Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
Hi-Vis Dennis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Arctic Circle on the Dempster Highway

Kingston, Washington to the Arctic Circle on the Dempster Highway July 2008

I Chose the Dempster over the Dalton/Prudhoe Bay route because of less truck traffic on the Dempster. This proved to be true as, I met only 1 truck on the Dempster. The Dalton has an average of 180 trucks per day in the summer. Two guys I met that went to the Dalton, took one look at the huge dust clouds from the trucks and decided not to do the Dalton. If you want to put your toe in the Arctic Ocean, go on the Dalton. To each his own.

The route shown below is laid out for about 300 miles per day which is about all my butt is good for on the stock seat of my 2008 KLR 650. May try that Sargent seat on my next trip. Started the 18 day trip ate Month="7" Day="16" Year="2008">July 16, 2008ate> and ended August 2 back in Kingston (near Seattle, WA, USA). 4,792 total miles. $123 per day total costs, only camped 2 days due to bad weather.

The same route on Google Earth with GPS tracks in purple.

Day 1 – July 16 – Kingston to Cache Creek
Delayed in my driveway for pictures and impatient to get going. My first try at this trip in June 2008 did not get out of the driveway. The bike was held hostage 1 month in the Kawasaki shop for new rings, cylinder, and piston to fix high oil consumption. Pain in the neck, but it fixed the oil consumption; ran 3,000 miles at 4500 to 5000 rpm on this trip before oil change and it used no oil.

Starting from the rear of the bike, the black bag is a Helen Two Wheels waterproof bag for the sleeping bag and thermarest, the green bag has the tent, Jetboil, food bag, hatchet, raingear (not used) and chain lube. The Cortect Sport saddlebags have clothing, shoes, heated vest, bathroom kit, The Milepost, Kawasaki Service manual, and 1 liter water bottle. These saddle bags did not leak when riding in the rain even thou the zippers are not waterproof. It must be the air flow keeps the water off the bags. The Olympia jacket kept me dry on wet days and cool on hot days. The pants leaked like a sieve in the crotch area. The tank bag is a Wolfman Explorer Lite for lunch, first aid kit, air compressor, maps, and survival gear. It fits the KLR well. Up front is a Garmin Zumo GPS which worked fine, a digital watch and a digital temperature gage that lasted about 4,000 miles.

This bike has 10,000 miles on it, so I put a new chain and sprockets on plus new Meffo Explorer tires. My plan was no tire changes up North, so went with the Meffo’s based on reports that they are good for 6,000 plus miles. See photo at end of report.

Let’s get going!

My first little adventure; 5 exits to Hope, BC and I take the 2nd exit instead of listening for the GPS and found myself down by the railroad tracks. What an interesting train; each car has a wind turbine blade and the cars next to me have the generators. So it’s a wind farm on a train. And then a young gal rides up on a motorcycle and stops to talk about the wind turbines. So I asked her where Hope is and she says (of course) down the road 2 miles, you can’t miss it.

My first night is at the campground 1 KM east of Cache Creek, BC. Met a fellow biker here that was on his second life. He had died twice during heart surgery and felt he was lucky to be alive. Something like that really changes your outlook on life. We went into town for dinner and brought back cold beer to ward off the very warm temperatures. After beers and much MC talk, I went back my tent for a good nights sleep. A very good day; the freedom of a solo ride during the day and good company in the evening.

Day 2 - July 17 - Cache Creek to Prince George, BC
Rode to Prince George and stayed at the University of Northern BC dorms. It costs only $30 to stay in a suite composed of a large living room, kitchen, large bathroom and 4 small bedrooms. Both nights I stayed there (stayed there on my way back) I had the suite to myself, so was quite comfortable.

Day 3 – July 18 - Prince George to Ft. St. Johns
A grumpy morning. It was raining. When I got on the bike, the soaking wet sheep skin butt pad got my butt wet instantly; the GPS took me to a restaurant that is gone and now is a warehouse, so I got on the route to Ft. St. Johns. So, no breakfast, riding in the rain with a wet butt. What else could go wrong? Well, the head light burned out, and my new policy to reduce the number of gas stops resulted in almost running out of gas. Fortunately, things got better; found a good restaurant and had a good breakfast, got gas, it quit raining, the sun came out and look at how beautiful the Peace River Valley is on a partly sunny day. Some locals told me of plans to dam the river for power generation and their fight to stop it. So it’s like China and the Three Gorges dam. Hope the locals win.

