User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #121
rikki tikki tavi
mongoose is gone

Oddometer: 256
Hey Karl...glad the trip worked out!

Did you yank the chin curtain out before the ride, and if so, how was the noise level?

My biggest gripe with this lid is it's a fog machine inside even at higher temps. I figure the chin curtain needs to go but wanted to hear from someone that made that move on how it affects noise.

And was the helmet OK when the weather got warm down there; enough ventilation?

(I guess I could just wait a few weeks and find out myself, duh)
Old 03-19-2012, 03:42 PM   #122
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
I just got from a 2600 trip. I did 19 hours / 1240 miles on the first day. Prior to the trip I had only worn the helmet for about 2 weeks of 15 minute commutes. I did notice that the cheek pads were tight and wondered how it would feel on a long trip.

Well on day 1 around 8 hours in I was getting a lot of discomfort along my jaw. I was having to raise the chin bar from time to time to relieve the pressure a bit. But around 12 hours in I noticed the discomfort had stopped. The return trip was in two 600 miles/9 hour segments and I had zero discomfort. So the cheek pads really do break in.

I loved the helmet on the trip. The sun visor is great (and the key reason why I bought the helmet.) I really liked having a flip up, but it's not like being a flip up is unique to this helmet. I would have reaped those benefits from any modular.

I found the noise level to very acceptable. I rode a couple of segments with no ear protection and was fine. I went from 31 to 89 degrees and was comfortable across the entire range.
Good report.
Thanks.

My last helmet I actually purchased an extra set of cheek pads, one size smaller. This provided a perfect fit for me. I'm figuring it'll be the same for this lid.
My research has led me to this over the Schuberth C3.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM   #123
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,877
It really is a fog machine. The pin lock insert took care of the fog, but my fucking eye glasses fog up. So I still have to flip the visor up at stops.

I did not take the curtain out. Unlike my old Shoei it doesn't just pull out. I did see somewhere in the manual some shit about a pin or a post. I didn't feel like fucking with it.

I found the ventilation just fine. But I would flip up the visor or even the whole chin bar at stops. It gets toasty in there.

You won't need to wait long to test it's warm weather capabilities. It's pushing 80 in Boston this week.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #124
Dave_H
n00b

Oddometer: 3
The chin curtain is vey easy to remove. There's some plastic trim along the botom of the chinbar which has the pins attached to it, if you lift the ends of that up it releases the chin curtain which just slides out.

Very happy with my Neotec so far except for the tightness of the cheek pads. I'll see if they loosen up but may have to buy some thinner ones when they are available.
Dave_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #125
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_H View Post
The chin curtain is vey easy to remove. There's some plastic trim along the botom of the chinbar which has the pins attached to it, if you lift the ends of that up it releases the chin curtain which just slides out.

Very happy with my Neotec so far except for the tightness of the cheek pads. I'll see if they loosen up but may have to buy some thinner ones when they are available.
How long have you been wearing it? It took my cheekpads about 1000 miles to loosen up.

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #126
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,545
I was getting ready to buy one....still going. I hear people say that the top vent lets air through even when closed. Anyone else experience this?
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #127
Dave_H
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I only bought it last Friday and so far I've done about 300 miles in it.

I'm not going to rush into buying new pads, I'll only get them if it hasn't loosened up after a couple of months.
Dave_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #128
costas68gr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I bought a neotec today I noticed the sign on the weight of 1650grms .At webbike review presents with weight 1810grms the EUROPEAN helmets are lighter!!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #129
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,583
I did about 150 miles with my new Neo today. Impressions in no particular order:
* Vents pretty well with the crown vent all the way open. Too warm to notice any leak with it closed.
* Can't get the visor to latch one handed. Have to stabilize the chin bar, then push down from the top (in the very middle) with the other hand to get it to latch.
* Quiet enough. Don't notice an appreciable difference between it and the Multitec that it replaces.
* SERIOUS jaw pain. Noticed it after about the first hour. Subsided after a stop but came back. Would not want to start out on a trip with this helmet brand new. Kind of a shame. No such problem when the Multi was new.
* Would like the sun visor to be darker.
* I'm used to riding with a tinted shield 100% (except when raining or at night). This helmet gets much warmer in the face area without the tinted shield.
* Chin curtain is dead easy to remove.
* Glasses fit fine, both Rx and sunglasses.
* The optics of both shields are amazingly good. if it weren't that you can't feel the wind, you wouldn't know the shield was there. Well, until you collect bug butts.

's all I got right now. Troubled about the jaw pain--will contact Shoei for a fix/replacement.

dmac57 screwed with this post 03-29-2012 at 09:10 PM
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #130
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
There is a high-level comparison of flip-ups in this months Rider magazine.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 PM   #131
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer: 249
Sold the C3 last week (just couldn't mold my melon after trying over and over) and the Neotec arrived today. I have a Multitec I wore a few years and keep for a backup. I had the good fortune of trying on various sizes of the Neotec at the NE Florida Winter Rally and felt more comfortable in a XL. However, my Multitec is a large and after numerous measurements identifying my melon as large, I purchased a large. I echo previous comments, the cheek pads are tight, jaw biting tight. A hot spot at the top, same spot as the Multitec, I'll depress later once I'm sure I'm not going a size larger.
PanhandleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #132
mercury01
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Beem
I have been wearing the Multitec for the last two years. Wanted the Neotec, bad. Have a noggin which is a perfect Shoei Medium. A couple of weeks ago I bought a C3 from an inmate (great price, SRC System, cosmetic damage - couple of scratches). Best helmet I have ever worn!
mercury01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:28 PM   #133
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Just bought a Neotec a couple of weeks ago. First, I was surprised a Shoei would fit my "Arai" head, but it does. Cheek pads were a bit tight, but now I don't even notice them

The ability to flip up and talk to people, take pictures, smile, and drink blows away any weight or noise issue, IMHO. Especially on long tours to places where you are experiencing different cultures. Like Texas.

Next, a Contour ball mount fitted to the top of the Neotec-waiting for Amazon to deliver this...Pic or two when I have it all together.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 AM   #134
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_H View Post
I only bought it last Friday and so far I've done about 300 miles in it.

I'm not going to rush into buying new pads, I'll only get them if it hasn't loosened up after a couple of months.
Ditto.. I only have 100 miles on my new lemon yellow Neo.. and the cheek pads don't seem to be too much .. I thought I would have to get thinner ones.. but hopefully not.. next I want to try to mount my Cardo headset on it... ventilation seems good & I have the pinlock installed and & in this cool (cold?) weather it's nice to have that..
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #135
Tripletrouble
Farkle addict

Oddometer: 71
I have a Multi Tech, the Neo Tech and a DS Sonara.
The Multi was a great lid but the chinbar was a little too close for comfort.
When the Neo came out I jumped at it. It had the usual fault of not shutting the top vent off completely which gave you a wet head in the rain - not ideal.
Shoei quickly relesed a mod for this that your dealer will fit free if you complain.
The lid is a good fit, 2k mile Euro tour comfortable but I have one major complaint.
The finish of the lid externally.
I have never had a lid with such a soft paint finish. It scratches and marks if you so much as look at it.
My Multi is in better shape and that's 5 years old. It seems to me that Shoei's finish has taken a dive for the worst with this helmet.
Tripletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote