Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2012, 07:04 PM   #151
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
I DVRd the race this weekend. Should I watch it?
it's not bad, just nothing too overwhelming. lots of yellow begetting yellow.

a couple of decent passes.

if you're a sato fan then it's not a bad race.

i don't get the impression that the indycar engineers have a great grasp on the whole 2 or 3 stop strategy for some reason. might be the limitations on the fuel cell.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #152
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,086
New cars hit the track at Indy on Sunday. I'm looking forward to it. I wonder what kind of TV coverage it will get?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #153
wxwax
Excited Member

I'd read that some folks were worried about getting the new car over 220mph at Indy. It had been slow and they were concerned about the PR impact.

The situation's still not ideal -- the Lotus is really poor -- but 14 cars have now gone 220 or better since practice started on Sunday. Marco Andretti has done a 223.

Poor old Simona. Best lap is 210. I wonder how much that dog of a Lotus engine is hurting her career prospects?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #154
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,198
I'll be surprised if more than 2-3 cars exceed 220 in qualifying. So far all the top times have been aided by a tow.

We may even see a sub 200 33rd qualifier (some former F1 guy).

Count me as unimpressed and disappointed. Both cars and engines should have had a full season of testing prior to being thrown into the deep end.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #155
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,646
http://www.bigirlfan.com/bif/?p=66

Quote:
MAy is finelly here
May 16, 2012 9:58 pm
ANd dang it I been workin my but off at teh JIffy LUbe. DOnt even got the innernet there to wach live streeming from the track. HElles BElls theres only so much to the MOnth of MAy and I got to work. BUt HOley COw waht a month it has been. SO much has happened. Egspecially this week. WOw. MOst months the bumping dont start until qualfications are over but this year it begunned now. DRIvers getting bumped out of rides and then back in. ENGines getting bumped. BOOst getting bumped. AN I got some bumps last night at the CLassy CHassy hahahahahah WHo knows who is gone to be 33? MAn it was never liek this. NEver. THis is INdyCAr drama baby. THe GRand OLd LAdy of SPeed is the DRama MAma.

SO waht can I say? THe safest car ever to rae at INDy is now racing at INDy. HEre we are on the 16th of MAy and only one littel wreck. AInt never happened before liek this. IN years past some hobo woud have hit the wall a week ago. BUT not this year. THAt is safety. NO matter what safety looks like this is perty. WE got engine competition even if they is all turbos. BUt there our turbos. RUnning under INDy CAR rules. hahahahahahaha SUck on the PAul TRAcey. hahahahahahaha

INdyCAr has turned a corner or actully four. SPonsors are linin up to sponsor the walls at INDy. THey know thats gone to be a big hit. You got teh FUzzys and something else. I forget. BUT there will be more. CAn you amaione a big red bullseye in TURn 1 from TArget. YEh baby I can. ANd maybe some local SPeedway merchants can advertize aslo liek the MUg n BUn and UNion JAcks and CHarlie BRowns and maybe COnkles. RIGht smack on the wall. TARget, CONkles, POW, its all good.

ANd for the first time ever NAtional TIRe is sposnerng the grass at INDy. hahahahahahahah THAt rocks. NONe of this ever happened when CARt ranned here. NO sirree BOb. NOt at all. THe new INDy CAr is workin baby. ITs hittin on all 6 cylinders.

ANd this weekend the crowds shoud be ennormulous. WHen ever will they see so much horesepowers at INDy this year? BEsides the pace car that is. JUst think a bout that. THe winner of this years INDy 500 will win a pace car just liek always. BUt this pace car gots more horsepowers than the race cars. WOw! WHO woudnt want that? NEver before in the histry of INdy has that happened Im sure. WINning!!

SO stay tuned race fans. IF the frist half of MAy is any indercation this is gone to be a action packed month. ANd Im on the TWitter also. CHEck me out @BigIrlFan

BIf#
At least May still holds a tiny bit of entertainment.
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #156
wxwax
Excited Member

I see that they're going to increase the boost. Was that planned all along, or is it a response to how well the new car has handled the current level of boost?

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-19-2012, 03:32 AM   #157
10-96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
It was planned. But I suspect it is likely they were running low boost so fewer engine problems will occur and fewer crashes. They have a parts supply problem and want to try to ensure 33 cars are in the race.
10-96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #158
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,760
One Honda and 8 Chevy's in the top nine. They're running around 225 mph. I wish that they'd keep the boost at it's current level.

What's happened to Dario Franchitti? He qualified 16th. Some of the things he said after DW died makes me wonder if his heart's really in it.

Edit: Brisco just raised the bar above 226. His top speed was 233

lewismedlock screwed with this post 05-19-2012 at 01:54 PM
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:20 AM   #159
wxwax
Excited Member

So much for Honda building an Indy-specific engine. They haven't been fast all week.

10-96, thanks. Makes perfect sense.

lewis, interesting theory about Dario. He's been bad even on safe street courses. Sure is a steep drop in form.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #160
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,123
A boost increase for Lotus is overdue.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #161
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
A boost increase for Lotus is overdue.
That's assuming it can handle an increase without going boom.
viajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:21 PM   #162
wxwax
Excited Member

I agree with the twose of youse.

Man, they opened up a fire hose of fines for various misdeeds in the Indy garages. No grid places lost, though.

I guess the cheating is a good sign; that they're getting more comfy with the car.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #163
wxwax
Excited Member

This is a really good story from AP writer Jenna Fryer on Dan Wheldon's widow returning to Indy this weekend.

Susie Wheldon has been going through a lot, obviously. Death is often hardest on those left behind. Fryer's story describes it with sensitivity and heart. Highly recommended.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #164
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,760
Thanks Waxy.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #165
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
This is a really good story from AP writer Jenna Fryer on Dan Wheldon's widow returning to Indy this weekend.

Susie Wheldon has been going through a lot, obviously. Death is often hardest on those left behind. Fryer's story describes it with sensitivity and heart. Highly recommended.
That was in my morning paper. Agree, a well done story. Hope she is at Sunday's race.

On the way to Indy tomorrow AM. First time and really excited.

Here's hoping for some relief from the expected heat!
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote