Hi Big fella
We'll try to get to the crashed Huey up near the Burma border

Now you have my attention
Can you post or pm me the details
I fly the old bell 212 here in Dubai when I'm not in the fancy Augusta 139
1 of our engineers lives in Pai
Really enjoy your RR

Reef
Sure. I've got the co-ords and will post them up whether or not we get there. It landed short of the pad about three or four years ago and creased the tail boom. Its been dragged up onto the pad a bit and ratted.

Its north of Pai about an hour, I think.

I called into the shop today and they were working on my bike - and only my bike, which was good. My host, Phillip, at Riders Corner has his drowned 990 in there... after a river crossing gone bad up towards where we are headed tomorrow.

Sa started the 570 for me. Sweet as....

He's subbing out the front wheel lacing but says it will be all finished when I get back. Should be riding on the weekend.

Ride through Oz and Asia
The Bigfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:40 AM   #722
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,449
Here's the crashed Huey, for those interested in choppers. Its been dragged up onto the edge of the helipad, about 15-20 metres from where it crashed. Not sure if he came in too hard, or was hit by a downdraft, but he didn't make the surface of the pad... he hit the side of it.

N 19.39.845
E 098.24.790
Elev 1638m

I know a few guys who've been up there on bikes... some less comfortable with the experience than others - and they were on dirt bikes. Like anything, I shouldn't say don't do it on a streetbike. Yeah... you could get there on one. Don't blame me if you end up 500' down a ravine after losing it on some deep, slippery bulldust... or if it rains and it takes you two days to walk out.

Here's a track from the Chiang Mai - Mae Hong Son road, north through the National Park to the helicopter, which is about 3 - 4 km south of the Myanmar border as the crow flies.

Pai is about where the track and the road are separated.

I did the trip in a 4WD Hilux ute.... and it was mostly in 1st and 2nd gear. Sometimes crawling in low range 4WD. A bike would be quicker and easier... but, be careful... the penalty for error is very, very large in places.

The chopper has been ratted... although there's still lots of panels and a few switches, etc. We left it all be.

We were having some doubts, given our slow progress... but this army border guard was happy to confirm we didn't have far to go.

We were going to turn back if we didn't see it by 2:30 pm. We saw it at 2:30 pm.

We picked up some happy locals on the way back and gave them a lift to town

These are the good bits of road... there's no plunge off the edge

But we were spinning the wheels and sliding a bit at times

One pedal has been thieved

I suspect the landing skids are a bit more splayed than standard

Oops

Slash and burn agriculture on the way in. Saw far too much of it for my liking

Getting overtaken by the bulldust cloud as we clawed our way up some hills. Big ditches here... metres deep beside the road

Enough Huey shots for you?

I'm back to the shop for the second time today. He said it would be finished today.... it wasn't earlier... but the big jobs are done

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 04-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #723
gavo
Slacker

Oddometer: 1,778
Cool, I might go have a look next year I haven't been up around Pai for 27 years,
gavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:52 PM   #724
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

If anyone is interested in more info on the helicopter... there's a new thread, bringing together all that's known about it over on ride asia. Auke clipped this image from Google Earth, dated Dec, 2010 and it isn't visible

It seems the Thai army lost 3 other choppers in a short space of time in late 2010 (one whilst searching for another lost one).... and they didn't bother reporting this one.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #725
Reefdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Thanks Bigfella

Its a wonder the tail rotor pedals are still there, they are usually the first things to go, very sort after items.
she is just a shell of the original

reef
Reefdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:38 AM   #726
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Phew.... 99F / 37C here at 4:15pm. A bit hotter earlier. A mate had 42C on his outside temp reading yesterday.

Had a damn good social session at Riders Corner last night. Four of the five at the table were also sailors.

Interesting that two of the guys set off from the US on around the world voyages 20 years apart... and ended up not getting past Thailand. One left the US in '81 and got here in '89... the other in 2001 and got here in '08 (and has since sailed the boat on to South Africa where it is currently stored). There's a 20 year age gap too. Bit more syncronicity... both are now well into bikes and they both now have Thai wives - their American wives having gone home.

Some good tales of south Pacific sailing - and even of sailing down the China coast and some good riding tales too and discussion of bikes. Luke, an Aussie who has just left Singapore, headed for Ireland on his 800 BMW surprised us by telling us its been pinging a bit... even running the 91 Octane mapping. That's another vote for KTM if you ask me

So... things are getting close to being organised for my Laos ride. Proof...

That turned out, on Sunday to be an abortive start. I picked the bike up, paid the bill - $180 labor, plus some bits and fluids that I hadn't supplied was a bit less than that again.... not bad for a top end overhaul, clutch work, steering head, rear bush and spring replacement, etc.

I got 300 metres and it conked out, which was caused by this

A buggered Woodruff key. It only too Sa about 15 minutes to narrow it down to that. Fuel OK... no spark. Why no spark... ECU OK, sender.... not sending. Key in the alternator broken. A quick trip to the Honda shop and away I went. Just straight back to Riders' Cnr.

I tried to source a new one from the KTM shop yesterday, but the guys there wouldn't know if their arses were on fire. "You ring Bangkok" I'll pack another Honda one, just in case... as the one we used isn't quite the right height and I'd rather not get stuck in Laos for the want of one... and I'll get one mailed over.

So, this morning, I broke out the off-road gear... knee braces, armoured riding gear, boots etc and put 60 km on the new piston - up Doi Suthep and back... an ascent of 1,550 metres. Lots of corners to get me back in the riding frame of mind. Nice and gentle.... sort of.... as it seemed I was the fastest vehicle on the road.

It was weird.... I was taking it easy and following a Falang on a sports bike - and he pulled in and let me go by about a third of the way up. I thought he'd have blitzed me. Probably a tourist on a rental bike. Can't imagine one of the guys who live here for the riding would do that. I explored the limits of the grip on the tyres... and blew past a couple of cops too, then decided I wanted a photo of this one

I have to brush up on my moving photography... but given I didn't have the camera tied on... just in my pocket... that'll have to do.

Big grin from him as I took his photo. He loved it... as did his mates up at the royal palace where he stopped. I don't recognise the bike... Excelsor?? Something like that. Newish, in an old style - disk brakes at both ends.

I stopped at one of the Hmong tourist magnet villages up top for a coffee. Saw this Vespa in the same spot two years ago. Just a sales prop

Speaking of props....

I really do have to get that sidestand fixed or replaced. With the new spring in the bike, its currently higher at the rear and I may leave it that way for the Laos trip. I need a lot of blocking under the stand as it is now... or something to lean the bike against. I have a suspicion the fan wasn't working too... and I've sourced a tail light to replace the broken one... guess tomorrow is stand and wiring day

.... and here's one more Huey pic from Auke.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 04-30-2014, 05:14 PM   #727
poppawheelie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
Side Stand

You might want to do something like this. Can't find the pictures now, so I'll "verbal" it. Cut a section out of the middle. Tap threads into each piece and put in threaded rod. Two nuts go in the middle of the threaded rod to lock against the original side stand pieces, or weld one side and use one lock nut. You now have an adjustable side stand. I assume you can find the parts there. This works on a DR650 side stand. I'm also making the assumption that the KTM side stand is thick walled enough to do this.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 PM   #728
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
You might want to do something like this. Can't find the pictures now, so I'll "verbal" it. Cut a section out of the middle. Tap threads into each piece and put in threaded rod. Two nuts go in the middle of the threaded rod to lock against the original side stand pieces, or weld one side and use one lock nut. You now have an adjustable side stand. I assume you can find the parts there. This works on a DR650 side stand. I'm also making the assumption that the KTM side stand is thick walled enough to do this.
I had exactly that in mind, but the original stand is long gone. It had a Trailtech stand on it when I bought it from Justin, but the Cambodians killed that when they were washing it in Phnom Penh (they swivelled the bike around on the stand and it collapsed). After a few repairs to that, we modified a scooter sidestand in some remote town. Lengthened it, but not enough.

The guys here in Chiang Mai that I've used before to do some work don't speak English, so the idea of an adjustable one was a bit beyond them. They chopped out the middle of the old scooter one... welded in a new section of tube. Seems strong... works.... misses the swingarm. What more could I ask?

I got local price too... 150 baht (under $5 including materials). I gave the welder and the guy who did the rest a 50 baht tip to share - much appreciated by them too.

Some more examples of their work

One of the staff's bikes

Had to laugh when I saw this guy yesterday.... combat helmet on a motorbike.... still, its better than the other guy

... gotta go. Final preps needed to get me on the road towards Laos tomorrow

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #729
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Had a false start in Nan yesterday... started bike, loaded it... then it wouldn't start once I had all my gear on. I guess it got a gut full of water from the massive rain dump in the morning. Charged the battery, drained the carby and had a relaxing day - at Tony's Place - Riders Corner, Nan. Started fine every time today. Bloody rain. Must park under cover.

Crossed the border today and am in Hongsa for a few days. Poor bugger at the border seemed horrified that I had an over-stayed bike... I told him to fine me... but he rang his boss, then told me I had to pay a fine. No worries... he seemed relieved in the end. I'm learning at borders too... write down the rego number, bike make and colour on a separate piece of paper, because when you hand over the registration papers, their eyes glaze over... and they can't decipher it.

Photos later. Back in snake territory... two today. Couple of close shaves on corners too. Bastards.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 05-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #730
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
the US helmets used to have a f'glas insert and web liner ,I donot know about today
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:21 AM   #731
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Hi folks... I'm still out here.

I'm in northern Laos at present. internet is too thin... I can't get into P'Bucket.... and I've got some great video too... but it has to wait until I can edit it down. I ended up riding some scary shit... about 300 mm wide with a bit of bamboo holding it together... and a 400' or more drop if you went off. Uggh.

Rode dirt from Hongsa to here... in Nong Khiaw now. Thinking of an excursion tomorrow towards the Vietnam border. My three maps all disagree on what's there.

The bike isn't right... not sure what's going on... sounds bad, runs great... but I have to kick start it in the morning, which rattles the titanium in my leg a tad.

Tried PB again... and I'm in. Some teasers

This is the first of two jugs of Lao Hai alcohol... I slept where I sat where I drank. Let's discuss the dog for dinner later.

There's a lot to write about

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 05-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #732
Telkwa7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Absolutely great reading! Your travels are very inspiring.
I will be doing a similar route as part of a RTW. After much searching for Carnet requirements and conflicting information, can I ask if you had to present a Carnet for any Southeast Asian country? I know one is required for Australia.
Thanks and best of luck in your ongoing adventure.
Telkwa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:17 PM   #733
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telkwa7 View Post
Absolutely great reading! Your travels are very inspiring.
I will be doing a similar route as part of a RTW. After much searching for Carnet requirements and conflicting information, can I ask if you had to present a Carnet for any Southeast Asian country? I know one is required for Australia.
Thanks and best of luck in your ongoing adventure.
Hi and thanks. Yes, you will need a carnet for parts of SE Asia. I used mine in Timor-Leste, Indonesia and Malaysia. Not needed for Thailand, Laos or Cambodia. I haven't gone into China (I'm toying with flying in and buying a bike) or India. India is a bit more complex. The other countries I mentioned require 150% bike value insurance. India want 400%.... which will impact the cost of your carnet significantly.

Now, a quick update. I've ridden some brilliant roads this trip. I'm just back in touch after 4 days with no wifi. I'll be doing photos, report etc when I get a few other things sorted and get somewhere with better wifi than here.

I changed plans somewhat a couple of times along the way. The bike wasn't sounding right.... sometimes... but not all the time. I checked the tappets... and they were OK. It was weird. Sit on the bike and it sounded funny. Get near the engine, it sounded fine. I noticed some gas blowout at the exhaust join... thought it might be related.

I decided, after getting as far NE in Laos as Muang Ngoi, that I'd head back to Thailand, but would go to Boten again on the way to see how much had changed.

I was 4km from the China border and the bike coughed and seized. I was somewhat lucky there... as the ride from Oudomsay to Boten is a magical one.... lovely corners with mountain views... and big drops off the side. If it had seized mid corner... things might have got interesting.

I had two days sitting on my arse, with no wifi waiting, waiting, waiting. I'll tell the whole story later. Quite an interesting process... but short story is, a 28 hour truck ride with one hour's sleep... and I've been dumped on the outskirts of Vientiane. I'm about 10 km from Fuark's... and I'll get the bike there and whip the engine out.

This time, I'll be the head mechanic. I'll report back when I know what's gone wrong. The plan is to take the engine out, strip it here... and I'll fly out with what I need to work on. That may change, of course.

Ride through Oz and Asia
Old 05-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #734
RiderRick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Looking forward to the complete story, sounds like you have had an interesting time!

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

http://riderrick.wordpress.com/
RiderRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #735
The Bigfella OP
Big Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRick View Post
Looking forward to the complete story, sounds like you have had an interesting time!
Yeah.... my body is telling me its been interesting too.

Hey - before I forget about it, something worthwhile to note. Something bit me on the arse the other night (should have been in my silk bag, I guess).

Was starting to rot a bit by morning. I hit it with Betadine and Daktarin and it seems my buttock stopped rotting. Some things are worth packing, despite the extra weight.

I'm at the bike shop now. Mechanic is sidetracked for a few minutes

Ride through Oz and Asia