User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 11:58 PM   #16
AustSafari OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Afternoon All

Check out our website - Pre Event Guide and EOI form are no online plus a heap of other updates.

Enews Letter will be out tonight (hopefully!!)

Hope everyone had a safe and fun Xmas and New Year - talk soon.

www.australasiansafari.com.au

Cheers
AustSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:49 AM   #17
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,104
New years resolutions...?

12 step safari program...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily

Troy:
Thanks for the inside info. But a question: how DO you know you're good enough to compete in these events?

I'm asking this from the perspective that I have been intrigued by the concept for a long time and I guess I would fall under the 10% you describe. I don't have an interest in short Enduro's. I know they are physically (and mentally challenging), but that is not where my strong points are.

Personally as I see myself more as the "I can keep it together, are consistent, have the stamina and mechanical know-how to make it to the end" type of guy that benefits from prolonged endurance events.

How do YOU know is a hard question for ME to answer, cause other than - what I assume is a fair and genuine self assessment you wrote of what you feel your abilites, I know nothing of how you ride. (More Ewes than a lambing paddock in that one eh? ) But based on what you wrote, my fairest advice would be this; a two season goal to the safari - both time to save up the brass, prep the body and mind, do some other races/rides and purchase prep the bike - if you don't already own the one you plan to use that is.

We're in january so we can start it out as a new year resolution eh?

Start out ride whatever you can wherever you can as much as possible.

Fitness: Set a realistic base line training goal... one that fits in with family work and lifestyle... for many this will m´ean sacrifice time from other things you deem (at present) as "normal" life pattern... but the thing is, after about five to six weeks (if you don't go iron man overboard) it's actually not that hard to find 40 minutes to an hour every other day to establish a baseline. Once it becomes a "normal" aspect of the daily regime, it's actually not so hard to maintain. The important thing is not to overdo it, many get all fired up with a bug in their arse on newyears day... and by feb 4th week they're burnt out. Moderation.

A strength (workout with some cardion vascular) of 1 hour, alternated every other day with a light 40 min to max 1 hour run (to start out with).

That's 3 afternoons (or mornings) a week (depending on you work/family commitments) to sacrifice of max an hour, from which the average Jim who doesn't do too much to keep in shape, will after six weeks (if keep it up) will have you feeling decidedly better cardio and heart lung wise.

If you're not into jogging (knees back crook etc.) can also recommend cycling ( though try to make it 90 mins on bike seession at least). if MTB is you game... even better... the cardio, the leg/arm work and terrain skills... all good

I'm not gonna preach food. or quit smoking... there's any number of gyms, books, pers trainer, video that can do a better job than I... I don't preftend to be a fitness freak... just fom own pers experience if you set a goal date and timeframe it makes it bit easier/more determined.

So over the first year step training up (six week increments at a time) as you lifestyle/etc allows... 12 months in you will have gen body condition an heart lung capacity considerably better to go racing.

Riding: But anyway bak to the important (riding) bit. Ride as much as you can... you say you don't like short enduro's... okay, plan som long epic (little tougher) trail adventure ride. Make a point of lengthen the saddle time and mentally challenge youself to ride more technical trails. not necessarily try to ride faster... longer is better. if your comfotable doing a day ride (six to 8 hours) in two max three stints, with only stopping for fuel a leak or something to ea,. that's the ticket.

You are from WA eh Squily?

Navigation: if you are going to ride safari... an entry in the Yilgarn Rally (June/july?) is probably a must... it's the only way to get the experience of using roadbook, the timing and control stuff as well as the general "feel" of what a rally is to ride/compete. You will also meet/make contact with other competitors also planning preparing for the safari that you can share ideas/experience with etc.

In your first rally you will, most likley; get lost, make wrong turns and generally bungle along thinking; "I'm riding like a snail, I will never get the hang of riding along reading this fuckin' dunny roll...etc." don't worry, perfectly normal, that's what it is like for everyone!

By the end of the rally you will say either; "Shit, that was fun... i rode that last stage today, only one nav miss... and I reckon I was a fair bit quicker than that bloke who passed me in this mornings stage".

or;

"Nah... fuck that, getting lost, riding round in circles, trying to find me way... I'll go back to tooling around in the bush with me GPS or something else."

All is good... 'cause whether it was option i) or option ii), either way you have not spent a fortune to find out and the event is set up in a way to be accessible for first time rally rider.

Do more riding, club enduro's or MX if you so inclined or the Epic ride we talked about before.

By the time sept. is around, see if (via here of Yilgarn) you can fenegel a spot on a team or for a mate as service crew for the Safari,

You get to learn from the inside out what it's all about, the bivouac, how the whole show runs... controls, service points, refuels it's like orientation day, but for ten days.

Hving completed a Safari you're "WA" rally network has a few contacts in it... tine to peak that competitive spirit. enter the gascoyne dah...? Reaced before? well sell a result/goal. Never raced before? Just plan on finishing, set a pace you know you could do all day and... jusyt go all day.

Now that a year has passed, wash, rinse repeat... although this year, maybe team up with some WA's and head over to Condo (good experience/different terrain) in April, and then do the Yilgarn in middle of the year... by now you got a minimum train program of maybe 4 even 5 hours a week... do an epic ride once evry two/three week (with some shorter trails in between if you can swing it?

After yilgarn the bike build in earnest has started (only nav gear is really needed for Yilgarn Condo... don't need to go the million dollar bike from day one) and you are all planning your co-ordinating a nd prep work together with your newly found circle of cyber.safari mates getting ready for the same evet! Some experienced, some not but all very helpful..

By september the scond year, your about 10 to fifteen kilo's lighter than you been for years, you can ride two three hour stints in the firetrails and wood at a steady pace, without getting knocked up, making too many mistakes (falls) and your on the start dias for the biggest race you've ever embarked on, aboard you newly prepped old faithfull, in the 2013 Australasian Safari... it's your own personal DAKAR - and lovin' every minute of it...

At the end of the Safari your answer will have been found.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
Maggno
Ride hard...

Oddometer: 273
Excellent info Troy. Right on the money.

Who is that gun DRZ rider under the Safari arch?...
20 Parties and 132 days around the world
Maggno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggno View Post

Need a closer look maggno? He's an ugly bugger eh.!

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #20
sb_250y
Safari Finisher 2011

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post

Riding: But anyway bak to the important (riding) bit. Ride as much as you can... you say you don't like short enduro's... okay, plan som long epic (little tougher) trail adventure ride. Make a point of lengthen the saddle time and mentally challenge youself to ride more technical trails. not necessarily try to ride faster... longer is better. if your comfotable doing a day ride (six to 8 hours) in two max three stints, with only stopping for fuel a leak or something to ea,. that's the ticket.

All I did for Safari was 2 rides a week of enduro style riding with minimal rest & a Yellow Mountain Cross country at about 90% to minimise risk of injury prior to Safari.

A couple of Condo's for Nav experience

Finished 20th outright as I had a small issue near the end of day 2 with a stick hanging out of my foot, remove the penalty applied & add the time of people running around me would have seen a 14th outright.

I'm still happy with 20th outright & a Finshers medal as the whole reason for riding Safari was to come home with the Finishers medal.

I'd say that Safari requires more mental fitness/alertness than Physical fitness IMHO for the average punter.
11 ZX14
70 R5 + 73 RD350
sb_250y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:22 AM   #21
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,659
Damn! So that's my problem - I over train!
You did very well sb_250y and I congratulate you on your ride in the Safari. A bit of effort as you put in for physical preparation definitely pays dividends in long races and there really is nothing better than bike time. This is something I have learnt the hard way, as pure physical fitness just doesn't cut it on Rallyes. As you said, it's actually not so bad on Safari, as it's really not a physically tough event, it's far more a mentally tough event because of the long days with multiple stages and moving bivouacs. Compared to the Desert Challenge which is physically faaar tougher but mentally faaar easier (as long as you can talk yourself to manage the relentless dunes!).

I would suggest you can do okay in the Safari with moderate fitness if you can maintain concentration for long days (which is related to fitness, as when you physically tire your thoughts start to get taken over). One important note - the biggest hurdle is simply to enter. Make that commitment and learn plenty in the first year and the desire to develop some fitness and all the other aspects of preparation will follow ... or maybe disappear.

So Squily, just get in there on the Safari action. Give me a call if you want to chat on it and I'll do what I can to help you out.
Cheers
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #22
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,104
Safari on a budget... for the common rider.

Quote:

I know you won't find it coincidental Magnus... but I actually did have yourself... and a number of our other inmates/safari veterans in the back of my mind... thinking "what would these guys suggest... if asked the same question...? When I was writing that piece (sorry for all the spelling and grammar misstakes folks... I was literally falling asleep at the keyboard).

The photo of you under the arch, was - honestly - just a coincidence (the first one that popped up) that it was you Maggno ; the privateer budget racer "peoples champion" of 2011 safari on the rent-a-rocket DRZ 400... well that must have just been pre-ordaned I reckon.

The advice I tried to give was "real world" approach for blokes who want to plan and give themselves a chance of entering and completing the safari... considering the other timeconstraints and schedules that everyday life dictates. I actually gave some similar hints to a few other inmates who contacted me prior to the APC Rally last year... asking for some tips.

I honestly believe that a lot of folks make the Safari into a far bigger investment in time, money and personal commitment of "family" time than it really NEEDS to be, by heading down a path that is overkill. If you just want to ride to finish, it CAN be done on a relatively modest budget (all things are relative)... but as I've said before at various times and posts around here, many get caught up in the (misstaken) belief that they have to approach the thing like they are a factory rider prepping for DAKAR. And that gets expensive from both the time and money aspect.

Common "overkill" misstakes I have noted:

TRAINING: Many set big training schedule expectations on themselves... which require not only time, but a rethink of the whole daily routine/mentality if they are to be followed through. Unless you are already a person who HAS a regular structured training regime/program as part of your lifestyle, just waking up one day and deciding that your going to jointhe Grant Kenny club is harder than just saying it. Let's be honest, the majority of us out there in ADVRider land probably aren't big time fitness regime freaks. You just gotta look at the majority of the camfire photo's on here to come to that understanding.

But still you get blokes that decide they are going to do an APC rally or the Safari and hey presto, suddenly right off the bat they set the bar up high. What happens? Often they fall through... time constraints of work/family just make it impractical impossibility. It is far better to set a realistic program that you can attain. Then if along the way, you find everything falling into place, well you can always up the ante if you like...

BIKE PREP: For some reason (it could be genetic... seems that the DNA of an ADV rider has a tendecy to FARKLE addiction) a lot of people fall into the trap/missbelief that to do the Safari they have to buy a new bike with all the flash gizmo's on it. Others start out with their original steed in mind and a realistic budget in hand, but along the way get caught up in improvements to the org. blueprint and "oh... while I am at it, I might as well get this also..." And in no time flat they have raped the piggy bank.

I understand as well as anyone the allure of buying a new bike and tricking it out. Many justify it in their own mind by rationalising; "hey if I am only gonna' do this once, I'm gonna give myself the best chance and do it right..." Which is fine, if Mick Worksalot wants to spend his kids hard earned inheritance on a new factory built Suprilia Rallye replica with all the trick gadgets on it, and he can afford it, good luck to him!

But unfortunately many others come to the belief that it HAS to be that way... and file it in the too hard/too expensive basket. My point being if you want to ride on a budget, it can be done and still be a lot of fun.

Maggnos rent-a-DR400 project is just one of the perfect examples of how it CAN be done on a shoestring.

RIDING SKILLS/COMPETITION GOALS: i'll make this short... but I've seen it happen so much of late, I thought I'd mention it.

Ponder this: a guy in his late thirties/early 40's... never been a "racer" so to speak, but mostly social trail rider, slightly above medium to average riding skills, the occassional club enduro - maybe five years ago - but mostly fun/trail riding with mates. Typical middle of the pack enthusiast.

He decides to try out this navigational rally caper and enters after much combing of the net and ADVRIder training, there's a map reader/ICO on the bars, all is lookin' good, and up to the start line ready to go.

Now he is still is the same "Johnny come mately" he's been for the last five years, in ability and skill/determination... but for some magical reason - just because the WR 400F now has numbers on the sideplates and he signed an entry form - suddenly he has tranformed into Stefan Everts and has attained the seeming ability to ride at 20 to 30% faster than he normally would... OVERNIGHT! I know it sounds impossible (it is) but just by entering a race you will find yourself going much quicker than you can otherwise ride. It's astonishing... but it's true.

Okay... so I am being a bit of a smartarse... but the fact is that probabaly 90% of us out there who have ever started in our first race are guilty of doing JUST that.

Hands up (honestly) anyone that can say they have'nt done so. I'm betting those that do, are those that finished their first ever competition event. Generally it is a common trait that n00bies to the race scene take off in a flurry of adrenalin and excitement (all completely understandable) and end up either lost or in a dogpile before the first special stage is over.

Anyway I gotta go for now... I hope that thios years Safari attracts a good field of pro's, seasoined veterans, experienced enthusiasts AND newcomers to the 2012 Australasian Safari. I spend time on this board, mostly because I really believe that discussions like this one can help get more riders looking to do this type of event enthused and motivated on the right trach to be involved... without breaking the bank.

EDIT: In closing I have to say I agree 100% with the post that Stuart sb_250y made above this one. A common sense, straight forward approach and a realistic race strategy (pace) goes a long way towards you getting one of those bronze medals around you neck!

JayBo also makes a very good point about the mental drain and grind of the long days... physical finess but more importantly lot's of saddle time are certainly the best way to prepare for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #23
sb_250y
Safari Finisher 2011

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Damn! So that's my problem - I over train!
You did very well sb_250y and I congratulate you on your ride in the Safari. A bit of effort as you put in for physical preparation definitely pays dividends in long races and there really is nothing better than bike time. This is something I have learnt the hard way, as pure physical fitness just doesn't cut it on Rallyes. As you said, it's actually not so bad on Safari, as it's really not a physically tough event, it's far more a mentally tough event because of the long days with multiple stages and moving bivouacs. Compared to the Desert Challenge which is physically faaar tougher but mentally faaar easier (as long as you can talk yourself to manage the relentless dunes!).

I would suggest you can do okay in the Safari with moderate fitness if you can maintain concentration for long days (which is related to fitness, as when you physically tire your thoughts start to get taken over). One important note - the biggest hurdle is simply to enter. Make that commitment and learn plenty in the first year and the desire to develop some fitness and all the other aspects of preparation will follow ... or maybe disappear.

So Squily, just get in there on the Safari action. Give me a call if you want to chat on it and I'll do what I can to help you out.
Cheers
JayBo
I forgot to mention I was a GHR customer, so that takes another big part out of the preparation as well as the stress of working on a bike each night & ensuring the team are on the same page & make it to refuel, service etc on time.

My biggest job was to mark up my maps each night, ensure I was hydrated, fed & most importantly got to bed as early as possible. I also took advantage of the Catering & the Serviced Tent package.

Physically I feel I could have riden another week of Safari, mentally I'd had enough, the second stage of day 7 I was overshooting corners & ended up in a fence on the last corner.
11 ZX14
70 R5 + 73 RD350

sb_250y screwed with this post 01-13-2012 at 04:29 AM
sb_250y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #24
Sylvia
vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer: 3,277

Sylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
AustSafari OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
The lads just sent this to me....somewhere North of Perth - Safari 2012 Course Survey

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
AustSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:48 PM   #26
Maggno
Ride hard...

Just emailed my Safari 2012 Expression of Interest in.
Always feels good once committed.

Now I've got to go out to the chook shed a pick a bike. I've never done safari on the same brand yet.. Might have to go to the shop and have a look. Thinking blue and yellow or maybe red and white.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #27
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,715
Quote:

Now I've got to go out to the chook shed a pick a bike. I've never done safari on the same brand yet.. Might have to go to the shop and have a look. Thinking blue and yellow or maybe red and white.
Im in too, adventure tour though, Seths videos got em scared of kangeroos and fences...

Justin just received my form and holidays got approved.

Cant wait!

Still hoping for a few 'tulip munchers' to show for the race!
Old 03-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #28
Maggno
Ride hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Im in too, adventure tour though, Seths videos got em scared of kangeroos and fences...

Justin just received my form and holidays got approved.

Cant wait!

Still hoping for a few 'tulip munchers' to show for the race!
The ADV Tour is a blast. You'll have a great time. One of the best tours in Australia and awesome bang for your buck...
Old 03-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #29
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,715
Quote:
The ADV Tour is a blast. You'll have a great time. One of the best tours in Australia and awesome bang for your buck...
Good to hear! Looking forward to seeing the west of australia!
Old 03-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #30
ROKIT_71
Going Orange

Oddometer: 184
Quote:

Go the blue and yellow Mags. Nothing beats the 570 grunt.

Submitted my Expression of Interest so the rematch is on.

Look forward to us both having a lager at the after party after we have finished the race.
ROKIT_71 is offline   Reply With Quote