Got to Ft. St. Johns and checked into a hotel. Would have camped out but I don’t know where 2 of the 4 bolts are that have to be removed to get the faring off to change the headlight and not sure if the spare headlight bulb I have is the right one. So best to be in town where I can get things. Glad I brought the service manual, even thou it takes up a lot of space and is heavy. Parked the bike in the shade and dove into finding the right bolts to remove. Finally found the 2 bolts up under the top fairings, got the front fairing off, replaced the bulb, re-assembled and the new bulb works. Went to the bar and had a cold beer and dinner. Really appreciated the 2008 KLR headlight design; that second bulb saves the day by letting you ride to where you can fix the first one that burned out with no worries about cops or not being able to see if it happens at night.

This hotel seems to attract broken bikes. Found this fellow KLR rider outside in the morning with a broken chain. He had really bad luck followed by really good luck. First, the chain breaks and falls off the bike. As he is walking back to get it, a truck runs over it and bends it all to hell. He tells the trucker he is stranded, the trucker says “No problem, just load your bike on my truck and I will drive you to a hotel in the next town”. In the morning he sees a bike shop across the street, gets a new o-ring chain and proceeds to put it on. He doesn’t know how difficult it is to put the master link on an o-ring chain and is just pondering how to do this when I come along. I’ve just been through putting a new o-ring chain on my bike and found it to be so difficult that I bought the master link compression tool to do this with. Just happen to have it with me and use it to help him put the master link on and he is good to go.

He is returning from a ride up the Dempster highway and tells me the mud was bad on the way to the Arctic Circle. People told him not to go on to Inuvik if it was raining as the roads would be very slick. He went anyway, but was stopped by a slick clay hill that he spun out on even with knobby tires. Had to turn around and go back to Eagle Plains. This worries me. If it rains hard, I might not make it to the Arctic Circle.

Day 4 – July 19 - Ft. St. Johns to Tetsa Campground

Below is the Alaska Highway. It is a mostly straight, modern, high quality, high speed (100 KPH or 62 MPH) highway. Lots of nice scenery, some hills and a few curves. Had nice weather until I got to Ft. Nelson when it started to rain. I needed to ride about 1 hour more to keep tomorrows ride under 300 miles. There was lighter sky to the west, so decided to chance riding to the Tetsa Campground for the night, hoping it would not be raining there.

Got lucky, no rain at Tetsa and I’m set up for the night. The park ranger tells me to put all food in my food bag and hang it on a limb 100’ away from my tent to keep the bears from entering my camp site. I point out that my food is in cans; the ranger says the bears can smell it thru cans. Well, if the bears are going to be that way, then all my food is going in the bag and 100’ out of camp. Putting it on a tree limb is easy and it was still there in the morning. No furry visitors in the night.

Dinner is served. Man cooking at its best (or worst?). I simmer the can of spaghetti and meat balls in the Jetboil for about 5 minutes to warm it up. I use my knife to lift it up out of the Jetboil pot. The mini bottle of wine makes it seem like a fine meal. Just need a loaf of freshly baked French bread to go with it and it would be a perfect meal. Note that the principles of Man cooking are all met with this meal. No dishes to do, no clean-up, no pots and pans, easy to fix, no cooking skills needed, and a deadly weapon is used to prepare the meal. This was so good, I had a second mini bottle of wine to celebrate. I really enjoyed this meal and liked fixing it.

Wine tip of the month: Can’t find those mini bottles of wine where you travel? Save 3 of the empty mini bottles, buy a regular bottle of wine and fill the 3 minis with it and drink the rest.

Day 5 – July 20 - Tetsa Campground to Watson Lake

I use all my cooking skills to prepare a pot of boiling water to make instant coffee and instant oatmeal. Throw a little trail mix in with the oatmeal and it makes a good breakfast. I suffer thru cleaning the bowl the oatmeal was in.
On my rainy way up to Watson Lake I stop at Liard Hot Springs and take in the sights. Liked the wood stove in the camp shelter. Lucked out when a couple came by with wood and started a fire in it to roast hot dogs. Had a nice conversation with them while enjoying the fire.

