Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2012, 09:48 PM   #1381
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
Holy crap...the engine in my XR400R...enlarged to 440 supposedly weighs 80 pounds

I don't even know are you guys thinking this is good or bad?

I was just noticing my 15hp outboard weighs 86lbs. Important to me cuz I carry it all the time - often deep, nasty mud at the waters edge. I was thinking you should be able to either get more hp out of a 86lb 2 stroke or less weight out of a 15hp 2 stroke but that's the boat world...
rickypanecatyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #1382
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diravi View Post
I've test ridden the CRF250L last Saturday, went to dealer on my XR400 (426cc, pumper carb). The CRF rides like a nice bike: of course there was no question power wise, but the stock XR seat is a comfy cushion compared to the hard seat of the CRF, the XR feels (and is) lighter, trannys just as good. I get 60 MPG around the city with the XR, 42-50 on trails and tight singletrack.

But you can get it new, it has a button, longer oil change interval.
?? stock XR seat...comfy? Your XR can't be like mine! I've learned to "tolerate" my XR's seat.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #1383
Diravi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Quote:
?? stock XR seat...comfy? Your XR can't be like mine! I've learned to "tolerate" my XR's seat.
Comfy? No. Compared to the CRFL? Yes. At least by the "pushing with fingers technique" and having 15 minutes on the CRFL, longer ride might prove otherwise of course.
Diravi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #1384
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diravi View Post
Comfy? No. Compared to the CRFL? Yes. At least by the "pushing with fingers technique" and having 15 minutes on the CRFL, longer ride might prove otherwise of course.
One more place for the "cottage industries" to step in and sell us "farkles" for the CRFL.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:45 PM   #1385
mayner
Postal

Oddometer: 146
Ricochet Recall

Mr Gibbs is stepping up to the plate. Good on Ricochet offering to ship upgraded bashplates out, no questions asked. They are going to be a bit roomier on the left and also address the oil filter issue. We wont have to remove the plate to access the filter. I think this is a very good thing. ;-)
mayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #1386
greygeezer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
For any one interested...Ron Connors over on the HUBB forum is on his way from the USA to Peru on a crfl !!
greygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #1387
Llamaha
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 772
I suspect at $4500 and 100mpg sporting a low compression engine that there will be a lot more people doing this soon too.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 PM   #1388
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygeezer View Post
For any one interested...Ron Connors over on the HUBB forum is on his way from the USA to Peru on a crfl !!

That'd be some good marketing! FWIW many of the ride reports here generate 10X the hits as the top selling motocycle magazine's monthly subscriptions.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #1389
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by greygeezer View Post
I tried searching for that thread, but couldn't find it. Can you provide a link to the thread, please.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #1390
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,684
I honed my search skills, and found the thread, GG.

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...rf-250-l-66517

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 AM   #1391
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl View Post
This bike (CRFL) is mostly made for us over here in Asia where most people commute everyday and play most evenings and weekends on their bikes. For the average American, add all the miles you put on your car, truck and bike together and that's what this has to stand up to.
I don't disagree that the CRFL was made to last, but I think that comparison is a bit over the top. Few bikes, of any size, could match the reliability of an average car used in the US for what you describe, due to the distances, speed and weather involved with typical US usage. There would be pure rebellion if people were told to expect their new car to need to be rebuilt or replaced in less than 2 years. But I do understand your point, and given the choice, I'll gladly give up some performance for a lot of reliability and ease of maintenance. It's far easier to start with a reliable bike and make it perform better than it is to start with a high-performance bike and make it more reliable. You can get a little insight into the likely long-term reliability of any vehicle by looking at the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. If you read through the KTM 350 manual (available on KTM's web site), you may still be surprised.

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:42 PM   #1392
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
I don't disagree that the CRFL was made to last, but I think that comparison is a bit over the top. Few bikes, of any size, could match the reliability of an average car used in the US for what you describe, due to the distances, speed and weather involved with typical US usage. There would be pure rebellion if people were told to expect their new car to need to be rebuilt or replaced in less than 2 years. But I do understand your point, and given the choice, I'll gladly give up some performance for a lot of reliability and ease of maintenance. It's far easier to start with a reliable bike and make it perform better than it is to start with a high-performance bike and make it more reliable. You can get a little insight into the likely long-term reliability of any vehicle by looking at the manufacturer's maintenance schedule. If you read through the KTM 350 manual (available on KTM's web site), you may still be surprised.
To take this one step further, imagine if cars had tires as crappy as we get on bikes. Tread shot in 2 or 3000 miles, and $50 to $100 each....I think consumers would burn Goodyear, Goodrich, and Michelin to the ground if they sold us equally lousy tires!
Old 10-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #1393
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

+
I didn't mean to say Asian bikes last as long as American cars, but many Asian riders put as many miles on a year as an American driver. In that case, even what is considered an "uber reliable" bike by Western standards has to be replaced in 3 years or so where a Toyota might go 10 @ 30K a year.

I hear you on the tires. For a fair comparison I compare ours to the super deep tread, soft mud tires which may only get 20,000 but hey, that's 10X what good bike tires get.

I believe the main issue with reliability is companies are not trying. Sure there is a tension between reliability, hp, economy and money but when companies are forced to meet a certain mpg level, a certain reliability level but then are trying all out to get as much performance as possible within those parameters it's amazing what they come up and 15 years later you see cars with as much hp, getting 3X the mpg...
Old 10-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #1394
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
To take this one step further, imagine if cars had tires as crappy as we get on bikes. Tread shot in 2 or 3000 miles, and $50 to $100 each....I think consumers would burn Goodyear, Goodrich, and Michelin to the ground if they sold us equally lousy tires!
Lousy tires huh? We're lucky to get 1000-1500 miles out of a rear non-DOT knobby, but if you want longer-lasting tires, there are plenty out there to choose from. On the four-wheeled vehicle side of things, how long do you think an aggressive offroad tire like a red-label BGF Krawler would last if you 'dual-sported' them? The purpose-built tires that are available for all kinds of different riding are flat-out-fuh-king amazing. No idea how to make you happy.
jesusgatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #1395
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Folks ever try MEFO tires (Germany)?.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote