Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 08:05 PM   #256
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Looks like a great ride! Out of curiosity, how much of the route would be doable in a Jeep? I've been wanting to take my daughters exploring in the Ozarks and this looks like a good trail to follow! I've already downloaded the GPX file to look at...
Look at Bonanzasteve's videos. The end of video one is Pannell Rd and that uphill rocky section of video two is Warloop Rd. Those are the most technical parts of all three days. There is one other road that is labeled Whoops Rd which is Nf-1827 where a jeep might get high centered. Maybe not. It is a fire service road which has a bunch of whoops. All of these are on the Day 2 route.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #257
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Thanks Bsteve for the reply!

Anybody:

Are there "ride arounds" for the few rougher sections? If so, is the ride around on your own or does someone guide the bypass group around to rejoin the main group? (Thinking the wife could opt to ride-around and I can do the fun stuff.)

Vinduroman
Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #258
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinduroman View Post
Thanks Bsteve for the reply!

Anybody:

Are there "ride arounds" for the few rougher sections? If so, is the ride around on your own or does someone guide the bypass group around to rejoin the main group? (Thinking the wife could opt to ride-around and I can do the fun stuff.)

Vinduroman
There are bypass routes for both Pannell Rd and Warloop in the AR500 routes. There isn't one for Whoops Rd tho! Let me know if you need help finding the routes.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:39 AM   #259
Bonanzasteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEARY View Post
Great video Steve! You got the best of the most fun stuff. All except Whoops Rd. I think you all did some explorin on your own and missed that one. That is closer to Long Pool. Enjoyed riding with you and Randy. Oh, and you missed getting Randy going over the log up that knarly steep uphill rocky mother. I was glad to get out of there. lol
Yeah, we missed the whole Whoops Rd. section. At some point we pulled out the forest map and used the gps to create our own route. I wish I would have followed Randy up that steep ATV trail with my camera on, that would have made for some interesting video footage!
Steve
Bonanzasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 AM   #260
arkansas adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinduroman View Post
Nice videos, Bonanzasteve!

DRZ 400, right? S or E model?

Was that a portion of Warloop Rd on video 2?

Would you say the single track and rocky stuff you video'd would be an example of about as rough as all the "rough" sections?

Hoping the wife can handle it. She would be considered a Novice. We would like to ride the AR500 next year.

Vinduroman
My wife rode the whole weekend (our group bypassed pannel and warloop rd) on her KLR 650 with 80 street 20 dirt tires. join us next year. My wife was the only female rider
arkansas adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #261
arkansas adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
She had Avon distanzia tires and 1/4 thread or less and did not go down one time. She has been riding about a year.
Somebody will lead a bypass if you want to bypass those roads. I was going to ride pannel and warloop while my wife continues around the bypass with the rest of the group but the group elected to all take the bypass.

You can see video I took with my GoPro here: http://www.youtube.com/user/stickerzR/videos

My wife is on the green bike. I got 30+ videos throughout the weekend.

I know my wife would like to see other females riders show up. They are rare in the dual sport world.
arkansas adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #262
okiegotdirt
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I only rode on Saturday. I rode with the faster group that afternoon. I didn't get to meet too many people. I was on a Honda XRL 650. I would like to find out who some of the guys were that I rode with. Who was the guy on the BMW 650 with the big white gas tank? He could really tear up a dirt road. It was a great ride. I know some more challenging dirt roads down by Poteau, Oklahoma.
okiegotdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #263
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Lane AR View Post
She had Avon distanzia tires and 1/4 thread or less and did not go down one time. She has been riding about a year.
Somebody will lead a bypass if you want to bypass those roads. I was going to ride pannel and warloop while my wife continues around the bypass with the rest of the group but the group elected to all take the bypass.

You can see video I took with my GoPro here: http://www.youtube.com/user/stickerzR/videos

My wife is on the green bike. I got 30+ videos throughout the weekend.

I know my wife would like to see other females riders show up. They are rare in the dual sport world.
Your wife is to be commended for riding the AR500 with the group. I think it is super kewl when women ride dirt bikes. It is a rarity tho in these parts. I am sorry I did not get a chance to visit with either of you although we did share a campfire for a bit. You will have to join us again and we can get aquainted.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 04-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #264
jmn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegotdirt View Post
I only rode on Saturday. I rode with the faster group that afternoon. I didn't get to meet too many people. I was on a Honda XRL 650. I would like to find out who some of the guys were that I rode with. Who was the guy on the BMW 650 with the big white gas tank? He could really tear up a dirt road. It was a great ride. I know some more challenging dirt roads down by Poteau, Oklahoma.
That would be Rick (TRAILACE) a great group leader and he's always in a hurry
jmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:05 PM   #265
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Arkridergc's report

Well here it is one week later and I still haven’t done any ride report. It’s been a hectic week and blah blah blah… you guys aren’t interested in all that. So here goes ….
I left Pottsville at 5 am to get to Eureka by 8am and found most everybody gathered already but didn’t feel pressured to hurry up in the least. I don’t know how many riders we started with but we had enough for 4 sizable groups each with a leader and a sweeper with gps. I had the tracks on my Rino530 and the routes on my nuvi500 so I agreed to ride sweep for one of the groups. It just so happened I connect with Scotty’s group 4 which meant I was the last guy in the whole procession. That meant if anybody broke down or had issues I’d better stop because there wouldn’t be anybody else coming along. It also meant I didn’t have to worry about waiting on anybody behind me at intersections.
Jim (On2wheels52) on his BMW GS1200 and I pulled the end of the train for most of the 3 days. I’ve gotta’ say that is a lot of bike to hustle around on loose gravel with full touring setup. There was another rider in our group on a 1200 Adventure but he wasn’t carrying saddlebags which has got to make it a little easier to stay ahead of the curve when things get swishy. All in all, I’d say Jim did a good job of keeping that rig upright and I have a newfound appreciation for getting those big bikes through the steep rocky switchbacks. I didn’t really have to think about anything we rode but those on bigger bikes or KLR’s with stock gears and street tires had to approach the tougher sections with a different mindset.
Looking through my pictures, I didn’t really get many that are much different from what has already been posted and when you ride sweep you usually don’t have time to take a lot of ‘em but here goes…
Scotty and Tanya's place

Group photo

Our leader

I wonder if Graham crackers are standard camp fare?

I stopped long enough to shoot this one

Kevin and his wife Amanda from Conway. Kevin shot the video of the crash. I think Amanda was ready to skin him after she found out he was ok!

Sometimes I wish I knew what was just around the bend. I loved how this house was situated but we had an intersection coming up and I didn't think I had enough time to stop and shoot more photos.

I came up on this too late to get a picture of the sleeping bike but it appears to be another case of short leg syndrome!

I can't tell if the tree is holding up the rock or the rock is holding up the tree.

This is also where we saw the "cat tree".

I wonder how often this scene repeats itself at Turner's Bend? They have to be going crazy trying to keep up with gas sales!

Which way is this circus headed now?

This fellow on the Suzi has a flat rear tire and rode all the rest of the way to Devil's Den on it with rim locks and didn't hurt the tire!

Hard to tell just by looking at it.

This poor fellow had a devil of a time keeping his luggage on!

He told me he makes guns and knives as a hobby so I suspect a cure is already in progress.

Feeding time at Natural Bridge. I commend the cashier here for being patient with us.

Jim and the big german girl!

Requisite visit to Oark

The other 1200 in our group. I was looking at all the hardware on this thing and thinking these must be the Hummers of the motorcycling world.

Do I need to explain this one?

I met this fellow earlier that morning at Natural Dam. His handle in Natural Dam Rider (I think) and he had heard of the AED500 but didn't think we'd be riding this close to him or he would've joined us. He showed up at Oark on this immaculate WeeStrom. It's a 2006 model and it looks like it just rolled off the showroom! That's Bohawk standing beside him.

Good stories and good times!

Crimson Clover

I didn't get too many pictures at either camp but I can attest to the hospitality shown us by Tanya, Kyle and Dillon who ran the sagwagon, carried firewood, picked things up at the store for us, and provided some very good eats at the end of the day and breakfast in the morning. Thanks again!

Sunday morning was a little wet and like Saturday morning a few decided to head home rather than deal with possible stormy weather in NW Arkansas. Kevin woke up to a flat tire that had to be repaired before heading back to Conway.

Even though we skipped some of the route, Sunday's route turned out to be pretty good riding.
Crossing the Big Piney (I think).

This rider got suprised by a curve and hit the ditch tweaking his ankle pretty good but he continued the whole route. That ankle was pretty swollen by the time we got back to Turpentine Creek. Hope you are feeling better. I may be confused but I believe he also broke a clutch cable about 40 miles from the end that added an even bigger challenge to the ride. We be all about Aventure 'round here!

Our last stop for fuel was at Ponca. At this point a lot of the riders headed out for home or Turpentine Creek as we had some imminent rain coming which might also be stormy. I think by this time we had 13 or 14 riders left and we decided to finish the route pretty much as we had planned it. We had about 30-40 minutes of rain but we managed to dodge the really heavy stuff. It was during this leg of the trip that my Garmin Rino530's battery died. It lasted 2 3/4 days without a charge. That's worth remembering!

We arrived back at Turpentine Creek about 3:30 pm or so and after loading our bikes, Scott and Tanya offered us a tour of the facility. These animals are the actual reason we enjoyed this adventure. Scotty and Tanya take care of these animals for life and you can imagine what it takes to feed and care for a bunch of 800 pound Lions,Tigers,Bears and other assundry species of animals 99% of which are carnivores. That means lots and lots of meat to buy, medicines to administer, staff to keep, enclosures to build and maintain. Many of these animals were born in captivity and have never lived oustside of the confines (and as far as the animal is concerned the safety) of a cage. They have never fended for themselves so they would starve or be a human menace if re-introduced to the wild. In short, through no falult of thier own, these animals are at the mercy of humans to care for them until they die and Scott and Tanya have made it thier passion to spend thier lives doing just that.

Tanya and BooBoo interacting.

Thanks again Scotty and Tanya for a great weekend. I know you guys are busy with a month's worth of extra events so good luck with them. See you at SLAP.
Gary
Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide

arkridergc screwed with this post 04-21-2012 at 11:23 PM
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:00 AM   #266
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by okiegotdirt View Post
Hello again, Pete! You rode with us (the Texas group) for awhile on Saturday, then parted ways after we stopped on the bridge over the freeway. I'm the guy on the XR650R, and we spoke about riding in OK. Enjoyed having you with us, and hope to come check out OK with you sometime.

Here's a couple vids from the ride:

Low level flying on the R
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKaBH2nOKFI

Sweet streets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMacnk3FtlY

Pannell road
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPCWtFbikqg
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #267
HappyCRNA
AllTalkNoAction

Oddometer: 1,568
Great RR and pics Arkridergc!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #268
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkridergc View Post

Down Boy!

Great ride report and photos Gary! That was worth waiting for. Pretty good summary of all of the goings on in your group. Thanks for sharing that with the rest of us. See you as SLAP!
Colorado/Moab 2012
Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #269
Vinduroman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 571
Great input and pics, all. Thanks! Wife and I are trying to figure out how to make it work for us "next year".

Fast Lane AR:

Thanks for your input, and thanks a bunch for taking the time to post your videos. It was YOUR VIDEOS of the AR 500 that made my wife want to attend. You shot some great footage of some neat single lane trails/etc. Also, when I told her that the rider on the big KLR 650 was a little woman... she was quite impressed! ("She's riding a 650??")

Yup, it was the trails you video'd and the fact that your wife was riding it ON A KLR 650 that has encouraged her to give it a try on her new CRF 230L!

Hopefully, Scotty will have an idea when/where the route be early enough so we can make plans. (We won't be camping, so we'll need to secure acceptably close lodging some way for each leg.)

Vinduroman

Vinduroman screwed with this post 04-22-2012 at 08:08 PM
Vinduroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 AM   #270
scotty69 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Great ride report Gary. TCWR is celebrating its 20th Anniversary and we are hosting so many events I have not been able to ride or finish my report. I did get some free time yesterday and desmoged my bike. That along with a Vance and Hines xcr pipe and the monster is unleashed. Now all I have to do is the carb mod and I'm ready to try it out. Maybe I can get that done this week and finish my ride report as well. If you are missing any stuff, PM me.