Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #166
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
KLX great bike but not FI
I was going to say, "What bike is that"? The KLXs we get in the states are carbed or the FI race bikes.

Seriously, though, Honda should have updated the CRF230L with fuel injection and left it at that. That bike was 267lbs fully fueled and had a larger tank (and a steel frame).
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:58 AM   #167
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
The European version of the KLX250 is fuel injected ( 34 mm x 1 (Keihin)) to meet Euro3 emission regulations. No more carbs over here.
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #168
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
Klx, 298 pounds, 35 inch seat height, 2 gallons of gas, seems about the same as the crf without fuel injection.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #169
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Klx, 298 pounds, 35 inch seat height, 2 gallons of gas, seems about the same as the crf without fuel injection.
About the same but for 26 extra pounds I think this is a deal-breaker for me.
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #170
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
320 pounds is not that bad...
bah. hah. phooey. 300llbs+ for ANY 250cc dirtbike or dualsport sucks ass.

Quote:
Remove a quart of oil, the rear sub frame, use expensive metals, skimp everywhere, charge 50% more money and you have a ktm?
Maybe closer to 100% more, but it's at least 5x the bike.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #171
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,803
I have to admit it seems a bit odd that the weight difference between the 250L and 650 is only 22lbs, but the difference between the 250L and the 230L is 57lbs.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #172
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I have to admit it seems a bit odd that the weight difference between the 250L and 650 is only 22lbs, but the difference between the 250L and the 230L is 57lbs.
Shit, my dualsported and kitted-out XR650R with 3.2 gallons of gas weighed quite a bit less that this little piglet. We used to have a garage full of red bikes. Now they're all orange. Not any kind of brand loyalist, Honda hasn't just made anything worthwhile in quite a while.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #173
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,328
Why stop making the 230L then?
267 pounds, 6 speed trans, just bore the thing out and make it a 250 or more.

Oh, I guess the crf has more power stock with less emissions?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #174
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
KLX great bike but not FI
It is FI here in Thailand
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #175
thumpnokie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
324 (holy shit!) lbs!

I had been thinking I might upgrade from my plated 230F if the price was right.

No thanks, I think I'll stick with my current 250 lbs.
thumpnokie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #176
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
At this point the only saving grace on a 325#/~25hp 250cc dual sport is that it better be cheap; really, really cheap because while it has the weight of a big bore euro thumper it has not the suspension, power or braking of them.
jasonmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #177
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
I really doubt it is meant to be competition for a WR250R/KLX & those looking for that will be disappointed.

Obviously there must be lots of Americans on this thread as so many people think the KLX is not FI and of course it is - just about everywhere but the US. It'll probably be a great bike for the average Thai rider whose got enough income to jump up from the Honda dream category.
These guys ride their bikes every day for transportation, commuting and hauling King size mattress' home from the store. The bikes are already taxed far more than in the US and they are likely to put 20,000 km a year on their bikes. There's no way they could afford a KTM with a life span of 10,000 miles (new bike every 6 months; oil change 3X a week and valve checks every Saturday).
The market is huge as probably 50% of Asia has a bike.

Of course only time will tell but I'm guessing there's a chance the CRF will beat or even blow the WRR or KLX away reliability wise. It's shorter which is better for Asians. Heavier is good for the roads (to a degree)... For those liking off road it'll be something fun they can do with their commuter vehicle.

Since most Americans never see really high mileage numbers, bikes like the WRR or KLX are already in the super reliable category. But you have to think if your income was 10X smaller, bikes cost 2X as much and you really did do 20K km a year there is room for a category above the KLX/WRR reliability wise. And this is where the biggest buyers of motorcycles are. So for example you might expect:

5,000 miles out of KTM 690 (but be ready for 2 or your just setting yourself up for disappointment! )
10,000 miles out of a KTM 525 EXC (yes despite what they're marketed as, you'll beat the 690)
30,000 miles out of a WRR
40,000 miles out of a KLX

I have no idea how the CRF 250 will perform, I'm just saying there is room for a bike in the largest markets in the world to average 80-100,000 miles. Rental companies I talked to in Chiang Mai (I quizzed tons on reliability issues as they are probably the best source) said the Honda XR250 was far more reliable on average then the KLX250 (the 2 most popular dual sport rentals). I looked at the KLX odometers and was like, "but this one has 49k and this one 73k and this one 62k km!" I guess I just had a hard time believing another dual sport could beat that but the rental owners consistantly said the XR's did.

I'm not meaning to minimize anyone's disapointment with the weight with this post! I was too when I saw that - I'm just offering a possible explanation as to why or more importantly where a bike like this would make sense.

And fwiw, as an American used to racing high performance bikes, I've found here in Malaysia I can have lots of fun "racing" other Malaysians on their heavier, wussyier bikes provided the playing field is the same. Recently at an enduro here they had a new category for the newly popular KLX150. It allowed people to race on bikes they commute to work with and it was hilarious watching them. Seriously in economically tough times I think it really be a fun thing to have a category in hare scrambles/enduros etc for heavy, reliable bikes cuz sometimes it's just too expensive to stay competitive in normal categories.
rickypanecatyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #178
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell driver View Post
The European version of the KLX250 is fuel injected ( 34 mm x 1 (Keihin)) to meet Euro3 emission regulations. No more carbs over here.
hopefully that bike comes to the us too.
figured kawi had to do something w/ their carbed 250 ds bike...but that has been under the radar. they might steal the show
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:18 AM   #179
yyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Canada gets the carb'd KLX. I have a 2009 and the bike has been a real disappointment. I could not wait for the warranty to expire to put in a dynojet kit, the bike ran horribly. If it sits any length of time it refuses to start.

It's been to the dealer several times, with no improvement. The hard starting is not unique to me, check out the forums, I cant wait for the crf250, Honda would not sell a bike with fueling issues. My wife's crf230l with carb always starts right up, even after sitting all winter.
yyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #180
TonyBKK
Secret Soi Rider

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyz View Post
Canada gets the carb'd KLX. I have a 2009 and the bike has been a real disappointment. I could not wait for the warranty to expire to put in a dynojet kit, the bike ran horribly. If it sits any length of time it refuses to start.

It's been to the dealer several times, with no improvement. The hard starting is not unique to me, check out the forums, I cant wait for the crf250, Honda would not sell a bike with fueling issues. My wife's crf230l with carb always starts right up, even after sitting all winter.

Funny thing is here in Thailand most folks yank the FI and replace with a carb when they install a big bore kit on the KLX 250...

If your FI gets clogged due when you're in the jungle in Laos or Cambodia or remote parts of Thailand you're farked.

And when riding in remote areas you often have to contend with dirty contaminated fuel. Carbs seem to handle dirty better than FI IMO.

If you have FI problems in the jungle you're screwed. Carb's on the other hand can be rebuilt just about anywhere...
2011 Kawasaki VERSYS!
2005 BMW K1200LT
TonyBKK is offline   Reply With Quote