Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 01:42 PM   #1666
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semodirt View Post
Has anyone gotten the recommended valve adjustment for their bike and if so what kind of cost ?
$170 in my area for the first service
Old 07-17-2013, 10:00 PM   #1667
JRaye89
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Has anyone gotten the recommended valve adjustment for their bike and if so what kind of cost ?
I paid $50 for my first service. I got a coupon when i bought the bike.
JRaye89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:59 PM   #1668
DOUBLE-O G
Smooth Operator

Oddometer: 2,381
Nice review from Ride Apart (Hell for Leather):
http://rideapart.com/2013/07/rideapa...honda-crf250l/
Old 07-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #1669
michaelwoodcock
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxmike View Post
saw my first CRF250L in real life out on the trail this weekend at the ANF. I was happy and sad. happy that it looks just as nice in person and much more substantial then it does it pictures. I can understand how it weighs so much now that I have seen one. I am sad because now that I have seen one I really want one, which I guess does not make me said but it makes my better half and my bank account sad.
If you can get it to replace car, and drive more than maybe, oh, 15 miles a day, your bank account with thank you after a few weeks for not spending so much at the gas station!

Has anyone tried the big bore kit? I was wondering if it was a wiesico piston. They have some cheap big bore kits made in China and I want to make sure if I get a big bore kit it's a nice American made set of parts. It certainly looks like it's a CNC'd piston. I can't remember all the other good piston brands, CP, JE, I'm sure there are others.

I've ridden this bike for almost 5k miles now, on and off road, and I've averaged 62 miles per gallon. During break in the gas mileage was usually in the 50's, maybe it was just my riding style while I got used to the engine. I changed the oil at 600 miles and put a magnetic oil drain bolt in for good measure.

I am still working on finding disc brakes to adabt the CBR250R rims to this bike to go supermoto on the cheap. I would love to have a set of street tires & rims without having to spend $1,000 + on it!
michaelwoodcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #1670
Semodirt
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Crf250l for sale

A 2013 honda crf250l with warranty left till oct. a clean unscratched 800 mi. Bike, includes skid plate, 13 tooth sprocket, rear rack, hour meter/tach. Bike is like new. If interested call 573-382-9035. Bike is in se missouri
Semodirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:23 AM   #1671
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
A 2013 honda crf250l with warranty left till oct. a clean unscratched 800 mi. Bike, includes skid plate, 13 tooth sprocket, rear rack, hour meter/tach. Bike is like new. If interested call 573-382-9035. Bike is in se missouri
AND...I believe, second owners can buy a 2nd or 3rd year of warranty...that's what they told me when I bought my CRF...but see the dealer or a dealer for sure
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #1672
danptobin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Cool2 How far have you gone?

Im going around the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain in oct and am wondering if its worth setting up the lil CRF for bags and gas cans or I should just take my M50. Id really like to get a Vstrom but thats gonna be awhile. Any thoughts? Ive never had a bike with a windshield so Im used to some wind and Ive riden the lil one on the interstate and I wasnt hurting any.
danptobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #1673
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danptobin View Post
Im going around the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain in oct and am wondering if its worth setting up the lil CRF for bags and gas cans or I should just take my M50. Id really like to get a Vstrom but thats gonna be awhile. Any thoughts? Ive never had a bike with a windshield so Im used to some wind and Ive riden the lil one on the interstate and I wasnt hurting any.
As a CRF owner I can tell you YES....you need to carry spare gas...there sure isn't any interstate looping those lakes, but a little something to break the wind and rain would be nice...but not essential
Old 08-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #1674
The_Precious_Juice
In Garrison.

Oddometer: 1,592
Don't forgot crappy gas miliage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercreep View Post

Everything out there right now...SUCKS! = too heavy/under powered, too high strung/maint. intensive, and most of all, too freaking expensive when they come close to hitting the mark.
I have to admit, I've given up on the (street legal) D.S. market in general.
I've given up also. I wanted to have a DS to replace my aging car, but can't find anything.

However, I think the 250L would would be an ok DS for a go at your own pace solo adventure tour.
I have not rode since 1999, and I'm fixing to get out of the Navy in 50 days, and hope to go on a tour this winter (EFI).

The 250L is the best I can do. Nothing great, but gets the job done if your looking for a transport not a toy.

The Mighty DR and DRZ400 come close, but the gas miliage sold me on the 250L, plus like I typed, I'll be riding in the colder time of the year.

Even, with the 2 gallon tank, the range is just as good as the 650 (3.4 gallon) and the 400 (2.4 gallon).

Just like the stock market (buy low, sale high) frame of mind, I think think Suzuki can look at the market and see it is time to unleash another great holigan bike upon the planet. And it does not have to be super high tech to do it.

I'm sure they have these bikes on a back shelf waiting to pull the trigger on them.
The time is very soon. http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...sales-q1-2013/

Honda got a good head start with the 250L.

I just hate how it is call a Little Red Pig. I had pigs.
I'm thinking Little Red Mule. If it's good enough for Festus Haggen, it's good enough for me.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #1675
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed@ford View Post
i'm making a stretch here placing the thai exchange and labor rates below china because china has the resources to keep their money somewhat inflated in value. The us has been beating on them to properly value their currency...and china politely tells the us to bugger off. Thailand is way down on the totempole and their currency has to float. Personally, i'd rather help the thai and viet nam economies that china. And, you can rest assured that japanese honda quality folks hold their feet to the fire...just like the germans (bmw) hold their foreign vendors' feet to the fire.
agreed.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #1676
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Precious Juice: Roanoke Valley is a fine place to ride your new CRF. My sister-in-law lives there, and I've ridden the parkway since '76. The CRF loves the parkway and all the little narrow back roads. Since Honda has announced a 300cc version of the street-going CBR250, I'm all excited for a CRF 300 in '15 or so. Also we shall be getting our first look at the KTM super duke 390 which could lead to a dual sport version of that 390 engine. However, I don't think KTM will get close to the 7000 mile valve lash service interval of the CRF, and will be service intensive like every other KTM. Time will tell.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:30 AM   #1677
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTSASS View Post
hi guys
anyone have problems with their bikes shutting off when you are downshifting ? specificly when downshifting, when you pull in the clutch the engine just shuts off.
My wife's bike has been doing this. Honda's response- idling is too low, but they have failed to fix it. Real irritation, but does seem to get better one the engine is properly warmed up.

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #1678
Glennius
n00b

Oddometer: 9
250L Random dying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squily View Post
My wife's bike has been doing this. Honda's response- idling is too low, but they have failed to fix it. Real irritation, but does seem to get better one the engine is properly warmed up.
Hi Squily from Ontario Canada...

My 250L has done this twice. I believe the reason in my case was low battery terminal voltage.

I have an alarm on mine as my 2008 230L was stolen (learned my lesson) and I leave the alarm on between rides. I since have purchased a battery tender as I think my computer was misbehaving when my battery was discharged. It seems the regulator almost learns the lower voltage and keeps it there....sounds crazy...but no trouble since I topped it up.

I was at an intersection when I went to engage the clutch and throttle up and it just died like the injector just shut off when it happened to me.

Like I said....other than a couple of times....hasn't done it since I put the bike on the tender.

Hope this is some useful info....

Glenn.
1980 Honda XL80S
1976 Honda CT70 (First Machine) Nope, didn't get laid! (Fun though!)
Glennius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #1679
Squily
Squily

Thanks Glen.

Harcomo also PM'd me some stuff for setting the idling. The bike's just out of warranty, so I'll start working on it myself now. I'm think it might be something to do with the fuel-injection and idling, as the problem seems much worse on the 'in-between' when the engine is still warming up.

Squily
Old 01-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #1680
Squily
Squily

front suspension related question

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before:

So the bike is out of warranty. Which led me to start modifying it for the wife. Lowered the rear suspension by about 20mm according to the Thai-principle (i.e. drill extra holes in the shock support) and dropped the front forks 16mm in the triple-clamp. Shortened the side stand.

Wife loves it, but she's complaining about a much harsher/jarring ride and the bike feeling unstable at speed. Softened up the rear-shock. Better, but still jarring on the handle-bars and front feels very stiff compared to back now.

Did the normal thing and started checking bit-by-bit. Balanced the front wheel. Found the rear-wheel is 3mm out-of-round and busy with that. All of these are vibration-related, and does not really do much for the harshness. Dealers are saying recommended fork-oil is 10W and softer oil is not really going to make any difference. Should consider softer spring in the front fork.

Anybody else have any suggestions or solved this issue please? My wife is about 60kg, and allowing for a bit of luggage, we'll try and set the bike up for 70kg.

Squily