User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #181
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,726
That was a heck of a race!

I guess Honda really did build an Indy engine.

I don't feel bad for either Sato or Andretti. A leopard can't change its spots. Both of them share the same flaw: a lack of composure and judgment. And it bit them both. Andretti and Sato both went too low, trying to pass in a corner. They forced it. They lost it.

I can't believe how Franchitti came from 33d all the way back to the front. He had bad luck in that pit incident. I wish they'd shown more of him coming back through the field.

I'm not a huge fan of the new car. But goodness, it certainly produced a thrilling show at Indy!

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #182
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
I also think they may have sandbagged a bit early in the Indy process.
I have a hard time believing that, just because I can't see why they would. No benefit to doing so.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-27-2012, 02:17 PM   #183
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the new car. But goodness, it certainly produced a thrilling show at Indy!

Me either, not sure how mudflaps got put on an IndyCar, but it was the best race at Indy in many moons.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #184
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 13,120
Quote:

I don't feel bad for either Sato or Andretti. A leopard can't change its spots. Both of them share the same flaw: a lack of composure and judgment. And it bit them both. Andretti and Sato both went too low, trying to pass in a corner. They forced it. They lost it. !
I agree with your take on Marco. His grandfather was arguably the greatest drive ever, and his dad almost as good as Mario. But at least for now, Marco is his own worst enemy.

I'd like nothing more that to see Marco and Graham become dominant drivers in the series.

In a series that seems to be full of guys with class, TK stands above the rest. I really want him to win the 500.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #185
sneakyB
Blazin Boss Hog

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
There should be fines and penalties for that...stupid, could have killed somebody.

Just too aggresive, he could have won the whole thing.
I'm extremly angry that Conway went back on the track with a broken wing right after crashing into 3 pit crew.

First, his car was obviously bent up. The manager said he was planning to take it back into the pits to replace the wing. They KNEW it was broken, yet they were too lazy/scared/irresponsible to replace it right then and there. Yea, it would have taken time, but he would have been SAFE.

Instead, the emotionally charged driver in the physically compromised car went back onto the track and took out one of THE BEST drivers, Will Power in the #12. Inexcusable.

Conway & his manager better be realizing how lucky they are to not have killed someone - between the pit crew and the field of drivers.
sneakyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #186
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,564
Quote:
That was a heck of a race!

I guess Honda really did build an Indy engine.

I don't feel bad for either Sato or Andretti. A leopard can't change its spots. Both of them share the same flaw: a lack of composure and judgment. And it bit them both. Andretti and Sato both went too low, trying to pass in a corner. They forced it. They lost it.

I can't believe how Franchitti came from 33d all the way back to the front. He had bad luck in that pit incident. I wish they'd shown more of him coming back through the field.

Sato has been a consistent crashing idiot his whole Indy car career. As Scott Dixon said afterwards that he was surprised that Sato lasted as long as he did with the way he was driving.
I'm sure if I looked back at his short F1 career he probably sucked then too.

All 3 of Franciti's Indy wins were with yellow flags.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #187
lewismedlock

SneakyB is right about Conway, or at least about the team.

It certainly wasn't his decision to go back out, so the blame is on AJF. The team should have to sit for a couple of races.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #188
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green hell View Post
cars sound ok, nice turbo whine, but somewhat subdued or refined.
Thanks. Same as TV, then.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #189
wxwax
Excited Member

Some good news. Looks like IndyCar was rewarded for putting a good product on TV.

Quote:
Early television ratings are showing this year's Indianapolis 500 had more viewers than any time since 2008.

Based on the numbers provided by Neilsen Media Research and ESPN, Sunday's race attracted nearly 6.9 million viewers and drew a 4.34 share. The 2011 race, won by the late Dan Wheldon, drew a 4.03 share...

Series officials say the 4.34 share for Sunday's race, the third victory for Dario Franchitti, was the best showing since Scott Dixon won the race in 2008.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1wIXLNYuC

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #190
wxwax
Excited Member

If IndyCar owners were dogs, they're tear each apart. Unbelievable.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #191
lewismedlock

Quote:
Watchatalkinabout, Willis?
Old 06-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #192
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
Watchatalkinabout, Willis?
Trying to get Bernard fired. Some think it's Michael Andretti.

Love him or hate him, at least Bernard is giving IndyCar leadership and direction. He's light years better than his predecessor. To want to oust him over the Chevy-Honda turbo decision is short-sighted and acting like a spoiled child.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 06-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #193
r77toy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
"acting like a spoiled child" sounds like Michael.
A photographer friend was standing with Michael Andretti when he was doing his rookie orientation, another rookie was marveling at the number of fans there, Andretti's response was " them fuckers better not ask for MY autograph".
r77toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #194
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,945
Quote:
Quote:
Trying to get Bernard fired. Some think it's Michael Andretti.

Love him or hate him, at least Bernard is giving IndyCar leadership and direction. He's light years better than his predecessor. To want to oust him over the Chevy-Honda turbo decision is short-sighted and acting like a spoiled child.
for all the tg hate, the owners were just as culpable for the split. lots of politics and side deals going on.

bernard is learning (some very hard lessons) on the fly. not great, not bad. the money has all moved to nascar, and until they manage to get some big sponsors and lots of eyeballs back it's going to be a struggle.

lots of good drivers, but the rivalries just aren't what they used to be: chevy v ford, unser v andretti, foyt v everyone, lola v march...

the 500 was pretty damn good this year, and the sato thing added to the drama. tk had a great run at the end and got the crowd on it's feet as well.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #195
joef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Sato has been a consistent crashing idiot his whole Indy car career. As Scott Dixon said afterwards that he was surprised that Sato lasted as long as he did with the way he was driving.
I'm sure if I looked back at his short F1 career he probably sucked then too.

All 3 of Franciti's Indy wins were with yellow flags.
Correct on Sato
joef is offline   Reply With Quote