Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #226
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVwanaB View Post
I believe you need to take a good hard look at the KLX250s with a Bill Blue 351cc bore kit. This is in my opinion, exactly what you are asking for.
The kit is only $527.00 added to the cost of the bike if you can do the swap yourself. Amazing what an added 100cc does to the bike.
Oh, and maintenance is not like a race bike.
Yes, the KLX250S is on the list, for sure. Nice thing about it is the cheap cost of admission, and the relatively cheap Bill Blue upgrade if/when the power becomes an irritation. One owner did tell me the 351 kit seriously impacted his fuel economy. I know some will say "of course more power requires more fuel", but bikes like BMW G650 and WR250R get great mileage and make good power.

2 questions:

1) Does anyone use the Bill Blue 300 / 331 / 340 kits? Is it just a case of the cost is only slightly lower, and installation is the same, so why not go all the way to 351?

2) Is it sensible to do the 351 on it's own, without new carb, exhaust, etc.? Because $350 (including refund for returned 250 jug) is reasonable enough, but it gets expensive quickly with all the goodies.

I was hoping the Honda CRF250L would slot in between the KLX250S and WR250R in terms of cost, suspension, and power. Maybe it will, but the extra 25lbs is a deal breaker for me.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #227
zomby woof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Your KLX 250 needs to be jetted, if jetted properly it will start easily.
I've done all the usual mods, including the pipe, jet/needle/slide, airbox, and screen. It's not bad, but if it sits, and the weather is cold, it's the hardest to start of all my bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Yes, the KLX250S is on the list, for sure.
Where in southern Ontario are you? You can try mine if you want.
zomby woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #228
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
320 pounds is not that bad for a fuel injected water cooled electric start bike that is built strong.
Electric start, 20 pounds (at least), water cooling, 5 pounds at least, fuel injection adds a bit because the electrical system usually puts out more power.

I bet changing the exhaust/silencer will save 20 pounds.
My tu250 is 320 pounds and is a smaller bike, less suspension, smaller suspension bits, air cooling.....
You can't have a light bike and have it hold up to hard use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Add electric start:25 pounds: 285 pounds.
Add 50cc and water cooling, 20 pounds:305 pounds.
Add big thick forks and a big strong rear shock, 10 pounds: 315 pounds.

Remove a quart of oil, the rear sub frame, use expensive metals, skimp everywhere, charge 50% more money and you have a ktm?

Why we need electric start on anything under a 650 is beyond me.
With FI, anything is going to start with one kick every time.
are you fucking high?
Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #229
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,541
Don't tell him that the fuel injected EXC500 lost seven pounds from the carbed EXC530 it replaced.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #230
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomby woof View Post
Where in southern Ontario are you? You can try mine if you want.
That's very generous. PM sent.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #231
ADVwanaB
BOLD NEW AVATAR

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Yes, the KLX250S is on the list, for sure. Nice thing about it is the cheap cost of admission, and the relatively cheap Bill Blue upgrade if/when the power becomes an irritation. One owner did tell me the 351 kit seriously impacted his fuel economy. I know some will say "of course more power requires more fuel", but bikes like BMW G650 and WR250R get great mileage and make good power.

2 questions:

1) Does anyone use the Bill Blue 300 / 331 / 340 kits? Is it just a case of the cost is only slightly lower, and installation is the same, so why not go all the way to 351?

2) Is it sensible to do the 351 on it's own, without new carb, exhaust, etc.? Because $350 (including refund for returned 250 jug) is reasonable enough, but it gets expensive quickly with all the goodies.

