Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 02:46 PM   #751
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post

He then went on to say if this keeps up then a $500 market adjustment may be added. Really? lol
simple supply and demand.
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #752
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by koh kood View Post
I've had CRF 250 L for a month now. Nice all round motorcycle for everything. Fuel injection is spot on and the suspension and power is good enough for me and what I do. It's sold at a great price and is good quality IMHO. It will be great when it gets to the US and Europe then maybe IMS or Acerbris will market a big tank for it. Too small right now. I'm 75 kilo and 1.73 metres tall, Fits me perfect. Even the seat is acceptable.
Have you tried it out on the freeway, to see a true world top speed?

congrats, its a great looking bike.
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #753
koh kood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Have you tried it out on the freeway, to see a true world top speed?

congrats, its a great looking bike.
I haven't had it wound wide open but it does cruise good at 120 kph indicated. The suspension soaks up the numerous potholes in the highways around here great. Had a little accident and am laid up for awhile. No riding for a month at least.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #754
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
That one, I don't really get. I am not sure why Yamaha did not build a 400 or 450 version of the WRR, the cost should be low and the DRz sales figures are good. It costs roughly the same to build a 250 as a 450, so bigger displacement is usually more profitable.

FWIW the "Dual" segment in the US is only about 50,000 units. "Off road" are 150,000 - 200,000.

I know that the tooling and development costs for new bikes are really burdensome. Unless a bike is going to be a hit, they lose money. The XRL and KLR are cash cows. I am betting the CRF will be also.

I know this bike is not for me, but it will be GREAT for the industry. Lots of new people getting into or back into motorcycling. There will be a huge amount of aftermarket support also.

BP
Yamaha and now Honda are building a 1 size fits all global bike
and 250cc is the global big bike size. The US lives in a bubble of large engines...in most of the world a 125 is what most ride.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:00 AM   #755
gregitt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Riding Impression of the CRF Honda 250L:

I purchased this bike two weeks ago and have just completed 1500K's.

This is the first bike I have owned with dual purpose tires leaning towards off road travel. Back in the 60’s & 70’s riding on the street with knobby tires usually meant certain death, but it seems times and tires have changed for the best.

Having put 25,000 K’s on my 250 D-Tracker in a very short time, I have grown to love 250 Singles for Thai roads here in Northeast. During the rainy season, it was difficult to travel on the slippery/ muddy dirt roads, in fact, almost impossible going up and down steep muddy inclines. The D-Tracker tires and suspension were certainly suited for smooth road racing though and I love it for that!

I guess I could have gone with the KLX, but the Honda just came out and I wanted a different bike and I have enjoyed many Hondas. The bike looks nice to me and the engine sounds a bit more refined than the KLX. Of course it sounds much like a sewing machine....so probably soon I will have to purchase a louder slip on. The engine seemed very tight during the break in period so I took it easy....today, it felt more peppy.

The first thing I noticed that with the larger wheels and taller suspension it doesn’t take much of a lean to get the bike into a sharp curve. It took a little getting used to, but now it seems perfectly normal. I am very impressed how well the tires grip on pavement, in fact, the grip is much better on paved roads with gravel and dirt than the road tires and I notice very little difference on smooth paved roads... On dry sandy roads you can get the front tire to slide of course, but it does so without urgency...on wet ones I just slow down! Of course, on dirt paths the new Honda really shines over a road machine!

Recently, I went on slimey muddy inclines that were very slippery. I am not an experienced off road rider and make every mistake a novice can make, but at least I didn’t fall down like I did with the D-Tracker. When going up steep hills it seems to me second gear doesn’t have enough power as it should and I suspect this new Honda is restricted just like the D-Tracker was, although the Honda seems faster than the stock Kawasaki before the new CPU was installed. It has quite a bit of power and must to carry my 95+ Kilos around!

My back has been trashed for years and riding this bike is a dream come true over bumps. The bars are a little to low for me to stand up when traversing bad terrain, but I have a set of risers that should make that much easier. The D-Tracker suspension was killing me riding these bumps, holes and dips...but now...I am a happier guy.

Like Kawasaki, the speedometer is very optimistic. My GPS shows 74K’s at 80 and 83K’s at 90 and it gets progressively worse. I find the 6 speed transmission to be smooth and the engine has some torque and the midrange is punchy...I think it will get better in time and many options will be available very soon including more power options.

I guess for me, the bottom line is that I should have purchased a bike like this in Thailand a long time ago. Overall, the handling is superior on all types of roads, the suspension is smoother and I can go more places. Some of the most dynamic scenery here is away from the main highways and the “crazy's”.....you can go into the farmland and right up close and into the mountains as well. Do not let the knobby dual purpose type tires fool you......try them and be pleasantly surprised!

I do not think the Honda L is a professional off road bike by any means, but to us “Farangs” and “Thai’s” who want to enjoy all types of terrain, for a budget price, with a “BOOK,” with less expensive acessories and the ability to get parts in country.....one might consider this new Honda 250L.

I have read most of the forums including the criticisms and the ravings of which bikes are best. The bottom line is to me....what bike is the most fun for you? I have owned big bikes since I was a kid and also have a 650 Versys here in Thailand (which I like very much) for my long treks....I will say this... “ I have had the most fun on both these Single 250’s than at anytime over my 50 plus years riding motorcycles” and I think this type of machine is particularly suited for Thailand.....they will sell thousands of them! I have toured with these bikes and have seen many folks touring all of Thailand with them.....if you have any questions, I will try to answer them and I will know more soon.....

gregitt screwed with this post 08-12-2012 at 04:34 AM Reason: spacing too long
gregitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #756
G19Tony
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Nice report, thanks for posting. Welcome aboard.

Nothing's too cruel if it's funny enough.
G19Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #757
sunset_ryder
aka "toots"

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz View Post
My WRR/CRFL head-to-head points out the differences between the two motos that I can tell at this stage and some of these contributed to my decision to switch. In particular, I like the more-level seat on the CRFL. I really don't like the stink-bug look on modern crotch rockets and on the WRR.

Also, as my web site may suggest, I'm a Honda guy, through and through. I bought the WRR because there was no Honda alternative. Now that there is an alternative, even a less-capable looking one on paper, I am switching to Honda. I will find a way to make the CRFL just as good as, or better than, the WRR. You can put money on it.

WR250R vs CRF250L - head-to-head
http://rickramsey.net/WR250RvsCRF250L.htm

Honda CRF250L
http://rickramsey.net/CRF250L.htm
|
I would be interested in your Rē, if you decide to sell it!
Old 08-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #758
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplodee View Post
Will you be doing a lower seat too or just a grippier model?

T
A stock height seat at first. Would need to get my hands on one to see if there is enough meat in the seat to make a lower version and have enough foam thickness left over to make a comfortable seat with.

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #759
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Eek

i had a dream last night that i traded in mr xr600r for a crf250l
Old 08-13-2012, 05:49 AM   #760
Tiago
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Test ride impressions

Ok, took one out for a spin for 45 minutes this morning.Initially, I was a bit unimpressed with the sound and flimsyness, but coming from a hog, I attribute it to withdrawal syndrome.

I then proceeded to take it in some narrow and twisty urban roads, which it handled effortlessly, and then off to the freeway, followed by highway. Here I thought that it was way underpowered until I dropped to 5th and the whole bike came alive again. Getting to the 120 km/h speed limit takes no effort, and the bike is comfortable enough for a few short stints at that speed. It did make the crosswinds noticeable though.

Out of the highway and into the dirt, the suspension felt adequate, no kicks from the back and the front felt planted. It didn't like loose gravel that much, wallowing a bit, but not dangerously so, but the dealer had it shod with narrow, knobby tires.

I then proceeded to return it via twisty mountain roads and then it dawned on me - I was grinning like mad, flogging a bike with only 140 km on the odometer, which I rode almost telepathically. The bike felt light as a feather, precise handling, torquey all around, and if I would have been caught again by the local constabulary, I'd be taking the bus for the next few months...

When I returned to the dealer I told him to put a set of more road oriented 50-50 tires on it and enjoy the best of both worlds.

It didn't bite my hand like my old XR600 did, and had me grinning like mad in the twisties, with torque to spare everywhere except on 6th on the highway. Fueling was great too, as I'm heavy handed, with no misses, just an occasional wait for it to come up to my throttle when I "forgot" to downshift. This is a bike that rewards momentum conservation, but doesn't totally depend on it.

All in all, it was one of the best, most amusing bikes I've ridden. It's not a hardcore woods bike, but it's plenty good to go there, and it's insane fun in twisty, crappy asphalt roads.

Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:18 AM   #761
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
nice write up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago View Post
Ok, took one out for a spin for 45 minutes this morning.Initially, I was a bit unimpressed with the sound and flimsyness, but coming from a hog, I attribute it to withdrawal syndrome.

I then proceeded to take it in some narrow and twisty urban roads, which it handled effortlessly, and then off to the freeway, followed by highway. Here I thought that it was way underpowered until I dropped to 5th and the whole bike came alive again. Getting to the 120 km/h speed limit takes no effort, and the bike is comfortable enough for a few short stints at that speed. It did make the crosswinds noticeable though.

Out of the highway and into the dirt, the suspension felt adequate, no kicks from the back and the front felt planted. It didn't like loose gravel that much, wallowing a bit, but not dangerously so, but the dealer had it shod with narrow, knobby tires.

I then proceeded to return it via twisty mountain roads and then it dawned on me - I was grinning like mad, flogging a bike with only 140 km on the odometer, which I rode almost telepathically. The bike felt light as a feather, precise handling, torquey all around, and if I would have been caught again by the local constabulary, I'd be taking the bus for the next few months...

When I returned to the dealer I told him to put a set of more road oriented 50-50 tires on it and enjoy the best of both worlds.

It didn't bite my hand like my old XR600 did, and had me grinning like mad in the twisties, with torque to spare everywhere except on 6th on the highway. Fueling was great too, as I'm heavy handed, with no misses, just an occasional wait for it to come up to my throttle when I "forgot" to downshift. This is a bike that rewards momentum conservation, but doesn't totally depend on it.

All in all, it was one of the best, most amusing bikes I've ridden. It's not a hardcore woods bike, but it's plenty good to go there, and it's insane fun in twisty, crappy asphalt roads.

Thats how I felt when I switched to the WR250r from a XR650L, and this bike is $2k less... Not that I am going to sell it and buy this, but it's good that the bike is out there and on the market.
Oil changed @ 14300... filter next
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #762
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,482

NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #763
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post

That is a 250 or 450X

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #764
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,482
Still a good looking scoot!
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #765
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,943
Did you notice the modified front brake - large rotor and the brake line is mis-routed. They probably need the bigger brake for the stunt work.

Is Renner about to drop the Glock... I'll check it out at the movies this weekend.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote