User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2014, 10:52 PM   #1
dualscotty OP
premix

Oddometer: 11
klr 650

Hi there.new to site.time to dump the old kdx and move up .I'm thinking klr or dr650 .any advice?or even KTM? Thank you
dualscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,418
well covered subject. first though.... what do you want to do? rip the woods? ride round the world? cruise 2 up? how much pavement/dirt? carrying a load? need superslab speed? good mechanic skills? how much money do you have?
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:33 AM   #3
dualscotty OP
premix

Thanks for the reply.currently short overnight backpack style trips on the old kdxer.would like to expand riding range.would like next bike to be able to do theTAT.as well.plus back woods hometown ripping around.would love a big BMW but a little to much $ for me right now.I have however seen the BMW 650 gl on classified ads for around 3500 ish (used of course).a lot of options and opinions out there.KTM 300,Dr 650,drz 400,klr 650....I'm leaning towards klr but would love input...not buying one tomorrow going to do research first...4k is good number for me right now..
Old 10-10-2014, 04:26 AM   #4
ShortySC
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Klr

I bought a left over 2012 in 2013. Got it for $5300 OTD.

What I like.
-New bike, no worries about what someone else might have done to it. I spent the money up front for new and I'm done except for normal maint.
-Can go anywhere without having to worry about it breaking down or running out of gas.
-I spend my time riding it, not working on it. It's very easy to get to all the normal maint. stuff.
-You can farkle it, but you don't need to. Mine is bone stock except for knobbies. It still goes anywhere.
-It is great for back roads, fire roads and jeep trails (day rides).

What I don't like.
-It's terrible on the interstate (It's too light).
-It's terrible in the woods (It's too heavy).

Bottom line.
-I would buy so long as you are good with it's limitations.
-Great bike if you like to ride, not tinker.
-Can't beat the price on leftovers.
-You still need a dirt bike for woods or big bike for long distance (Many do it, but it ain't comfortable).
ShortySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:58 AM   #5
dualscotty OP
premix

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #6
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualscotty View Post
Hi there.new to site.time to dump the old kdx and move up .I'm thinking klr or dr650 .any advice?or even KTM? Thank you
Take a sorted DR for a test-ride. Hell, test-ride anything before you buy. Hell, try all of them before you buy. A lot of it is simply a matter of preference. I much prefer a DR over a KLR for most of my riding. The only things the KLR seems to be better at is for large people and/or 2up. Otherwise, the DR seems to be a better base bike to build from, IMO. Talk to some of the people local to you in the Regionals section on this site.

Check out www.procycle.us. Also look around online for used parts and accessories.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:25 AM   #7
dualscotty OP
premix

Looking at the drs pretty close .what are you takes on the Dr 350?
Old 10-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,121
Just another nugget of info to add but my KLR has almost 30k on the odo and I've never had any major mechanical issues, aside from my speedometer hub blowing up on me this past weekend. Couple hundred bucks for a new digital speedo and the accessories is all it took to fix that issue, and onward it goes.

The KLR, IMO, is the ultimate dual sport. It sucks at offroad, and its not that great of an onroad bike, but it does both exceedingly well, and there is a HUGE aftermarket support for the bike. It's basically got a cult following. Build it up, strip it down, it's one great base model to work with.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
The DR 350 is a very dependable, bulletproof bike that makes an excellent trail bike. It weighs significantly less than the other 2. It has a 6 speed trans which helps on pavement but only makes 30hp. 65mph was my choice of top speed, but it will go faster. There is still a lot aftermarket around. The post 1998 dual sport models have better suspension.

All this class has pros and cons. My limited experience is the KLR is a big bike compared to the Dr and has the weight to prove it. There is a huge aftermarket for both, if you don't like what you got.

In the next hour I will be riding a Dr790cc. That should be fun.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
dualscotty OP
premix

Thanks for the input.how is it on the hot top.short distances of course.high revs?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:52 PM   #11
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualscotty View Post
Thanks for the input.how is it on the hot top.short distances of course.high revs?
Which bike?

A stock DR650 can run 80MPH+ all day without burning oil or vibing too much. Throw on a windscreen if you don't like the breeze in your face. I'm fine with just the stock headlight shroud and a FF helmet. I've rolled 1000+ miles in a day, several times, on a DR. A used 5gal+ tank, a comfy Seat Concepts kit, and a throttle-lock make this pretty much a non-issue. The same bike rides fine in sandy and muddy singletrack too. Just install a front DOT knob and a rear semi-knob.
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some herders, search/rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our blazing dogpark, our frigid swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home for us. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #12
dualscotty OP
premix

Thanks kommando.how about the Dr 350 on the hot top..
Old 10-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
dualscotty OP
premix

Just throwing this out there....how about klx 250?
Old 10-10-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
Soldier311
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
The DR 350 is a very dependable, bulletproof bike that makes an excellent trail bike. It weighs significantly less than the other 2. It has a 6 speed trans which helps on pavement but only makes 30hp. 65mph was my choice of top speed, but it will go faster. There is still a lot aftermarket around. The post 1998 dual sport models have better suspension.

All this class has pros and cons. My limited experience is the KLR is a big bike compared to the Dr and has the weight to prove it. There is a huge aftermarket for both, if you don't like what you got.

In the next hour I will be riding a Dr790cc. That should be fun.
Another +1 for the DR350 if you're not planning on mega highway miles day in and day out. I love mine and would not want anything heavier if going really offroad.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #15
LivingLifeWell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
KLR is my ride of choice. I've had Wee and V-Strom, KLR and GS Adv. The Stroms are nice bikes, especially on the road, but not my cup of tea offroad. The KLR is good, not great, on or off road. The GS is an amazing bike, for any kind of riding you can imagine - but I never enjoyed it off road because it was so darned expensive.

When I go off road I assume I'm going to fall, maybe that's because I always do. Anyway, I've always been pleased with my KLR and take it confidently anywhere. If I drop it, oh well, it's tough, cheap and can take what ever you throw at it.

Think about it $5k for a bullet proof bike is an easy choice.
LivingLifeWell is offline   Reply With Quote