User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
jmandrze OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Water Pump Rebuild Kits

The snow is coming so I am attempting to get all of the needed pieces together so I can perform winter maintenance/up grades. For the water pump seal rebuild kits I have seen two options.

1- http://www.ktmtwins.com/ktm-950-990-...mp-rebuild-kit
This was my first choice, as I was also going to be ordering a Scotts oil filter, 16/45 combo with a new chain and I have ordered from them before and was very happy with the service.

2- http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/CJ...KIT-WPS-CK.htm
After reading up on HOW I found the above. A 20k life span is twice the recommended, so less maintenance=more fun time is what flashes through my mind. When I looked around the site and saw a $200 facet fuel pump kit, it got me wondering. I did the facet pump with filter for about $80 bucks.

What I would like to hear is what is everyone’s experience with using a ready to use water pump kit and has anyone tried the CJ kit and what were the results. For your time I added a link below to pictures from my 2200 mile UP trip I did in October. Thanks

Jason

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68630509@N03/
jmandrze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,057
I put CJ's kit in 1700 miles ago and haven't had any problems. I read somewhere that his waterpump shafts are hardened to resist the casting sand wear which is theorized to be the cause of the seal failures.

CJ's an adv'er and his products are very high quality parts, though a bit spendy (I'd rather have quality over price though).

I vote for CJ's kit, but that's just me.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,709
It seems KTM updated their shaft surfacing as well.

I would suggest you do not get panicing over this. Mine lasted 75k kms and was the first edition (bike 12/2003). It seems there are upgrades now for the waterpump cover, shaft and seal.
60035054144 axle with seal $44.55
6003505210023 water pump cover $58.95
the rest are the same (ball bearings, Inside Clutch Cover Gasket).
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
I would suggest you do not get panicing over this. Mine lasted 75k kms and was the first edition (bike 12/2003). It seems there are upgrades now for the waterpump cover, shaft and seal.
60035054144 axle with seal $44.55
6003505210023 water pump cover $58.95
the rest are the same (ball bearings, Inside Clutch Cover Gasket).
What was the issue with the cover?.I have not heard this before.. Just got a new to me 06 950s with 22k miles and starting to hit the must do list.
water pump is among the first things in my plan..
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
killurtv
free range moron

Oddometer: 640
+ 1 for CJ's kit, he knows what he is doing when it comes to these bikes.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #6
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
+2 cj

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:41 AM   #7
jmandrze OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
How many miles do you have on your CJ rebuild kits?

Jason
jmandrze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #8
mdfehrmann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
I have been to CJ's shop (it's top notch) and asked him a month ago about his water pump kit since mine was getting way up there in milage. He tested several KTM water pump shafts and the measured hardness was all over the board, meaning they had quality issues in manufacturing or the steel being used and you might get a good one, or a really bad one if you ordered the ktm part.

All of cj's shafts are made to the same spec every time and hard coated for even better ware resistance over the best stock shaft you might be lucky enough to get. I wonder how many miles he currently has on his bike with one of these shafts installed. CJ? You out there?

My decision was the CJ kit and I did not even think about price shopping the parts after hearing his testing results.

2006 KTM 950 ADV S - 2004 Sherco 2.9
http://www.mdfeditions.com/
http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/
mdfehrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,950
Here is where I started this season.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=160

My opinion:

I guess if I was making 10,000 mediocre shafts at one time my prices would be less. Lower volume and higher quality is not always "Cheap", but I offer the best quality I can. 3yr/ 30,000 mile warranty currently on all CJD WP shafts.

The basic KTM shaft and seal is $45, Might last you 5,000 miles, might last you 50,000. Who knows? I stopped using KTM shafts in all my engines after replacing so many failed KTM shafts. Testing all the shafts I was replacing on customers bikes showed inconsistencies in hardness. Some say newer KTM versions are better. I've not seen the proof to take that chance. I travel as much as I can to TEST products, but also b/c I enjoy this bike so much. I can't afford to brake down on a trip. Whether I make them or not, when I know better products are out there, I'd rather fix it once in a shop than 2x out in the field b/c it was cheaper.
I have a Basic kits for $65 and I'll stand behind my product if it does give you issues. My complete KIT has everything you need for a complete overhaul. It's there, just in case, getting you back on your bike sooner. Some other kits offered have left out some pieces, causing customers to wait another week to get them.

