User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
metal OP
President of FRONJ

Oddometer: 205
Around the World on a 50cc Honda Ruckus scooter

Leaving today on the first leg of a 7 year trip around the world on a Honda Ruckus scooter. The idea for this trip has been floating around my head for several years, and I'm finally starting. On this first leg I will be riding my scooter with my bicycle in tow up the coast to Portland and then will be heading to Whitefish, MT. I'll leave my bicycle in Whitefish (anybody know someone that has a bit of space in a shed or a garage) and then head to St. Francisville, LA where a friend of mine is getting married on April 11th. From there I will ride to Albuquerque where I will meet up with a couple of friends that I hiked with a few weeks on the Pacific Crest Trail and leave my scooter with their friend. On April 22nd I should be in Lordsburg, NM and should be starting a thru hike of the Continental Divide the following day.

If all goes to plan, I should be back in Whitefish, MT by the middle of September where I'll meet up with my bicycle and ride the Great Divide Route back to New Mexico, meet up with the scooter and ride home.

If the concept and equipment for this loop work out I will be heading south early 2016. Mexico, central and South America for 1.5-2 years and then Europe, Asia and Africa for 4.5 years.

This all might seem a bit crazy, but in 2007 I did a 10,000 mile tour in South America on a 100cc motorcycle. In 2010 I Ironmaned both the Baja 1000 and Vegas to Reno. In 2011 I rode a bicycle 5,500 miles from Big Sky, MT down to Cabo San Lucas and then up to Nogales, AZ. In 2012 I thru hiked the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail and when I finished I rode a $100 bicycle up to Skagway, AK. In 2013 I did a 10,000 mile bicycle tour on India and Nepal. This trip is all about massing up all of my interests and taking my time to see the world.

A few months back I made a short video for a National Geographic contest describing my trip. I didn't win the contest, but the video does a better job at explaining this trip and words alone.

http://youtu.be/L_g7ZTFCVwk

Here is an original mock-up of my bicycle behind the scooter. I'll try to post up pictures of my final set-up with my bags attached within the next couple of days.

metal screwed with this post 03-24-2015 at 11:55 AM
metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
metal OP
President of FRONJ

Here's a link to my Spot tracker:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...XWJxyPXULDZJQE
Old 03-18-2015, 11:03 AM   #3
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 991
WOW, amazing and challenging itinerary! Travel safe and looking forward to seeing this trip unfold. Wishing you blue skies and wind at your back.
Sub'd.
Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #4
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,370
Cool!

Do you ever have problems getting from one place to another if there is only a highway available?

Here in BC, you wouldn't be allowed to go on any highway, and sometimes there is no other way to get somewhere.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 3,192
I'm in; what a stud...

Be safe and we'll be watching from Arkansas
Old 03-18-2015, 04:07 PM   #6
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Get in touch with me on the bike. I am sure I can find space in the garage or storage unit for it.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 09:16 PM   #7
blainerides
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Happy travels! Will be watching for updates. Subscribed! Blaine in Seattle
blainerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:39 AM   #8
Wildmojo2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Nice, but where is all your gear and does the rear tire of the bike hold or does or wear fast.
Edit: the video explains the gear question.
Wildmojo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:06 AM   #9
JettPilot
ADV Fanatic !!!

Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal View Post
This all might seem a bit crazy, but in 2007 I did a 10,000 mile tour in South America on a 100cc motorcycle. In 2010 I Ironmaned both the Baja 1000 and Vegas to Reno..
I would bet good money that your plans will change... You seem to have a lot of experience which is cool, so you obviously know what you are doing and are capable of a big adventure like this. You will have plenty of " cheerleaders ", and rightfully so, doing a trip like this is awesome, and I really look forward to seeing your report and pictures !!! BUT, I am going to be the one that tells you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. The one thing I think you are doing really wrong is that you seem to be trying really hard to impress everyone by doing a big trip on a ridiculously tiny, inappropriate bike. What you describe sounds like the trip of a lifetime, I sure as heck would want that trip to be as awesome as it could possibly be. I would use a better, faster, proper bike that would be more capable and more fun. I would not settle for a lesser experience just to try to impress others by doing it on a ruckus.

I get that some people like small and light... I would look hard at the Honda CRF250L a really great small adventure bike, or the Honda Wave 125 if you really like and want something light and small. Those will be a lot more capable an will allow you to enjoy your ride a lot more.

SAFETY: I would never trust my fate, or risk such a long trip by trusting that everyone will just pass me safely... Are you kidding, that is a setup for disaster... People drive texting, distracted, half asleep, and you are just going to trust the whole world to see and pass you for that long ??? You might get lucky, but is a HUGE RISK. I would take some of my fate back into my own hands and ride a bike that can match the speeds of traffic.

I am not trying to change your mind, not even possible since you have already started your trip... What I am trying to do is get your thinking.... If you find you do not like the long slow miles, and passing traffic on that Ruckus, keep an open mind, forget trying to impress everyone, and go with whatever will let you enjoy your trip the most. If you like and proceed with the Honda Ruckus, at least get the biggest, brightest Hyperlight flashing LED taillight they sell, mount it on the back of your ruckus, and have it flashing the entire time you are on the highway. This will be a huge improvement to your visibility to passing cars.

http://www.hyperlites.com/

I certainly wish you good luck, and have fun... But addressing reality and safety is important and can make the difference between having the best adventure of your life, or having a total disaster that ruins it.

Mike
Attached Images

JettPilot screwed with this post 03-19-2015 at 07:14 AM
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:28 AM   #10
Oznay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
In,cannot imagine how this is gonna play out. Good luck..
Oznay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:29 AM   #11
Peak2Peak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Hell yes man. Living the dream. Safe travels.
Peak2Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #12
NevBlu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Expect the unexpected

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal View Post
Leaving today on the first leg of a 7 year trip around the world on a Honda Ruckus scooter. The idea for this trip has been floating around my head for several years, and I'm finally starting ... This all might seem a bit crazy, but ... This trip is all about massing up all of my interests and taking my time to see the world.
Your attitude appears strong, so go for it. Lots of handle bar time and it appears to be an adventure like 'Jupiter's Travels' yet on a small scooter. I will be watching. Again, good luck and expect the unexpected.

:)
Old 03-19-2015, 07:07 AM   #13
Wildmojo2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I don 't think someone plans a 7 year world trip just to impress people. Go for it and if you ever need a place to stay for you or your bike in the Netherlands, you're welcome.
Wildmojo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:33 AM   #14
metal OP
President of FRONJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Cool!

Do you ever have problems getting from one place to another if there is only a highway available?

Here in BC, you wouldn't be allowed to go on any highway, and sometimes there is no other way to get somewhere.
L.B.S.
I rode my bicycle from Montana to Washington and then down the coast, so I know that there are ways for slower vehicles to travel. The legality is another thing. At the end of my ride yesterday I got to a section where the highway didn't have a side access road. There was a bicycle path that said no motorized vehicles were allowed. When I rode my bicycle on this section years back, bicycle were in a lane on the other side of a Jersey barrier. I chose the safer and less of the two evils and just rode slowly on the bicycle path. I'm sure I'll come across many more sections like this in the US. Outside of the US it should be much easier.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #15
metal OP
President of FRONJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildmojo2 View Post
Nice, but where is all your gear and does the rear tire of the bike hold or does or wear fast.
Edit: the video explains the gear question.
I'm on a computer I'm unfamiliar with, so hopefully this works. This was taken by a co-worker of mine at the bicycle shop I work at. Shows my current iteration of scoot packing. I have a drybag under the seat. The side bags are Wolfman Expeditions. On the handlebar I have a Seal Line dry bag attached by a Revelate Designs mount. The brown backpack for now was an easy place to put some gear that I want easy access to. I'll probably ditch this if I can find a better solution.
The Giant Loop that was in the video was the Great Basin which was way too big. I bought a bike that came with the Wolfman bags and they fit perfect and are super solid.
The rear tire on the bicycle is not under load, so hopefully it'll last a long time. My front on my touring bicycle which only handles brakes last for 20,000 miles. This loop will give me a better idea on how everything holds up.