Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2012, 01:36 PM   #241
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Was there, high in right edge of t1 grandstand, good view of apex...

The good: easy movement around course, frequent opening of track level crossings to avoid bridge, great dining at many real restaurants inside infield, light crowd made for laid back atmosphere, maybe the pass of the season (Pagenaud's into 1), interesting race all the way thru with the rain, tires, Power fading and returning, restarts etc, and Sato of all people running away for a bit, no hard rain...

The bad: light crowd due to low walk-up gate with weather forecast, poor course planning leading to Pagenaud almost breaking his back in practice, uncertainty as to whether race will return

I'll definitely be back. The course led itself to a fair degree of passing given its a street circuit. Hopefully the race will return next season with a longer planning window for marketing-the uncertainty up until 90 days before race date was unneeded stress for both promoters and ticket buyers.
Great to her a mostly positive review from someone who was there. Thanks. Last year HarveyMushman was there and came back with a scathing review. Glad to see you enjoyed this year's event. I'd wondered whether or not the forecast was responsible for the empty seats.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #242
wxwax
Excited Member

Wow, that was an exciting climax to the season. Came down to the last lap for Hunter-Reay to win the title. The whole time he was racing Sato, I was thinking he'd rather be beside anyone else in the field. And sure enough, Sato wrecks. Luckily, he didn't take out Hunter-Reay.

Bad luck for Power, but he was responsible for his own fate, wiping out unassisted. Frankly, what a shock that someone other than Penske or Ganassi won the overall. Good for the series.

Great race, great end to the season. Isn't it good they wrap it up on an oval? So much more exciting than a street or road course.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 09-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #243
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,924
and ed carpenter winning the race was nice too, especially after his poor start.

i watched it on tivo today, know that rhr won the series, but not who won the race. still a lot of drama just waiting it out to the finish.

lots of unassisted yellows. don't know if people were pushing too hard, or if they just forgot how to drive on an oval.

i'd bet next year gets closer to "normal" as penske and ganassi get all the details of the new cars worked out. still, the set-up for road and street courses can vary enough to keep the little guys in it.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #244
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 829
WGAF .....not sure which is better, the end of the season or good bye Boob Jenkins.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #245
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
. . . or good bye Boob Jenkins.
He was doing some PA work at the Indy MotoGP round. Embarrassing.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #246
Rapid One
The name says it all

Oddometer: 231
Bob Jenkins is stepping away from the microphone at the end of this season, his wife is in very poor condition with cancer and he is going to care for her full time. He may be a bit distracted due to his wife's illness.

I know Bob Jenkins, I've worked with Bob Jenkins and you will never find a more knowledgable, articulate and passionate man when it comes to commentating on motor sports of any kind.

Shut your pie holes!!!!!
Rapid One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #247
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,659
Ruh Roe! Another Hooooosier is offended when a paid shill of the hickyard isn't treated with nearly religious respect and deference. What shall we do?
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #248
Rapid One
The name says it all

I've got an idea Dago, go hump yourself. Did you bother to read any of the points that I made. You guys are heartless and ill informed.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #249
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid One View Post
I've got an idea Dago, go hump yourself. Did you bother to read any of the points that I made. You guys are heartless and ill informed.
I know nothing about the man or his wife, so "heartless" is a bit wide of the mark. I do know he mispronounced just about every foreign name that crossed his lips over MotoGP weekend, so the "Boob" comment resonated with me.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #250
Rapid One
The name says it all

Heartless isn't wide of the mark as far as Dago's comment after being informed about the situation. As far as mispronouncing names I can tell you stories about being thrown into a broadcast booth with no information whatsoever and being expected to cross every T and dot every I.
You should try it sometime.

Did you read the part where he is undoubtedly distracted by his wife's failing health?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 AM   #251
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 395
A guy can be an utter tool, but, if he's been working while his wife is most likely dying and has decided to stop broadcasting?. He deserves a break. Your turn will come in one fashion or another.
Ace100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:16 AM   #252
wxwax
Excited Member

When Bob Jenkins took over the mic for IndyCar, the broadcasts took an immediate step up in professionalism.

Sure, he can sometimes be a bit of a fumblemouth. But he came across as a classy, dignified, knowledgable and thoroughly decent man. I liked him. I'm very sorry to hear that his wife is so ill. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

I do think it was time for a change. But I'll miss Bob Jenkins' friendliness, good spirit and the overall good vibe he gave the IndyCar broadcasts.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 10-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #253
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,659
Amid on going rumors of Randy Bernard being replaced since mid-season; the latest from the gang that can't shoot straight at 16th and Jonestown Rd:

Dateline: Oct 12, 2012

Tony George makes an offer to buy mIndyCar Notably, no "Partners" are yet willing to come forward.