Want to upgrade your 950 waterpump to the 990 version housing and shaft kit. I have the pump covers and complete kits in stock. Although I'll tell you honestly... I don't see the reason for spending the extra $55 for the pump housing in our testing. But we have it.

This year I've got about 25,000 miles on the shaft installed this spring. Riding other bikes have slowed this down a little. Last weekend I took the bike on a 2.6 mile, wooded, single track loop, club harescramble race for 2 hrs. It was so tight... or I was so slow that after 1.5 hrs my 950 was 7 bars flashing, calling it quits w/ heat, I pulled it into the pits to hop on the 950 SE for more product testing. I didn't loose any coolant from the HOT 950 and no water in the oil afterwards from weep-age past the seal.

I'll continue to use the products I make, and build parts stronger when they don't meet my standards. It's time consuming, and not cheap, so the kind words and support is much appreciated by all. Thank you.

And when the unthinkable happens. You crack the case putting bearings back in.... I have cases in stock to get you going again. Call KTM, It will be 3-4 weeks from Austria....
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:42 AM   #10
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,709
That is also possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post

Want to upgrade your 950 waterpump to the 990 version housing and shaft kit. I have the pump covers and complete kits in stock. Although I'll tell you honestly... I don't see the reason for spending the extra $55 for the pump housing in our testing.
Could be better hydrodynamic design

Cheers
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:13 AM   #11
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer View Post
Here is where I started this season.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=160

My opinion:

I guess if I was making 10,000 mediocre shafts at one time my prices would be less. Lower volume and higher quality is not always "Cheap", but I offer the best quality I can. 3yr/ 30,000 mile warranty currently on all CJD WP shafts.

The basic KTM shaft and seal is $45, Might last you 5,000 miles, might last you 50,000. Who knows? I stopped using KTM shafts in all my engines after replacing so many failed KTM shafts. Testing all the shafts I was replacing on customers bikes showed inconsistencies in hardness. Some say newer KTM versions are better. I've not seen the proof to take that chance. I travel as much as I can to TEST products, but also b/c I enjoy this bike so much. I can't afford to brake down on a trip. Whether I make them or not, when I know better products are out there, I'd rather fix it once in a shop than 2x out in the field b/c it was cheaper.
I have a Basic kits for $65 and I'll stand behind my product if it does give you issues. My complete KIT has everything you need for a complete overhaul. It's there, just in case, getting you back on your bike sooner. Some other kits offered have left out some pieces, causing customers to wait another week to get them.

Want to upgrade your 950 waterpump to the 990 version housing and shaft kit. I have the pump covers and complete kits in stock. Although I'll tell you honestly... I don't see the reason for spending the extra $55 for the pump housing in our testing. But we have it.

This year I've got about 25,000 miles on the shaft installed this spring. Riding other bikes have slowed this down a little. Last weekend I took the bike on a 2.6 mile, wooded, single track loop, club harescramble race for 2 hrs. It was so tight... or I was so slow that after 1.5 hrs my 950 was 7 bars flashing, calling it quits w/ heat, I pulled it into the pits to hop on the 950 SE for more product testing. I didn't loose any coolant from the HOT 950 and no water in the oil afterwards from weep-age past the seal.

I'll continue to use the products I make, and build parts stronger when they don't meet my standards. It's time consuming, and not cheap, so the kind words and support is much appreciated by all. Thank you.

And when the unthinkable happens. You crack the case putting bearings back in.... I have cases in stock to get you going again. Call KTM, It will be 3-4 weeks from Austria....
Great write up and products. Thanks CJ from an appreciative customer.

So whens the SE 2WD on offer?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Here's my water pump shaft and seal off a 2007 950SM at 14,000ish miles. The seal looks identical to the newer Teflon unit I put in as replacement. This was just R&R, wasn't leaking, but you can see the grooving in the shaft.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #13
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
Overview of WP replacement process
We would have gone with the CJ shaft if we'd known about it, his stuff is top notch

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
ElJorgio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Overview of WP replacement process
We would have gone with the CJ shaft if we'd known about it, his stuff is top notch

Excellent video, love the comment about the crash bars being a deterrent to maintenance.
I have CJ's pump rebuilt kit, so far so good! I have bought all kinds of stuff from CJ and I am happy with all of it.