Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 05:58 PM   #1366
roundtripping
Adventourist

Oddometer: 1,702
Pacific mountain time, huh? How many beers did you have with those tacos?

Your rack is lookin' mighty fine

My SPOT Tracker
roundtripping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:55 PM   #1367
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtripping View Post
Pacific mountain time, huh? How many beers did you have with those tacos?

Your rack is lookin' mighty fine
Thanks,
DOS or maybe a few more coronas and quatro tacos , We don't count on the weekends, made some salsa from the garden, went fishing this morning in the ManBoat but i catch and release so they were chicken tacos rivers only 4 blocks away
Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #1368
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Nice comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
size diff
It looks like you got the after market one. The one from Honda doesn't have the handles. Yours is nice but I prefer the smaller tubing. I'm not going to carry that much weight on it. Probably just my Moose Racing tail bag.
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #1369
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinsterner View Post
It looks like you got the after market one. The one from Honda doesn't have the handles. Yours is nice but I prefer the smaller tubing. I'm not going to carry that much weight on it. Probably just my Moose Racing tail bag.
I like the 1/2 tube racks too but wont work for the bigger bikes , might have to consider that for the little piggy
as time goes on we will do a lot for this bike , its gonna be fun
Old 09-30-2012, 12:47 AM   #1370
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED1 View Post
The engine as you know is straight out of the CBR250R, part of honda's new platform sharing, it weighs in at 34.5kg, not heavy considering your XR250 engine weighs 33.7kg and it only has a kick start, a CRF450X engine weighs 32.3kg but we know it is far more fragile, like the new 700 that has an engine that powers 3 new bikes, It is a true world bike being sold in just about every country at a price that just about suits everyone, the build quality as far as I can see is no better or worse than any other honda not built in japan, have you not seen honda bikes from spain or italy?
That's not too bad - can anyone confirm that weight?

So what's the possibility of putting that engine in a CRF250X? What would you end up with... a 280 lbs, fully fueled dual sport with amazing suspension (for a dual sport) getting 70 mpg and possibly lasting 70,000 miles!

If it worked, I'd be more than happy to pay $13,000 for both a X and L model (they are both street legal here) and put the engine, dash, lighting, from the X into the L and vice versa, make a chromoly copy of the subframe and then sell the L with the X engine for $3,500 (somebodies gotta want a "sleeper" L; an L with the X engine) and have that smooth, economical, reliable engine in a frame that kicks the WRR's butt.

It'd be like having a TE250 with an extra 15 lbs, 30% less hp, BUT maintenance intervals 5X farther apart and 10X the reliability!
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #1371
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Ricky, I've been thinking along the same lines. Make a frankenbike. Bike makers either want to sell us expensive lightweight race bikes with high-strung race engines and race engine maintenance schedules. Or they sell us heavy, cheap bikes with solid, reliable, durable, low-maintenance engines that get great gas mileage. The two extremes never seem to meet. Even if you want to spend the money, no one will make a lightweight dual sport with a mildly-tuned, non-race-bike-maintenance-schedule engine. (And yes, I'm looking directly at the KTM Freeride.)

I'm skeptical about the weight of the CRF250L engine though. The CRF230L is a whopping 50lb lighter than CRF250L. The CRF230L has a cheap steel frame, like the 250L, so what's the difference in weight? Has to be the engine, I think. The CBR250R is a heavy little pig too.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #1372
joec63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
The dry engine weight for the CRF250L is 34.5 kg (76.1 lbs). per the Service manual. Curious to see the engine weight of the WR250R for comparison.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #1373
mayner
Postal

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post

just for fun after i finish my tacos and corona iam gonna go into the shop and woop another one out , and powder coat it in silver so you can see the difference, btw i am selling the one i just got from Thailand cheap it has the handles on it
so check back in at 5:30pm for a side by side deal LOL
No disrespect meant, Jungleplant! lol... That's a nice fishing setup you got there, by the way. ;-)
mayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #1374
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
Ricky, I've been thinking along the same lines. Make a frankenbike. Bike makers either want to sell us expensive lightweight race bikes with high-strung race engines and race engine maintenance schedules. Or they sell us heavy, cheap bikes with solid, reliable, durable, low-maintenance engines that get great gas mileage. The two extremes never seem to meet. Even if you want to spend the money, no one will make a lightweight dual sport with a mildly-tuned, non-race-bike-maintenance-schedule engine. (And yes, I'm looking directly at the KTM Freeride.)
I just rode 700 KM up to Thailand to check out what I'm starting to think is the ultimate "hard core", street legal, 250 dual sport. A 2 stroke Honda CRM250 shoved in a CR250 frame. (Compared to the CR250 what they are calling the CRM250CR weighs about 25 lbs more ((245lbs wet)), is down 10 rwhp ((30 vs 40)), but can 50,000 KM before ring changes, has electrical power, is smoother, and has an auto 2 stroke oil mixer.)

The CRF250L in a CRF250X frame/suspensions in my mind would be an amazing "more civilized" street legal, 250 dual sport. Capable of riding around the world. Not only would it be so much more reliable than a CRFX, but they are already selling like hotcakes and so the dealer support/aftermarket would be huge for the engine and transmission.

I don't think the Freeride is going to be in that category of long distance, uber reliable dual sport. It sure should be easy to make a reliable 24 hp, 350 cc engine but the changes made to the 350cc to reduce power were more the result of ignition mapping than anything that would increase longevity.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 PM   #1375
TNC
Candyass Camper

Oddometer: 4,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
I just rode 700 KM up to Thailand to check out what I'm starting to think is the ultimate "hard core", street legal, 250 dual sport. A 2 stroke Honda CRM250 shoved in a CR250 frame. (Compared to the CR250 what they are calling the CRM250CR weighs about 25 lbs more ((245lbs wet)), is down 10 rwhp ((30 vs 40)), but can 50,000 KM before ring changes, has electrical power, is smoother, and has an auto 2 stroke oil mixer.)

The CRF250L in a CRF250X frame/suspensions in my mind would be an amazing "more civilized" street legal, 250 dual sport. Capable of riding around the world. Not only would it be so much more reliable than a CRFX, but they are already selling like hotcakes and so the dealer support/aftermarket would be huge for the engine and transmission.

I don't think the Freeride is going to be in that category of long distance, uber reliable dual sport. It sure should be easy to make a reliable 24 hp, 350 cc engine but the changes made to the 350cc to reduce power were more the result of ignition mapping than anything that would increase longevity.
I disagree a bit with you, Ricky, on the Freeride longevity/durability issue. Though we won't have an absolute answer until the bike is available and gets some time on it, I think KTM took a very different approach with the 350 engine. The DOHC design is a departure, along with the power characteristics of the engine. Even the full race models have an amazing durability/reliability when they're used by trail riders for just trail riding. The Freeride engine is very low stress, and I don't see any way that won't yield a noticeable increase in service needs and durability.
TNC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:38 PM   #1376
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Freeride might be lacking in the subframe dept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #1377
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Freeride might be lacking in the subframe dept.
Completely. It's non-existant.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #1378
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by joec63 View Post
The dry engine weight for the CRF250L is 34.5 kg (76.1 lbs). per the Service manual. Curious to see the engine weight of the WR250R for comparison.
Holy crap...the engine in my XR400R...enlarged to 440 supposedly weighs 80 pounds
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 PM   #1379
Diravi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Holy crap...the engine in my XR400R...enlarged to 440 supposedly weighs 80 pounds
I've test ridden the CRF250L last Saturday, went to dealer on my XR400 (426cc, pumper carb). The CRF rides like a nice bike: of course there was no question power wise, but the stock XR seat is a comfy cushion compared to the hard seat of the CRF, the XR feels (and is) lighter, trannys just as good. I get 60 MPG around the city with the XR, 42-50 on trails and tight singletrack.

But you can get it new, it has a button, longer oil change interval.

Diravi screwed with this post 09-30-2012 at 09:39 PM
Diravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 PM   #1380
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
I disagree a bit with you, Ricky, on the Freeride longevity/durability issue. Though we won't have an absolute answer until the bike is available and gets some time on it, I think KTM took a very different approach with the 350 engine. The DOHC design is a departure, along with the power characteristics of the engine. Even the full race models have an amazing durability/reliability when they're used by trail riders for just trail riding. The Freeride engine is very low stress, and I don't see any way that won't yield a noticeable increase in service needs and durability.

Well I think I'd be a good person to volunteer to put some time on it as I do average 30K + a year and do ALL types of terrain imagineable!

Extrapolating a bit from what I've researched on this engine I'm betting the CRFL will easily do 50K + and maybe will even see one hit 100K. I'm doubting the freeride will come remotely close. I've read info from the KTM techs showing they don't even expect them to go much more than 500 hours. (The context was on the battery version they thought it might last 500 hours and were being criticized for that short life. Their response was to the effect that was as much or more than performance bikes typically do and they even implied the rest of the parts weren't built to outlast that anyways.) BUT if the Freeride was in this category I'd sure be all over it!
This bike (CRFL) is mostly made for us over here in Asia where most people commute everyday and play most evenings and weekends on their bikes. For the average American, add all the miles you put on your car, truck and bike together and that's what this has to stand up to.

I think I mentioned it earlier, but my "research" included quizzing several large rental companies in Thailand regarding the reliability of the CBR250. Though its still early, those are the guys seeing the most mileage accumulating the fastest. I looked at about 20; 1 had topped 30K KM, a couple over 20K (as they were still newer even there) but no major problem in any of them. At that # of KM if they had been KTM 690sk you probably would have seen 13-15 with major problems. (And 5 guys insisting it was just the internet!)