User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
zimflux OP

Oddometer: 35
yamaha bw200 - valve adjustment issues

Hi all,

I posted this int he big wheel thread, but I figured this was applicable elsewhere as well:

New to me bike and going through the maintenance procedures... Adjusted my valves to the service manual spec on my 85' BW200 and now I am blessed with some very nice valve tapping. Checked it multiple times: - TDC compression stroke, T marking on flywheel, Intake: 0.09-0.13 mm (0.0035-0.0043 in) Exhaust: 0.15-0.19 mm (0.0059- 0.0075 in).

After speaking with a buddy of mind he said that the spec is no longer relative due to the normal wear and tear on the engine (given the year) and would need to be adjusted by feel. He suggested going finger tight and then backing off hair before tightening the locknut. Zero vertical movement and a hair of horizontal.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
zimflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
I hope your buddy buys you a new engine when it blows up.

Valve clearance should be adjusted to spec provided by the manufactor throughout the entire life of the engine.

Whats youre setting, try the tighter end of the spec, see if it helps. And be god damn sure to be on the right TDC :)
Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
zimflux OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
I hope your buddy buys you a new engine when it blows up.

Valve clearance should be adjusted to spec provided by the manufactor throughout the entire life of the engine.

Whats youre setting, try the tighter end of the spec, see if it helps. And be god damn sure to be on the right TDC :)
Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have verified multiple times it's TDC on the compression stroke. After the intake valve closes and the piston is at its top most position AND the flywheel is marked with the T.

I set them to: Intake .004 and exhaust to .006.

No valve train noise before the adjustment and now its there.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #4
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,116
Normal, you should be able to hear a little clatter when they're adjusted right. A slappy valve is a happy valve.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:52 PM   #5
zimflux OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Normal, you should be able to hear a little clatter when they're adjusted right. A slappy valve is a happy valve.
I guess that's my issue... Everyone has a some saying but I am looking for actual answer. If you know what I mean. Thanks though. Maybe all the sayings are true:)

It's not chatter unfortunately but real valve tap that was not there before I adjusted them.

My friend who is trained motorcycle mechanic is the one who told me about the potential out of spec concept and I was curious as to what other thought.

Much appreciated.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:00 PM   #6
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimflux View Post
real valve tap that was not there before I adjusted them.

My friend who is trained motorcycle mechanic is the one who told me about the potential out of spec concept and I was curious as to what other thought.

Much appreciated.
It's normal, you friend doesn't know what he's talking about. You did it right.