Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
R12Battletub
nooblet

Oddometer: 312
I tried to buy that bike for a while last year when it was up for sale; I was willing to pay his price but he wouldn't sell. It was odd, why place the ad? In any case I hope you get it but if you decide to not buy it please let me know.

Cheers, Gunther
R12Battletub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:10 PM   #17
frichtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
That "internet thing" really turned this planet into a village...

Well, I hope the bike will be ok....and that the seller isn't gonna change his mind!
frichtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:48 PM   #18
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,516
Specs sometimes hard to dig up on them older ones, some here:

http://www.myshowmywords.com/bmw-r80-gs-paris-dakar/

Too many of them were modified along the way. That one should have a Kickstarter I don't see that on the better pic I have here and the Acerbis front fender is not OEM.No side covers seems to be how they came from BMW, but it should also have the short seat. But that one is like the Corbin, can't move on the saddle, not too good offroad or even to stretch on the road.

It does make a bit of a difference here in BC, 25 years....much cheaper insurance with Collector's Plates. But my 87 GS was also misrepresented as an 88....a good thing in the end, means I'll get the cheap insurance next year.

Now about the above him not selling earlier for the asking price. Wife says sell that thing....Yes honey I posted it but nobody will buy it, do I get to keep it now?

Heidenau Snotex Tires to ride all winter?

P.S.: Casse toi pas la tete pour l'orthographe....K viens pas ici souvent autrement je lui donnerai un petit
Old 11-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #19
R12Battletub
nooblet

Oddometer: 312
"Now about the above him not selling earlier for the asking price. Wife says sell that thing....Yes honey I posted it but nobody will buy it, do I get to keep it now? "

Hahaha, contemplated that manouver a few times myself!
R12Battletub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 964
The tank was probably added later,,the PD kit would have had the solo seat too. Looks like the original shock..that's usually shot in about 30K km..Front springs are probably soft too by now..the extra set of rim have been powder coated...hope it was in gloss back..makes it easier to clean.

Take a look at the space between the front fender and lower triple..see if any spacers were added to so the main harness hasn't been squashed. First generation saddle bags...see if they have the metal or fabric lid holders. Take the tank off and see if the main harness is still OK with no "extensions" added for accessories over the years.

The tank is worth around $1,500 now.,,,the wheels around a grand with tires..that's a very attractive price if the compression is good (145) and the tranny shifts smoothly with no noises.

I really hope he wants to sell..you'll enjoy that first ride and it just gets better from there.
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
frichtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Many thanks for the input people. I'll be writing a list of things to look at.
A solo seat sells for about $400.00 on ebay. (That Corbin seat doesn't look too good...)
I don't see a kick-starter either. Normal?

I'm gonna keep you informed with further development.

Eric
Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #22
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,657
Kick is on the left side, it should have one unless the tranny has been replaced. If it comes from a later GS then there may be circlip issues. I think there is a seat/rack combo available for $360.

A different tranny isn't too much concern, but find out the year bike if came from and the miles on if if it wasn't rebuilt replacement. Still sounds like a good deal..
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:24 AM   #23
TLTom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
I f I had the spare $$$ I'd buy this bike on the spot.
i bought my G/S in dec 2009 and clocked over 80.000 km so far. You'll love this bike.
once you replace that ugly seat and rear fender with stock items she'll look nice again. I have a stock front fender you can have.
TLTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #24
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frichtie View Post
Many thanks for the input people. I'll be writing a list of things to look at.
A solo seat sells for about $400.00 on ebay. (That Corbin seat doesn't look too good...)
I don't see a kick-starter either. Normal?

I'm gonna keep you informed with further development.

Eric
Ugly them Corbins.....if like mine hard as a rock and they limit you too much when standing on the pegs. I liked the OEM seat on the 90 GS but cut the bump back a couple inches so I could slide back and stretch. But you really need a better rear shock than the OEM when you start to play with riding position,center of gravity and preload.

You can most probably modify a Corbin seat pan into a single seat. Now that would interest me and if I ever get to Quebec I do have full access to a Cobbler/Upholsterer shop. I am sure he already has "a few" projects lined up for me but so do my sisters, they are getting a little insistent after a year or so.

The rack thing....nothing that a good welder/fabricator can't work around.

I think you can work the tranny/circlip thing with the tranny serial number, that's above the shifter. If someone has that info/link here they should post it, that's a $500.00+ mod if I judge by the invoice I have here from the PO of my 87.But I got to say that my 90 had waaay more milleage than this one and the tranny never failed and I sure gave it plenty of work.But I never ran it very long with a defective driveshaft like the PO of this 87 bike did.

Loading up my tools and head up that way, not a problem. Convincing the US customs I am not heading to the US to work re: Tools.....I'll bring my cast & crutches, that should do it.

I think you should "meet the wife" and see how serious that guy is about selling it. Did I bring some on them tricks from Quebec.....I think so, I was pretty well raised in a GM dealership out there, I know the tricks, they haven't changed much.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #25
frichtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The Corbin would be kept at hand just in case some day my ladie becomes a passenger...
For the rack...of course the original part is attractive, but...I'm a machinist. So chances are that bike will receive the same "costumizing-treatment" as my Transalp. (Always keeping in mind not to alter its original roots).

That tranny circlip thing worries me a little. I'll make sure I know more about that tranny. What bike it comes from, mileage etc...

Eric
Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #26
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Ah Ah! Then you can save money, the "machining the groove" part was $75.00. The rest is just bearings, shimming,special tools....no worries, most of that is here somewhere.

To assuage your worries...if the clutch isn't adjusted properly at the tranny it will shift pretty darn bad. 201-203 mm of exposed cable at the tranny and then 1.5-2.5 mm free play at the lever. Bring calipers....!

That's a BMW....preload the shifter.
Old 11-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #27
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,657
If it's a R80 tranny then circlip isn't an issue, if it's from a latter model where it might be a problem. Might being the operative word. No point worrying if it has it or not though as you'll never now unless the tranny fails, which might not be related to the circlip. Don't loose sleep over it.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:59 PM   #28
frichtie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

It takes more then that to keep me from sleeping....I rebuilt a 1942 Willys MB, a 1967 Willys M38A1, previously owned 2 Armstrong MT500 military motorcycles, currently own a Transalp I partly rebuilt, have two kids (9 and 13 years old boys) divorced 3 years ago...and still I can sleep with no pills! So one circlip...that isn't mine yet.....

I went to the bank. Got the certified cheque. (not the exact amount just in case...) Trailer is ready.

Since it's a long drive, I prefer taking the trailer and be ready to bring the old lady back....However, I have non idea how things will go tomorrow. Maybe I'll simply come back with an empty trailer....

Eric
Old 11-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #29
Toaster.Tan
Toaster Rider

Oddometer: 159
Buy it - buy it - buy it !

You've got more valuable stuff with that bike than you can shake a wallet at. The R80 had one of the best engines ever made for weight, reliability and power. I'll hook you up with a Canuck in Vancouver (kevin) that has one he rode - and continues to ride - all over the world. I'm not sure if that bike came with 40mm carbs, but if so - more gold attached to it.

One thing.... pull off the thin steel top plate and replace it! The forks actually twist in sand. Sorry if this is a product plug.... but go to the link below to see one that vastly improves the handling.
80 CBX-SuperSport~91 R100GS-PD~04 R1150RT
Bobber project using 1203cc Thunderbolt engine.
Toaster.Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #30
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster.Tan View Post
The R80 had one of the best engines ever made for weight, reliability and power.
I'll agree with only one of those statements. I would add though that it's probably the smoothest twin BMW has ever made... present day models included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster.Tan View Post

I'm not sure if that bike came with 40mm carbs, but if so - more gold attached to it.
I'd sell the 40mm bings for 32s. The 800 doesn't pull enough volume to make good velocity through the 40s. They'll just kill the bottom and mid range in a 800 - exactly what you don't want on a G/S. That's an easy fix though. I'd still buy the hell out of it.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote