ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2012, 02:09 PM   #226
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,633
Great race today. Green flag racing all the way, with lots of passing. I would have liked to have seen Tag hold on for a podium finish, but he couldn't hold his position driving on old red tires. It was good to see Sato racy at the end against Castroneves, but also keeping his cool. Power comes all the way from 17th to finish third. Chevrolet will win the engine championship this year, but Honda took 6 of the top 10 spots today.

The points race is tight, the remainder of the season should be good.

lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #227
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 72,261
Funny hearing Sato's radio on the last few laps. They kept telling him to bring it home. I guess they were worried he'd make a crazy move and wreck his car again.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #228
lewismedlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Funny hearing Sato's radio on the last few laps. They kept telling him to bring it home. I guess they were worried he'd make a crazy move and wreck his car again.
I also believe that he used his PTP when he was told not to.

I can't imagine having a better voice in my ear than Bobby Rahal.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #229
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,902
much like the last couple of races, sonoma seemed kind of sterile, or clinical, or something. there was some good overtaking, but everyone got all spread out.

and then bourdais punted newgarden and things got delightfully messy.

it does seem that drivers are now much more familiar and comfortable with their cars are driving with a bit more aggression. most of them seem a bit smarter about things too, although tagliani really screwed the pooch unless something went wrong. he was way too hot into that corner.

needless dickery
green hell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #230
wxwax
Excited Member

Newgaren took a hard double whack. I was glad to see that he was OK. Bourdais had a nice run going. I was surprised that he said he didn't know why he ran off. Pity there was no challenge for the lead on the track.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #231
wxwax
Excited Member

I wonder if Rubens might compete for the title next season?

He said he underestimated the difficulty of learning a season full of new tracks. Once he got to Sonoma, where he'd tested, he was extremely competitive and got a 4th.

Assuming his equipment is decent next season, he might be a surprise contender, although taking the title away from Penske or Ganassi seems unlikely.

Quote:
I thought that I would get familiar quite easily with things. But it’s quite a lot different, just the driving. Some of the tracks are very, very different from Europe.

If we had eight races, I said that before, on new tracks, then eight races again on those tracks, I think I would have done much better.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #232
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,190
Another fiasco in Baltimore, with cars doing bad impressions of World Rally jumps. Who the hell signs off on these tracks?

This is not the way to capture additional, and much needed, sponsorship, much less the respect of the racing communityand fans.

There are numerous natural terrain road courses I would prefer to see them race on.
viajero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #233
wxwax
Excited Member

In the "most beautiful f1 cars" thread, someone was bemoaning that these days, if the track isn't as flat as a billiard table, drivers and owners piss and complain about it. The poster missed the days when tracks had "character."

I hadn't really thought about it until reading that post. I guess I accepted that smoother was better. But truth to tell, I watch for exciting racing. And if a bumpy track leads to more unpredictable racing, I'm all for it. I would add that IndyCar runs a lot of races -- maybe the majority -- on less than perfectly flat tracks.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #234
wxwax
Excited Member

Here's the post in question, with cool photo for evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post

I kinda miss this sort of action. Back in the day, they actually raced on roads, bumps and all. Now, even the street circuits have to be smooth as silk or the team owners whine like little babies.

The only real racing left is the Isle of Mann TT.....

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #235
wxwax
Excited Member

ps I'm not saying that this is a proper racing surface, though.

Quote:
Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports' Simon Pagenaud got almost two feet in the air with his front tires after 'yumping' over the tracks, crashing down hard and injuring his spine.

"I saw sky," he told SPEED.com, "then I crashed down and all of the force went through my back, my spine. I'm in some pain."

Speaking with Pagenaud approximately 30 minutes later, the pain had migrated to his neck. "I feel it in my neck and head, "he said. "I'll need to get it all worked out tonight, for sure."

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #236
lewismedlock

I really enjoyed the race today. Fontana should be a nice finale for the season. Neither WP or RHR is know to be a big threat on ovals, although I seem to recall RHR has won at Iowa.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:54 PM   #237
green hell
yawning or snarling

i wasn't really digging the chicane until i saw it through rhr's in-car camera. i don't know if they modified it from qualification, but it definitely straightens out a bit more than i thought. those drivers taking it so wide yesterday weren't doing themselves any favors.

i'm watching the race on tivo right now, and the threat of rain is making things interesting.

needless dickery
Old 09-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #238
wxwax
Excited Member

That was pretty entertaining! Both the race itself, and the meta-theme of the points race. A tasty sprinkle of rain turned a Power-fest into a scrambled field and lots of passing and entertainment.

Sato and Briscoe -- both leading -- both screwed up their restarts. Both seemed to think that by going slow they'd force the others to go slow and wait on them to hit the gas. Not so. Once that green flag waves, devil take the hindmost. Neither Sato nor Briscoe seemed to realize that.

Shoot me, I like the Baltimore street track, and I usually hate street courses. Even that makeshift chicane on the "front" straight was entertaining.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #239
green hell
yawning or snarling

that was a good race. messy, plenty of overtaking, some controversy, lots of leaders, and it kicks the points championship to fontana.

it is an interesting course. i would like to see a chicane that looks slightly less half-assed. the hair pin provided some good passing, and the changes from last year's layout seemed fine.

the fuel situation coupled with the yellow flags added some drama, and watching power fade at the end was just a little icing on the cake.

needless dickery
Old 09-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #240
glepore
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Was there, high in right edge of t1 grandstand, good view of apex...

The good: easy movement around course, frequent opening of track level crossings to avoid bridge, great dining at many real restaurants inside infield, light crowd made for laid back atmosphere, maybe the pass of the season (Pagenaud's into 1), interesting race all the way thru with the rain, tires, Power fading and returning, restarts etc, and Sato of all people running away for a bit, no hard rain...

The bad: light crowd due to low walk-up gate with weather forecast, poor course planning leading to Pagenaud almost breaking his back in practice, uncertainty as to whether race will return

I'll definitely be back. The course led itself to a fair degree of passing given its a street circuit. Hopefully the race will return next season with a longer planning window for marketing-the uncertainty up until 90 days before race date was unneeded stress for both promoters and ticket buyers.
glepore is offline   Reply With Quote