Lots of rain showers on the way to Watson Lake. Got a room at the Air Force Lodge which is a remodeled Air Force barracks from WWII. Neat old place and the guy that runs it keeps it in good shape. Went to the sign forest and was most impressed with the machinery they had there that was used to build the Alaska Highway. This 1943 D-8 cable blade Cat was actually used to build the highway.

Day 6 – July21 - Watson Lake to Whitehorse

This shot of the KLR dash shows it is 8 AM, 42 degrees F, and wet. This tells me I need to wear my thermal underwear and heated vest. Typically, it would warm up and by noon I would turn the heated vest off and by afternoon would take the vest and jacket liner off.

I ride to Whitehorse under partly cloudy skies and arrive at the visitor’s center where I find that all the motorcyclists there ride 2008 KLR 650’s.

The 2 fellows riding these bikes really liked riding on gravel roads and rode the Alaska Highway only to get to more gravel roads. When they got to the Dalton highway, it was dry and the trucks were making such huge clouds of dust, they decided to skip going to the Arctic Circle on the Dalton. So, different strokes for different folks; they skip the Arctic Circle, my goal is the Arctic Circle.

Day 7 – July 22 – Whitehorse to Carmacks
When I get up in the morning, I’m tired and realize that I need to take a day off from riding. Also need to buy a gas can, radiator brush (for mud removal if needed) and I really want to see the Beringia Museum which is out by the airport in Whitehorse.

The museum is interesting because it shows in detail the land bridge across the Bering Sea and how there were no glaciers in parts of the Yukon during the last ice ages due to the “snow shadow” effect of the mountain ranges to the west. This allowed the wooly mammoth, saber toothed tigers and other critters to prosper on the grass lands. So this is pretty standard museum fare. What was a hoot and the most fun I’ve ever had at a museum, was the young tour guide offering to teach us how to throw spears using throwing sticks like ancient civilizations all over the world have used. I’ve always been curious about just how these worked and assumed the ancients spent many years learning how to use them. Below, yours truly is about to throw his first spear with a throwing stick. Note how big the spear is…

He throws and look (upper left in the clouds) how far the spear is going; it’s way in the distance and getting smaller fast…

I could not believe how far the spear went and how easy it was to use the throwing stick. I next tried throwing at a target and was able to hit it the first try. A little practice and you could get really good with it. Just imagine a dozen ancients armed with these spears in a concentrated attack on a wooly mammoth. My wife is worried about me camping out with the bears, so had to send her this e-mail-

Whitehorse was a fun vacation from the trip; took a half day Tue. to visit the Beringia museum where I learned how to throw a spear with a throwing stick. Worked great - I hit the target. Then defended myself from attacking wooly mammoth and saber toothed tigers; forget the bears, I've moved on to bigger targets.

After lunch, I decided to not take the whole day off, but make 2 easy days out of it by riding 100 miles to Carmacks today which would make the next days ride to Dawson only 200 miles. So day 7 ends in Carmacks with a nice walk on their board walk along the river. Talked to a city maintenance guy who says for the last 3 years summers have been wet and cool. This is not good news for someone hoping for good weather on the Dempster Highway.

Day 8 – July 23 – Carmacks to Dawson City
Rainy weather on the way to Dawson City and rain showers the rest of the day in Dawson. But look what I found in the rain puddles in Dawson – a solar powered car that is trying to set an endurance record of 16,000 KM and is going up the Dempster Highway.

Below is a close-up of the solar car. Their web site has lots of info on the car and their mission. The car has a lithium-ion battery that when fully charged, powers them for 100 KM. The solar cells charge the battery even when it is cloudy, but at a much lower rate than when sunny. So they have to wait sometimes for the battery to charge up before they can head out. The tires are special low rolling resistance tires inflated to 90 psi. For the Dempster, they lowered the pressure to 70 psi to reduce flats. They had 3 flats on the way up to Eagle Plains.

Went to the Dempster Traveler Information building and was told that 2 days earlier a motorcyclist had crashed due to slippery conditions and had to be medi-vac out with a broken wrist and back injury. They had a road diary with travelers stories about how bad the Dempster is when wet. The weather forecast is for rain for the next day, then sunny the day after. All this negative info and the bad weather convinced me that I might not make it to the Arctic Circle, which would be a real bummer after traveling 2,000 miles to get here. Decided to wait a day for better weather to go up to the Arctic Circle. Tomorrow I would go up the Top of The World Highway and back to Dawson so as to not waste a day up here.

Checked into the Bunkhouse hotel. For $50 you get a tiny room with a bed, a chair, no TV, and the bathroom is down the outside walkway. Works ok for one person; two people might not be friends after bumping into each other all the time in that tiny room. With a tiny room, rainy crappy weather and disappointment over the road forecast, I decided a night out on the town was in order. So off to Diamond Tooth Gerties to drown my road sorrows in beer. The song and dance show was good as well as the Yukon Gold beer. Sat at a large empty table and welcomed the first large group of people to come by. They appreciated my saving them a table (not my intent) and bought me a beer. They were from the Midwest and related the excessive rain they had this year; so everyone seems to be getting a lot of rain.

Day 9 – July 24 - Dawson City to Top of the World Highway

Woke up to a beautiful sunny day and headed out for the Top of the World Highway. Met this German bicyclist on the way up. He had flown from Germany to Inuvik to start his trip. His ride from Inuvik to Eagle Plains was very hot (25 C), from Eagle Plains to Dawson was wet mud that was difficult to peddle through. He heard that this highway was very popular with bicyclist, but had seen none and I had not seen any either. What a beautiful day to be on this road doing anything!

I stopped at the Alaska – Yukon boarder to turn around and to take photos. The photo below is the boarder crossing station. Boarder guards that really piss-off their supervisors get sent here. This long view of mountains is on each side of the road that is built on top of a ridge line, hence the feeling that you are on top of the world.

Had a nice ride back to Dawson. Talked to another German fellow at the ferry crossing; he was concerned that he might not be able to change the tire on his rental car if it went flat. We humans worry too much, me included.

Decided to spend the night at the Junction of Highway 2 and the Dempster Highway which is Highway 5. There is a good motel/restaurant/gas station there. This would give me a good start in the morning for going to the Arctic Circle.

Day 10 – July 25 - Junction of Highway 2 and 5 to the Arctic Circle

D-Day! Dempster Day! And just like D-day, it was a rainy crappy day with puddles in the parking lot. I decided to go as far as I could before being stopped by slippery mud, demons and dragons. Below is the start of the Dempster Highway and the bike loaded with extra gas and a sandwich for lunch.

The Dempster is easy going at 50 mph for a few miles, and then I hit a 100 yd long patch of mud which almost causes me to crash because I’m going 50. And that is the Dempster challenge – go 50 mph, but identify those sections where you need to slow down to 20 to go thru safely. One more almost 50 mph mud crash and I’m doing fine at 73 miles up the Dempster –

At 107 miles I see a van pulled over to the side of the road, so I slow down to see if they are ok and then pass them. Look who is in front of them-

It’s the solar car from Dawson and their support vehicle is helping them fix a flat. It is cloudy with rain showers, but they are still going. Also note how good the road looks; typical of the Dempster – miles of good road and then a bad spot of mud or potholes.

I’m 137 miles up the Dempster and warming up my sandwich on the exhaust pipe for lunch. Everything is going fine. It is about 48 F with intermittent rain showers. My heated vest keeps me warm and the squeegee on my glove works great for wiping my visor so I can see the road clearly and miss all the potholes. Plan on emptying the gas can into the gas tank to get rid of that weight up high. Rain starts after lunch so will do the gas transfer later.

A scenery shot partially obstructed by clouds, like all the other shots on this leg of the trip.

Panned over a bit

About 30 minutes from Eagle Plains. There was about 50 miles of this dirt road before Eagle Plains. It could be slick in heavy rain. It is almost dry, smooth and easy going at 50 mph.

I arrive at Eagle Plains Hotel about 3:30 PM and get a room for the night. Then leave for the Arctic Circle which is about 20 miles north of here.

Continued next post.

Ride while you can.
Safety first, fashion last.

2008 Artic Circle Ride Report

2009 Seattle to Moab Parts 1&2
Hi-Vis Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
Hi-Vis Dennis OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
Arctic Circle on the Dempster Highway

I made it!

4:42 PM, 48 F, windy, cloudy, no rain and I made it in spite of all the dire forecasts of doom and gloom and many people telling me not to go up here if it was raining.

Lucked out on this self portrait; the camera is sitting on the bike seat and I happened to stand where my arms framed the Arctic Circle sign.

20 minutes later 2 guys drove up and we each took the others photos. So here is the more traditional photo –

The GPS shows we are actually 0.9 minutes of arc north of the Arctic Circle, but that is OK. Would be cool if they put poles on each side of the road where you actually cross the Arctic Circle.

