Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 04:15 AM   #16
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,038
As soon as I saw Freeride in the title I thought it wouid be electric powered . I thought KTM`s new ( unrealesed ) electric bike was called a freeride ???
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #17
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
As soon as I saw Freeride in the title I thought it wouid be electric powered . I thought KTM`s new ( unrealesed ) electric bike was called a freeride ???
Correct... they also used the "freeride" name on their (as yet unreleased for sale) electric model enduro/trail bike;

"What ees all 'zis f5uss
fuss about...?"
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:40 AM   #18
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,904
GasGas have the new TX Randonne out for 2012 as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z6k2...e_gdata_player

http://translate.google.com.au/trans...%26prmd%3Divns

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:03 AM   #19
woopwoop
will think for food

Oddometer: 5,247
Is this (Freeride 350) the Indian built motor that's going to power a variety of machines aimed at the Asian market?.

Anyway here's a video of it. 100 kgs sounds good. If, along with the HP sacrifice they gave up a bit of suspension travel for a lower seat I'd be prepared to daydream about one meself.

woopwoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #20
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

woopwoop: Is this (Freeride 350) the Indian built motor that's going to power a variety of machines aimed at the Asian market?.

It's a detuned version of the (last year) released SXf 350 motor...

"What ees all 'zis f5uss
fuss about...?"
Old 11-09-2011, 05:37 AM   #21
woopwoop
will think for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
woopwoop: Is this (Freeride 350) the Indian built motor that's going to power a variety of machines aimed at the Asian market?.

It's a detuned version of the (last year) released SXf 350 motor...

I remember reading a while ago where Alan Cathcart visited the factory (Mahindra, I think it was) in India and they were gearing up to produce KTMs for the local market. Seem to remember that it was a 350. Detuning (by about half in HP terms!) would produce benefits in terms of fuel economy, service intervals and longevity, major considerations in that market. This could be it, I reckon.

Edit.....not Mahindra but Bajaj....they're talking about 125, 200, and 350 Dukes for markets like India, Thailand, Malaysia and Brazil......big numbers.

It's quite possible that this is not related, but it would seem to be at least aimed at a broader market.

woopwoop screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 05:59 AM
Old 11-09-2011, 06:05 AM   #22
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer: 4,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by woopwoop View Post
I remember reading a while ago where Alan Cathcart visited the factory (Mahindra, I think it was) in India and they were gearing up to produce KTMs for the local market. Seem to remember that it was a 350. Detuning (by about half in HP terms!) would produce benefits in terms of fuel economy, service intervals and longevity, major considerations in that market. This could be it, I reckon.
I remember that article, IIRC it was a Duke 350. Could be the same engine crated up and sent to Austria. The KTM website says the Freeride E is assembled in Mattighofen (but no mention where the the 350 is assembled). As they use esentially the same frame you'd think they'd assemble them in the same place.

http://www.ktm.com/freeride/freeride...t/Product.html

MADE IN AUSTRIA

With the Freeride E, KTM is setting new standards in respect of response, traction, performance and handling of a motorcycle. From the bottom up, the Freeride E is a completely new development "made in Austria", because an electric bike is also subject to the same requirements in terms of performance, robustness and quality as all other motorcycles that leave the factory buildings in Mattighofen.

I see you remembered the article while I was typing. Damn I type slow!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:35 AM   #23
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

From KTM.com EICMA 2011 press release:

Freeride E: the evolution of revolution
KTM has taken on the challenge of developing an electrically driven offroad sports motorcycle for mass production and has become the first of the major motorcycle companies to do so. This exciting, sports-oriented, environmentally friendly bike is the culmination of three intense years of hard work and a commitment to innovation. The Freeride E embodies all the collective KTM experience garnered during years of development of conventional combustion-driven models and has resulted in a motorcycle that is not only pure KTM but also globally unique. The electric motor, developed in-house, is the throbbing heart of this dynamic machine that is not only emission free but is also almost silent. The Freeride E is proof of KTM’s drive and determination to take on a highly complex project and successfully transform it into a bike that offers intense riding pleasure in the spirit of pure offroad sports. 2012 is only the beginning of what represents a challenging, but electrifyingly exciting new segment in tune with the demands of today’s society.

Freeride 350
The sport of motorcycling is at the very apex of the KTM philosophy.
That is why for 2012 the company has also produced a second Freeride model with a conventional drive.
Building on the extremely well balanced engine characteristics of the 350 cc engine that has served
KTM’s Motocross and Enduro competition bikes so well in the past two years, the Freeride 350 is a
lightweight bike capable of translating the thrill of the classic Enduro experience into one that requires the least
amount of physical exertion. The Freeride 350 is the perfect introduction to the thrill and exhilaration of Enduro sport.
Indeed with this bike, Enduro has never been easier.

Rjf is right... the chassis* look like they are the same (or very similar) so it's fair to assume that a lot of the suspension
and running gear/componentry are same/similar (oth bikes have a sub 100 kg curb weight as part of their design brief).

*the earlier pictures of the E-freeride I posted were of an earlier prototype, that had a more conventional cradle/tube frame.

My take on the article that Sir Alan wrote about KTM's "indian" connections, were that they would be producing
(as woop and Rjf alluded to) "new" smaller capacity sub 350cc "Duke" (and other soon to be released entry level model bikes)
for deveopling marketplaces - outside of the Mattighofen based companies present "ready to race" niche.

I don't believe (at present) that KTM is about to start farming out the production of it established core market machines to indian or asian factories just yet.

So the orange faithful don't have to worry about switching over from burnt orange, to masala orange... just yet.

"What ees all 'zis f5uss
fuss about...?"

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 06:49 AM
Old 11-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #24
woopwoop
will think for food

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf View Post
I remember that article, IIRC it was a Duke 350. Could be the same engine crated up and sent to Austria. The KTM website says the Freeride E is assembled in Mattighofen (but no mention where the the 350 is assembled). As they use esentially the same frame you'd think they'd assemble them in the same place.

http://www.ktm.com/freeride/freeride...t/Product.html

MADE IN AUSTRIA

With the Freeride E, KTM is setting new standards in respect of response, traction, performance and handling of a motorcycle. From the bottom up, the Freeride E is a completely new development "made in Austria", because an electric bike is also subject to the same requirements in terms of performance, robustness and quality as all other motorcycles that leave the factory buildings in Mattighofen.

I see you remembered the article while I was typing. Damn I type slow!

That's the one. I should add that, as far as I'm concerned "Made in India" (IF it is) implies no criticism. It'd be interesting to see KTM go from being a boutique brand to a mass market player, though.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #25
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,848
I thought they might be bringing back the chopper?

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
woopwoop
will think for food

I might have been getting a bit ahead of myself saying the Freeride engine was actually built in India.......but I think I was on the right track. One of these articles claim that the engine is the one that will power the Duke 350. So, it's not too much of a stretch to suggest that it will be built there in the future.

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/ktm/k...350-announced/

http://bharathautos.com/ktm-freeride...ndia-soon.html

woopwoop screwed with this post 11-09-2011 at 07:24 PM
Old 11-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #27
nevgriff64
Spelt with 2 ffs

Oddometer: 13,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
A few of these up in the Dandenongs, with some mates from the trials club... eh Nev?

Love the way you think, Troy.

"Troy was wrong!" - DRjoe
nevgriff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 AM   #28
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,156
Everyone keeps pointing out its only 23-28hp BUT at what rev's!! its a very important factor i bet it would "feel" more like an "old" styled trials bike that can Rev........so it will probably kick my WR250r's ass

we might see the odd one down here as we have lots of tracks to suit that type of bike

Dont for get the OSSA explorer 280....... two strokes short of a wank is going to be better

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:32 AM   #29
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
Redline is 10,000rpm. The low weight and high torque makes up for the low HP numbers.
interested in something like this, torquey, very light, with very good fuel economy.
The transmission will probably be close ratio since it looks somewhat like a trials bike.
Old 11-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #30
Adrian V
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Selectable mapping...

" Additional engine characteristics can be activated with an optional map select switch." (KTM website).

Maybe a bit more power can be liberated too. Where did the 28hp info come from? I'd be hoping for a wider ratio box, but as ADVJake ponted out a close ratio box would probably make more sense.
Adrian V is offline   Reply With Quote