Quote:
Following an SBJ story two weeks ago that claimed George was making an offer, Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Jeff Belkus issued a statement that nobody had made any offers and it really didn’t matter because the series was not for sale.

He reiterated that stance Friday: “IndyCar is not for sale.”
Dateline: Oct 19, 2012

Tony George resigns from Hulman & Company board.

Quote:
"Tony George has made the difficult decision to resign from the board because of his involvement with a group that has recently expressed an interest in purchasing the Hulman & Company-owned INDYCAR organization," said Jeff Belskus, Hulman & Company president and CEO. "While the business is not for sale and no offers to sell it have been considered or are being considered, we applaud Tony's efforts to resolve the appearance of a conflict and appreciate the gravity of this decision."
Quote:
"I realize that my recent efforts to explore the possibility of acquiring INDYCAR represent the appearance of a conflict, and it is in everyone's best interest that I resign from the Hulman & Company board," George said. "It goes without saying that I want to do what is best for this organization."
I think Tony added that last line just for laughs. But really, who knows?

Dateline: Oct 18, 2012
This stokes much gnashing of tooths in Naptown.
Quote:
And now it appears some kind of offer has been dangled in front of the board, despite the continued contention from IMS boss Jeff Belskus that “IndyCar is not for sale.”

Of course why would it be for sale? The Indianapolis 500 and IndyCar are joined at the hip and why in the name of Joe Cloutier would IMS ever want to answer to somebody else after the 13-year war over that very subject?

Yet isn’t it ironic that the guy who resented CART so much--a series where the car owners controlled the series, that he started the Indy Racing League is now proposing a plan where some car owners and other outsiders own the series?
Dateline: Oct 21, 2012
The toofs, taking an unmerciful beating, cry out for explanation. Place fans need to know that troof, justice and the marion county way will prevail.
Quote:
By nature, auto racing press releases always contain some of the most creative writing you will ever read because the quotes are either scripted or laced with saccharine or miles from the truth.

Like the one from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway last week concerning Tony George’s resignation from the Hulman & Company board of directors.
Dateline: Oct 26, 2012
Despite protestations that there is no fire, trees keep disappearing amid clouds of smoke.

Quote:
quote issued by Doug Boles of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on Friday afternoon.

“Randy has not been terminated and his employment status is the same as it was last week and last month,” said Boles. “At this point, Randy is not fired. That is the case in the moment and in the future.”
Dateline: Still Oct 26th
These solemn proclamations failed to sooth the savage beasts. (But at least the title was honest!)
Quote:
Bernard is smart guy and he understands that status quo in Indy car racing will be death because the “strategies” of the past couple visionaries in IRL and Champ Car haven’t worked.

But instead of support all he gets is a ration of $#%& from all sides at all times. And he gets “fired” almost every week since last June.

Nobody in their right mind would take this thankless job with all the whiny car owners, family politics, back stabbers and second-guessing experts.
See? That's the kind of entertainment that keeps 'em coming back for more!

Dateline, today. Sunday Oct 28, 2012:

Hey, remember all those denials we just made? Um, yeah....
Quote:
Belskus said on Sunday that a search for Bernard's replacement will now take place, although no timetable was given, and plans for the 2013 season will continue uninterrupted.

“The organization is full of talented professionals, and we will continue to prepare for what will be a very exciting 2013 racing season,” Belskus said.

“Once again, INDYCAR is not for sale, and the organization remains completely committed to owning and operating INDYCAR.”

After witnessing the gradual public dismantling of IndyCar's most recent CEO, Belskus could find naming Bernard's successor somewhat challenging.

So, in an "Emergency Meeting" on a Sunday, Randy Bernard has been fired. Well, sort of. He quit. Well, sort of. He'll still be employed for the remaining 2 years of his contract and be available in an "advisory" capacity. Sort of.

But 2013 is gonna be GRATE!

Dagofast screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 10:51 AM
Dagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #254
Wallace
Seat belt tight babe?

Oddometer: 829
you just can't make this sh*t up.......
Old 10-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #255
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,211
I've come to expect this sort of behavior from the IndyCar bunch. It appears that they are constantly pursuing a strategy aimed towards failure.

Why are they shoving Bernard off the cliff with no replacement already lined up?

This bunch defines disfunctional management.
viajero is online now   Reply With Quote