I was hoping the Honda CRF250L would slot in between the KLX250S and WR250R in terms of cost, suspension, and power. Maybe it will, but the extra 25lbs is a deal breaker for me.
Lots of folks have done the 331 kit but the 351 is the latest and greatest so more folks arejumping on that bandwagon, myself included.
I did the big bore first with jetting, then went with a pipe, and then a carb.
The biggest bang for the buck is the big bore and yes you can do it all by itself with awesome results.
The kit is $527 not $350
ADVwanaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:29 PM   #232
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
I reckon my wr250r would smoke a big bore klx, it would be wise to try one first before going down this path.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #233
zomby woof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
I reckon you're dreaming.
zomby woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #234
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Really? I fail to see how the klx 351 is much different to a dr350 or a drz400s. The yamaha is a better bike than these and doesn't have to have its engine opened up for more horsepower. It's also more reliable, fuel efficient, better handling etc. By all means if you have a klx250 and want more hp then do it but I wouldn't buy a new one knowing that a big bore kit will be required, that just means you're buying the wrong bike imo.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:37 AM   #235
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4btrf5rx View Post
Everything out there right now...SUCKS! = too heavy/under powered, too high strung/maint. intensive, and most of all, too freaking expensive when they come close to hitting the mark.

Ahh, sarcasm. The lowest form of humor, but still funny when executed properly!

I saw the picture you posted up on one of the other threads. You ride a tractor! Of course, I wouldn't mind having one too, so I can't say anything.

I do know, and agree with what you are saying. I think that this will be a good bike for it's intended purpose. It is obviously not a race bike, don't fuss because it is not.
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #236
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Lots of folks have done the 331 kit but the 351 is the latest and greatest so more folks arejumping on that bandwagon, myself included.
I did the big bore first with jetting, then went with a pipe, and then a carb.
The biggest bang for the buck is the big bore and yes you can do it all by itself with awesome results.
The kit is $527 not $350
Thanks for the feedback. You're right, I misread this "All cylinders have a $175.00 core charge returnable when cylinder is received." I see now that $527 is after the refund of core charge. http://www.bandbcyclerestoration.com/
Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #237
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Really? I fail to see how the klx 351 is much different to a dr350 or a drz400s. The yamaha is a better bike than these and doesn't have to have its engine opened up for more horsepower. It's also more reliable, fuel efficient, better handling etc. By all means if you have a klx250 and want more hp then do it but I wouldn't buy a new one knowing that a big bore kit will be required, that just means you're buying the wrong bike imo.
I had a DR350, it was OK, but I don't want a 13+ year old bike. DR-Z is top-heavy, tall, and has a transmission that doesn't lend itself to highway. Both are good bikes, and reliable.

I don't think it is a given that the WRR is more reliable, or better handling. And its power requires more RPMs. From what I have read, the KLX 250, and especially the 300-351 Bill Blue bikes, have the torque build much lower down, which is better for off-road (especially with my limited skills).

The Yamaha WR250R is much more expensive than a KLX. In Canada, a new one is ~$2k more than a new KLX, and used WRRs are scarce as hen's teeth. A nice, used, low-mileage 2009 or 2010 KLX can be had for 1/2 the price of a new WRR before fees and taxes, which makes the new one even more $.

This is the sort of high-on-crack prices some folks in Ontario ask for WRRs:
http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ366734149
Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #238
dmaxmike
former quadtard.

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Don't tell him that the fuel injected EXC500 lost seven pounds from the carbed EXC530 it replaced.
Don’t come in here with all these facts to cloud up the hearsay!
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 AM   #239
Tiago
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Well, being on the market for a 250cc DS, this is a fairly interesting option. Since the KLX is equipped with FI in Portugal, I'm assuming a big bore kit is out of the picture (not that I'd go that route again), and spec by spec, the extra 9 kg and 3 cm lesser clearance are the most significant disadvantages I see.

I'd like to know how good the suspension on that thing is (some roads near me look like the Moon's surface), and I'm especially interested in the mileage it gets.

I'd like a WR, but the price tag is absurdly high - €7000, plated. A bit too much for commuting and the occasional offroad/goat path-like road excursion
Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #240
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post

It might have lost 14 with a FCR!
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote