ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #736
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsnitc View Post
Is this happening this week? Imma try and make it out..
Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
It's on for tonite, I'll get there around 6-----(PM sent with more info)

you should ride that new DRZ so we can check it out!

Old 04-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #737
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
Old 04-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #738
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo

Okay
AteamNM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #739
Wookee
Y! bike is all tall

Oddometer: 90
It was good meeting you guys last time, but unfortunately I have prior plans. Next week?
Wookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #740
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,269
I'm glad to hear that DRZs are giving the KLRs some competition for best bike to go out and drink beer on. I am so over all the GSs that had been pulling that duty.

Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #741
burque magoo
master of disaster....

Oddometer: 4,836
burque brews update......several of the regular gang were there, catching up on trials & dual sport storytelling, we had our legal representative show for the latter portion of the meeting, and I'm happy to report that no DRZs were harmed in the production of this brew meeting.....

burque magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #742
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
Just got home...became a late night dual sport bullshit session with mdsnitc!

Good times with everyone as always!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #743
selaznog OP
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,525
Pissed

Watch out boys and girls. I turned right from the parking lot, and immediately saw an APD squad car. He continued east to the end of the street, and I saw him pull a U from FAR away in my rear view mirror. I turned on Pan American, waited a light at Comanche, and was about to turn onto the freeway headed north when he pulls me over. He said, lying SOB that he was, that I failed to signal when turning right from Aztec on to Pan American. More than a half mile away. Right. The reality is, he was fishing for a DUI bust coming out of IV. He was a TOTAL DICK from the second he approached until the end of the encounter. He asked if I'd had "anything" to drink and I replied honestly. Immediately it was get out of the car, keep your head still and follow the pen. Do I have any conditions that will prevent me from performing the tests? Then he says I "made a face" at him, whatever the F that that means. Of course, when he said that, it did prompt a WTF?? are you talking about look from me. I've never been good taking shit from self-important government pricks. I'm not proud of it, but I've been known to take a lower road when invited by a guy like this. And I was POSITIVE that I was not impaired. (I was a participant in a test at the State Laboratory Division, so I know the difference between .02, .05, .07, and more importantly, the amount of alcohol it takes to get me there, which I had not consumed). I also know the legal implications of every step of this encounter, having prosecuted a bunch of DUIs in my younger days.

Still, when it's you under the microscope, it is near impossible not to be at least a little nervous. Also, one of the things they look for is for you to deviate from their instructions, which require you to keep multiple things in mind and control of your body at the same time. You can be perfectly sober, but still fail parts of the test because you don't understand what they want you to do. So every time he tells me to do something, I ask him to repeat the instructions. And every time he raises his voice and angrily asks "what don't you understand?" To which I reply, I just want to make sure I understand. To which he barks, if I don't want to take the test he can just take me to jail, and then sternly asks if am I going to take the test. Of course, I say, will you please repeat the instructions so that I make sure what they are? He does, in a pissy kind of way. Ok, I say, you want me to xyz, with my hands here, looking there, and counting out loud...is that what you want me to do? We go through the standard field sobriety tests one at a time. He continued to try and intimidate me, and I continued to make him do his job. I aced all the tests, and he finally barked at me to return to my car.

The idea that this guy pulled me over because of turn signal violation is not only untrue (I knew he was behind me and was careful to do everything right), but the idea itself is preposterous in a city where people seem allergic to turn signals. The truth is this guy was fishing at the IV. It was the first time in my life I'd been pulled over and truly and honestly believed I had not committed any infraction whatsoever, not even a mile over the speed limit. So he cites me for a turn signal violation at desolate intersection where there is no choice but to turn right, a half mile from where it allegedly happened, when he supposedly saw it from almost a half mile away. Yeah right.

Obviously, no one should drive when impaired, and I didn't. But I'm not at all surprised this happened from the department that does so many despicable things and paid tens of millions of dollars last year in settlements and judgments for its abuses.

Ugh.
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #744
Ditch
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Bummer Steve, I couldn't pass any test sober so I rarely drink anything and drive and then my limit is two beers. I've seen plenty of LEOs not using turnsignals so that is just something to justify his time. Not to bang on LEOs, but it is pretty scummy to lurk around an establishment when there are tons of people out just asking to get nailed who should be off the street.
Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:38 AM   #745
CaptRick
On dry land 4 now.....

Oddometer: 4,361
Might as well fight the turn signal that way you might get to meet up again in court.....
I know a dam good attorney

Growing older every day but never growing up.
CaptRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #746
DirtDad
Green Chile Guru

Oddometer: 1,535
Hmmm, not good to pull someone over without Probable Cause. Glad you
made him work!

The one deal is the eye nystagmis (probably did not spell that right) test.
It does not hold up in court, but it is a sure sign of determining the level
of intoxication.

Yea, should all be careful, not worth a DUI.
DirtDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 AM   #747
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,269
Wow Steve!

And they wonder why people have no respect for them? Going up last night, we followed several drivers weaving all over the place who were either drunk or texting. God forbid they pull someone over who is actually having trouble keeping it in the lane.

In a related story, I got a full blown ticket for not using my turn signal from an Isleta wannabe Dick Tracy about a month ago. I notice a cop car coming up fast behind me so I pull over a lane to get out of her way and she pulls me over for not signaling my lane change. I fought it in court and it was dismissed but what an irritating deal.
People say to not bag on cops because "they are there when you need them". Bullshit, try that one out.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #748
mdsnitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Yea, bike stayed home last night. I'd much rather drink than worry about getting home alive. Had a great time, was pretty sure they were gonna lock us in. Sorry to hear about the APD experience. Seems to me I've heard other stories of them trolling that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMTrailboss View Post
Just got home...became a late night dual sport bullshit session with mdsnitc!

Good times with everyone as always!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #749
selaznog OP
Avoiding pavement

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDad View Post
Hmmm, not good to pull someone over without Probable Cause. Glad you
made him work!

The one deal is the eye nystagmis (probably did not spell that right) test.
It does not hold up in court, but it is a sure sign of determining the level
of intoxication.

Yea, should all be careful, not worth a DUI.
Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test (HGN). A good tool, and yes, inadmissible. I knows ma shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditch View Post
Bummer Steve, I couldn't pass any test sober so I rarely drink anything and drive and then my limit is two beers. I've seen plenty of LEOs not using turnsignals so that is just something to justify his time. Not to bang on LEOs, but it is pretty scummy to lurk around an establishment when there are tons of people out just asking to get nailed who should be off the street.
I was within your limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRick View Post
Might as well fight the turn signal that way you might get to meet up again in court.....
I know a dam good attorney
I know that attorney, too. He's going to take the case pro bono!
selaznog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #750
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder

Oddometer: 5,896
I'm curious, Steve; what time did this happen?

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote