ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Grand Junction Colorado question

My son and I are looking for a decent motel in Grand Junction. One of the requirements will be that I can leave my pickup parked there for a week. We will spend 2 nights there, our first night when we arrive and the last night of our stay before heading back to western Wisconsin. We will be riding to Moab through Utah and to the north rim of the grand canyon then back to Grand Junction.

A mom & pop type is preferred. Any suggestions?
ktmklx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 485
Don't know about Grand Junction, but we stay at the Balanced Rock in Fruita a lot. Very, very nice couple that runs it. Good people, good motel, good rates. I bet they'd let you park. Give them a call.
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
jna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmklx View Post
My son and I are looking for a decent motel in Grand Junction. One of the requirements will be that I can leave my pickup parked there for a week. We will spend 2 nights there, our first night when we arrive and the last night of our stay before heading back to western Wisconsin. We will be riding to Moab through Utah and to the north rim of the grand canyon then back to Grand Junction.

A mom & pop type is preferred. Any suggestions?

+1 on the Balance Rock in Fruita. You can park at my place if you need to I live less than a mile from the Balanced Rock Motel.
jna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #4
rtadlock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by jna View Post
+1 on the Balance Rock in Fruita. You can park at my place if you need to I live less than a mile from the Balanced Rock Motel.
Another vote for Balanced Rock. I stay there all the time for moto riding and mountain biking. Clean, reasonable price, and has a bike wash.
rtadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:48 PM   #5
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for the feedback on the Balanced Rock, must be a good place all rooms are already booked. I am booking this a little late.

Booked rooms at one one of the chains by the airport, they said we can park the truck there so we will give it a try.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jna View Post
Thanks for the offer, looks like we will be staying down by the airport and parking the truck there.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:57 PM   #7
jna
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Thanks for the offer, looks like we will be staying down by the airport and parking the truck there.

Ok I work at the airport let me know if you need anything or any route info. We took a 1200 mi Utah loop in October that included some of northern Arizona we had a couple of construction reroutes that I was not expecting and may still be under repair. Reroutes out here are often measured in hours.
jna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #8
jnclem
True Airhead

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback on the Balanced Rock, must be a good place all rooms are already booked. I am booking this a little late.

Booked rooms at one one of the chains by the airport, they said we can park the truck there so we will give it a try.
We just tried to book a room for this Thursday and Friday and they were full. I'm not sure what's going on down there right now, no mountain bike events that I can see. Glad you found a place.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:30 AM   #9
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnclem View Post
We just tried to book a room for this Thursday and Friday and they were full. I'm not sure what's going on down there right now, no mountain bike events that I can see. Glad you found a place.
The Balanced Rock is also my go to in Fruita and it's always packed no matter the time of year I'm there. I've seen the full range of people spending the night not just the MTB crowd, that and the big ass sign on the highway. Great hotel & town all the way around.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:45 PM   #10
jnclem
True Airhead

As it ended up, my wife and I enjoyed the last two nights at Balanced Rock. Rode a bunch of canyons out NW of town today before it started raining hard. We were way out there on hard packed clay roads, watching the storms drift off the Uncompagrahe toward us. So many routes, we just kept taking turns that headed basically the right direction. Got back to Tarmac before the rains came and turned the place to gumbo. Good day.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #11
ktmklx OP
Studly Adventurer

We were on our way to Baxter Pass a few years ago when the rains hit, I know exactly what you mean by gumbo.