The vegetation is mostly a low ground cover, but did find one evergreen tree growing. The locals say in winter everything up here is white with snow.

The Meffo Explorer tire at about 2500 miles. Has plenty of tread and may have saved me when I hit that muddy section at 50 mph.

Returned to the Eagle Plains Hotel for dinner and celebrated with a beer. Got my Arctic Circle certificate from the bar and the barmaid filled it out for me. These chairs looked so comfortable and I was so tired that I sat in one for a couple of hours. Other guests and the morning waitress joined us for interesting conversation about solar cars, a study of spiders on the Dempster, and Eagle Plains happenings. The morning waitress promised to remind me to order a sandwich at breakfast for my journey back tomorrow and I went to bed.

Day 11 – July 26

Had breakfast at the hotel, got my sandwich for lunch, got gas for the bike and gas can and headed out down the Dempster. I know the road up here is good so I’m doing 50 mph when I hit a 50 yard long patch of mud and nearly crash, just like yesterday morning. I don’t like this routine of nearly crashing in mud each morning. Obviously, this road changes frequently and what was a good section can turn into a bad section overnight. Wish I had taken pictures of my serpentine path thru the mud, but I was too shook-up to think of taking a photo.

Further down, the road is lined with fireweed for miles making the road look like someone landscaped it; very pretty. Or is it funeral flowers for bikers that crash in the mud?

About 10 AM I ride up into the low clouds and have to slow down to 40 mph in the mist due to low visibility.

After an hour or so I finally get out of the clouds and meet the solar car still on its way up to Arctic Circle. It is moving and has its lights on. Talk to the people in the van about the clouds up ahead. They have fixed 3 flats so far; pretty good for their type of tires.

Stop for lunch about 1 PM. The road thru this valley is very smooth, compacted gravel and you can go 60 mph on it safely.

After lunch I come to my favorite valley, a lush green one that seems to go on forever with a road going up the middle of it. Best ride of the trip.

There must be 10,000 potholes in this road and I missed most of them by riding just to the right of the right wheel track. This technique worked for 100’s of miles except in one curve the smooth tract to the right just petered out into the ditch, forcing me into the potholes. Damn!

Made it back to the start of the Dempster Highway.

Rode over to the car wash area to clean the bike. Took several pics of the bike before cleaning it.

The radiator did not get clogged up with mud and I had no overheating problems. If you look close, you can see the right side is partially clogging up in a 2” wide vertical strip.

Day 12 – July 27 – Junction 2/5 to Whitehorse

On my way back to Whitehorse the GPS had a little fun with me. Highway 2 is the only road to Whitehorse so when the GPS said “Turn left in 500 meters”, I thought – What a stupid GPS, there are no left turns on this highway. 500 meters down the road is a detour sign directing me to turn left onto a gravel road! How did the GPS know there was a detour there this morning? The detour took me up into the hills and back down to Highway 2 where the GPS and I wanted to turn left, but the detour took us across 2 and back up into the hills and then finally back down to 2.

Day 13 – July 28 - Whitehorse to Junction 37

I Changed oil in downtown Whitehorse at EnviroLube at the corner of 5th Ave and Ogilvie St. This place is owned by a motorcycle enthusiast who will provide you with the tools for you to change your own oil and he will dispose of the old oil, all for free. No MC oil filters so bring your own or skip changing the filter. He should charge $5 or $10 but doesn’t. Check out their gallery of cool motorcycle photos in the back. Good shots of the owner doing 100’ jumps and such. The Kawasaki dealer said he could get me in for an oil change in 2 weeks.

When I saw this moose standing in the road I stopped as fast as I could and got my camera going to catch this picture of him stomping off into the brush.

Spent the night at Junction 37 at the almost abandoned motel. $45, but the place gave me the creeps as I was the only one there and the door to my room would not close.

Day 14 – July 29 – Junction 37 to Ft.Nelson

Stopped in the middle of a Bison heard that was straddling the road. They were very calm and many people stopped to take pictures.

Day 15 – July 30 – Ft.Nelson to Ft.St. Johns

Very windy ride.

Day 16 – July 31 – Ft. St. Johns to Prince George

Saw a lot of pine forest damage from Pine beetles. It is not getting cold enough in the winter to kill the pine beetles, so they are thriving.

Day 17 – Aug 1 - Prince George to Cache Creek

Another rainy morning in Prince George, but got out of there with a dry butt and found a restaurant an hour down the road. Had rain showers all day till Cache Creek where it poured down rain and then changed to heavy hail while I was checking into the motel. Was hoping to camp out here again, but the weather was crap.

Day 18 – Aug 2 - Cache Creek to Home in KingstonWashington

The Partly cloudy weather today was very welcome after yesterday’s rain. Stopped at Tim Horton’s for lunch, gave them all my Canadian money and asked for the change to be in donut holes. This flustered the gal so much she forgot to give me coffee and was unable to overcome the computer system to give me coffee when I returned and asked for it. Got 4 donut holes in change. The boarder crossing at Sumas took 1 hour and they allowed me to bring the donut holes into the US. I got home about 6 PM.

Meffo tire report ; at about 4800 miles the tires look like this –

Rear

Front

They appear to have about 3/16 to ¼ inch of tread left and I will run them around here for the rest of the summer. The main thing is they got me up there and back so I did not have to change tires up there.

Post Trip Reflections

Glad I did it. Brings a smile to my face every time I think about riding my motorcycle to the Arctic Circle. I will be 60 this year, but I’m not too old to ride a motorcycle to the Arctic Circle and back. My advice to anyone doing this (and I did not follow it) is when you see what might be mud on the Dempster Highway, slow down to 20 mph and when you are in it you can accelerate back up to 50. Don’t hit it at 50 and try to maintain control while the bike is de-accelerating from 50 down to 20 in thick mud. Going solo worked, so if you don’t have a riding buddy that wants to do this, don’t let that stop you. Lots of friendly people up there. My biggest problem was a sore butt at the end of the day, so a better seat is a good investment. A sheep skin butt pad did not fix my stock seat. The 2008 KLR 650 was a reliable bike for me. The only problem was a burned out headlight bulb.

Most Important Accessories

Heated Vest for temps of 50’s F or below

Thumb Squeegee (some gloves have built-in squeegee) to wipe visor clear of rain

Cramp Buster on throttle – saves you right hand from gripping all day

The End

Ride while you can.
Safety first, fashion last.

2008 Artic Circle Ride Report

2009 Seattle to Moab Parts 1&2
Hi-Vis Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
zadok
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Well done. Fantastic trip.

http://www.triumphrat.net/memberalbu...4275.html?sl=z
zadok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Moraflex
Banned

Oddometer: 1,342
Congrats, you did it..

I just went in a told my assistant that I needed to go to Alaska, she said "sure I'll cover for you". Ya right, I wish.......

Thumb Squeegee & Cramp Buster, what great ideas.

Great RR..Thanks

Moraflex screwed with this post 08-19-2008 at 04:14 PM
Moraflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 764
Hey Dennis,

That was a very nice write-up on your trip. I was amazed at the tires that held up so well after all the miles, you must be smooth on the throttle to make them last that long. Congraulations on the completion of your ride and just think in a little more than 2 years you can get Social Security and let the goverment pay for some of your future adventures etc.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 02:40 AM   #6
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,941
great report

thanks for posting

I'll get there one day
Old 08-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #7
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 446
great read
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,469
Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Neat pictures and narration. Hopefully next year after I retire, Canada and Alaska in the plans with my trusty KLR. '-)

A '00 KLR 650 40,000 miles, A '07 1250S 74,000 , A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 78,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
VictorBravoMikeIndia
Low Altitude Flyer

Oddometer: 146
Thanks for sharing your experiences and pictures........ enjoyed it !
VictorBravoMikeIndia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #10
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
Excellent trip and a great report to read. On my list of destinations - wonder how the knobbies will fit on my r75/6
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #11
White6Romeo
Because Im Awesome

Oddometer: 377
nice

Sweet RR man. Maybe next year you can tackle the Dalton Highway up to The Arctic Circle.
White6Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,973
Congratulations on the ride and the great report! Nicely done!

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:51 PM   #13
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,655
Sounds like you had a fantastic time. Nice rr thanks.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:59 PM   #14
KWJeeper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Great ride report. Me and the Tiger are planning on the trip in 2010. Gathering farkles and planning as we speak.

If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride. ~Author Unknown
KWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Man I gotta do the Dempster again next year. Thanks for posting
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote