the border kids wanting to see our registration once when the bikes were in a trailer. I also understand a lot of race-only bikes are not even registered since they have no plates? If I'm transporting a bike in my truck for a friend that is not with me, will this be a problem? And I do plan on crossing in Tijuana, as I am headed to Muleje the shortest route possible. I can cross a little ways to the east, but it will add time to my trip.
We didn't have a problem last year. Bring passport and proof of ownership. Good details at Baja bound. Chilly recommended insurance for your tow vehicle, but not to bother with the bikes. However, the majority of our riding was off road with very little highway and trips into town only for gas, food, and lodging.

The crossing at Tecate is much lower key than Tijuana. We'll be crossing there again this spring.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
Motorberus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Since you are not the owner of the bike you may have problems. They may just wave you through without checking anything, or you could get the red light and they might check everything. Your friend who owns the bike will not be with you at the border crossing? If the bike is titled then the person whose name is on the title is legally the only one allowed to bring it across. If it is not titled then a CO OHV sticker/paperwork will work. The OHV paperwork will have the bike's vin and the owners name on it which is what they are looking to match to a passport of someone in your party. You could always put an OHV sticker on it that is in your name, just make sure you bring the OHV paperwork with you. Good luck.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -Hunter S. Thompson
Motorberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventure girl View Post
I done this a few times, several of my race bikes belonged to the dealership or really the bank since they were on the floorplan, and as such had no documentation. The majority of the time some sort of registration is asked for (this seems to be less inforce during the 100/500). I have never been asked for personal ID so if you have registration for a bike that is not in your name I think you will be OK crossing into Mexico. When you get to Sur it will be a little different as all the vehicles will have to be permited in Mexico in order to cross into Sur. I think you can request the permit in advance and have it mailed to you, if you have time for that. This has to be done by the owner of the vehicle.

I would absolutely insure the bikes while down there, it's cheap and its the law. I was hit head-on by a truck that crossed into my lane in San Vincente while prerunning a few years back, trashed a brand new KTM 450 and for a while it looked like I was going to be held responsible for fixing the Nissan that hit me. Very Scary situation and I was not insured.
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,226
Becky,Tecate is the way to go.As far as paper work for bikes/cars,we have never been asked for anything.I've brought bikes,trailers,trucks and dogs.No questions asked.The mainland is a different story.Travel safe.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 741
100% get the insurance. You do not want to have something happen and not have it. You want to make everything as smooth as possible as the Federales can make up their own rules. I would have a bill of sale at the least for the trailer (if no registration) and bikes. I have friends who have been stopped and they got major hastle for not having any documentation for their bikes. Avoid hastle and bring anything you can.
wakewop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #7
adventure girl OP
Donde esta la playa?!?

Thanks guys! Yes the problem is that the owner of the bike wouldn't be with me. I'm looking into crossing at Tecate, as well as some of the other suggestions. And I always get insurnace
'04 KTM 525
Old 01-22-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
OrangeDreamCycler
Elderly Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I traveled into Baja for 10 daze over Christmas/New Year. Dropped in
at San Diego/Tj with little more than a glance from the officials. At all of the check points I was only asked where I was going. Did not receive any strife till Mexacali, upon re-entry, I was asked lots of ?'s they wanted all of my paperwork registration insurance, passport. I am surprised they did not ask for a blood sample. Then I got the obligatory SEARCH, which I apparently passed, cause they let me through to the land of the fee and the home of the crave.
Got to love America. Winter Sucks and YMMV. Have fun and take lots of h2o. ODC
OrangeDreamCycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #9
Osprey!
a.k.a. Opie

Oddometer: 4,011
Since we're talking about Baja and I've always wanted to go....

Do you guys trailer to a certain point in CA, park, and then start riding?
Old 01-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #10
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 9,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post

April will be my second ride with Chilly. These are dirt bike dual sport rides with hotels every night. For this type of ride, we trailer over the border to unload. Chilly has secure locations where the vehicles can be left.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
OrangeDreamCycler
Elderly Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Osman

Depends- on how warm your gear will keep you and how willing you are to suffer. I trailered to Sun City and then buzzed over to Sandy Eggo and dropped in @ TJ down the Mexican 1 and then back up the Mexican 5. I was very happy I trailered. Flagstaff was -2f and snowing like a sunny beach with 17 inches on the ground on return trip. It was a blast. ODC.
OrangeDreamCycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by cross-country View Post
I done this a few times, several of my race bikes belonged to the dealership or really the bank since they were on the floorplan, and as such had no documentation. The majority of the time some sort of registration is asked for (this seems to be less inforce during the 100/500). I have never been asked for personal ID so if you have registration for a bike that is not in your name I think you will be OK crossing into Mexico. When you get to Sur it will be a little different as all the vehicles will have to be permited in Mexico in order to cross into Sur. I think you can request the permit in advance and have it mailed to you, if you have time for that. This has to be done by the owner of the vehicle.

I would absolutely insure the bikes while down there, it's cheap and its the law. I was hit head-on by a truck that crossed into my lane in San Vincente while prerunning a few years back, trashed a brand new KTM 450 and for a while it looked like I was going to be held responsible for fixing the Nissan that hit me. Very Scary situation and I was not insured.
Ahhh, San Vincente! We have the fondest memories of our time there, eh amigo?

Becky- avoid the left coast of northern Baja, if you can. Sounds like you will if you're bee-lining for Mulege. Most of all- have fun! Sounds like you're doing well. Did I hear you're back in the hood these days?
unaweep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #13
B1KSOLO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
I crossed into Mexicali at the east border crossing this last Nov.and got the red light and had a pullover. The Border gal came and checked my car and my bike. I did not have registration for the bike
She held me there for 45 minutes and it was sketchy to see if she was gonna let me into the country with the bike or not.
She finally did but it was a pain in the ass
If you have the registration you won't have a problem, if you don't have the registration you might have a problem at this Border crossing.
I've had no problems crossing the border into Baja from Tijuana with the bike on the back and very little problems at the Tecata crossing but the Mexicali always seems to be a little bit of a pain in the ass.
Be prepare better safe then sorry.
Dave
Old 01-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #14
adventure girl OP
Donde esta la playa?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unaweep View Post
Ahhh, San Vincente! We have the fondest memories of our time there, eh amigo?

Becky- avoid the left coast of northern Baja, if you can. Sounds like you will if you're bee-lining for Mulege. Most of all- have fun! Sounds like you're doing well. Did I hear you're back in the hood these days?

HII Jim!
Yep I'm back in the big city. We'll have to grab a beer one of these days :-)
I've crossed at Mexicali, Tijuana and tecate in the past. I really hate driving in Tijuana, so I'm looking at tecate, then rt. 2 to the coast. Yes I'm bee-lining it to Mulejé, and Mexicali is out of the way. I'll have my own bike In the back of my pickup, and maybe a second one for a friend. That's the bike that's not mine. Sounds like I could just say it's a race bike and therefore not registered

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'04 KTM 525
Old 01-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #15
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey! View Post

We've made arrangements to leave our haul rigs at a motel's parking lot in Mexicali - all was good when we got back after a week.

We've also left our haul rigs at a friends in the Ramona hills the year he was able to join us.

as to the remark about Federales 'making their own rules'... I've found them to be pretty professional and friendly, it's the local enforcement more likely to make your life interesting.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote