User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
oneway OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
KLR650 gen 1 crap brakes

I have a gen 1. Did the braided brake lines, 320mm rotor up front, galfer green pads....brakes are still crap. Anybody put any serious brakes on their gen 1?
I feel like Fred flintstone on this damn thing.
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:42 PM   #2
GSequoia
Where are my tools?

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneway View Post
I have a gen 1. Did the braided brake lines, 320mm rotor up front, galfer green pads....brakes are still crap. Anybody put any serious brakes on their gen 1?
I feel like Fred flintstone on this damn thing.
The factory pads on mine were total shit, the front was scary. I deglazed the rotor (careful sanding) and put Galfer black pads on it and never looked back. The pads wear quickly but they stop the bike sorta-okay, worlds better than the factory pads but I'm in no way doing stoppies.
1977 Cimatti City Bike. What, you call that a build thread? Officially stalled...
GSequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
Mens Rea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
There are a couple of threads in the KLR only forums that address how to get past where you are. Google is your friend. Some guys have used an SV650 front caliper, others swap out the master cylinder, some both.

They usually have to do some fabrication for the caliper swap. The m/c swaps are to change the m/c - caliper hydraulics ratio.

Let us know what you figure out. I've thought about picking up a KLR for a while, but I know I'm going to feel the need for some actual brakes...
Mens Rea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
juddspaintballs
Never too many bikes

Oddometer: 500
Try out some HH pads first. The green pads are supposed to be gentle on the rotors, and thus don't have as much grab as something like HH pads.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #5
Skowinski
Primate

Oddometer: 6,093
I have an 06, and agree the stock brakes aren't too great. Did braided lines front and rear and HH pads on the front, nothing else. It's "decent" now, by my standards, but I very rarely ride in traffic, and the KLR certainly does promote poking along at a leisurely pace. Hey, it isn't a Hayabusa, if it were you'd really need to stop.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:39 AM   #6
oneway OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
I have an FJR also. That thing stops right now!!
But the KLR is just plain stupid.
oneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #7
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,987
HH pads.

You could also try modifying the carrier and try using a 2 piston caliper, which would be a huge gain.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #8
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 9,079
If I was looking for the easiest way to do this I'd go with a four piston Nissin or Tokico caliper from a Honda or Kawasaki 600 or the like. It should work with the stock master cylinder, but if not you will need a single piston street bike master cylinder.

The reason for the 4 piston is that the mount can be fixed, the opposing pistons will make it work easily. If you use a two piston set up like most dual sports or older sport bikes you will need the entire carrier to cut off and graft the sliding pin set up on the mount you make. The four piston can use a simple flat plate mount.

Only issue you may encounter with a four piston would be if the inside would hit the spokes.

I have done a twin piston Interceptor caliper on my Yamaha SR500, cutting the pin portion off the Honda carrier then welding it on the fork mount plate I made for the SR. Works great. I was fortunate I knew someone who could weld up the alloy bracket set up.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,432
Surf my posts in the Ninja 300 thread regarding brakes. I matched a ninja 650 master with Tokico 6 piston off a hyabusa and a 4 piston from a GSXR 600/750. Either worked pretty good with the stock 12mm ninjette master, but the bigger 650 master gave more power, less lever travel. Good match on the cheapo. I think it is 14mm or damn near anyways.

I had a 2000 KLR for one year, bought new and the brakes were the biggest reason I dumped it in 2001! There were others, but that was really bad on a brand new bike. Drum woulda been as good imo. Ninjettes aren't much better!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
HH pads.

You could also try modifying the carrier and try using a 2 piston caliper, which would be a huge gain.

I bought a front pair of SV650 calipers off ebay for really cheap. All ready had the oversize rotor.
Just welded the SV caliper bracket to the KLR one and instant stoppie power! I really does work
like a front brake should now.

It did take a few miles to "seat in" at first it felt spongy like the brake line needed to be bled.

pluric screwed with this post 01-14-2015 at 03:54 PM
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 9,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

I bought a front pair of SV650 calipers off ebay for really cheap. All ready had the oversize rotor.
Just welded the SV caliper bracket to the KLR one and instant stoppie power! I really does work
like a front brake should now.

It did take a few miles to "seat in" at first it felt spongy like the brake line needed to be bled.

Pretty much what I did on the SR500 with same results.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote