Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #256
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by viajero View Post
I've come to expect this sort of behavior from the IndyCar bunch. It appears that they are constantly pursuing a strategy aimed towards failure.

Why are they shoving Bernard off the cliff with no replacement already lined up?

This bunch defines disfunctional management.
Oh, I amagione they gots one lined up. You just ain't gonna believe who it is.
Dagofast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:21 PM   #257
r77toy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
To paraphrase David Hobbs on Wind Tunnel last nite ;
"Shooting themselves in the foot isn't enough, they used a Machine Gun."
r77toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #258
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,718
Really, really disappointed to see Bernard go. He was the best thing to happen to that series in a very long time.

Roger Penske said it best:

“The board continues to show poor judgment,” he said. “I cannot believe we continue to turn ourselves upside down.”

Management by committee is a bad deal, especially if team owners have the ear of members of the board. Not surprisingly, IndyCar took this move without any plan in place. Typical bad management.

A pox on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Corp.

(The only bright spot in the last few weeks is that Simona DeSilvestro has landed a ride with a halfway decent team and is rid of Lotus. I hope she takes off next season.)

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #259
wxwax
Excited Member

Robin Miller, who likes to unload with both barrels, unloads with both barrels.

Quote:
In the 44 years I’ve covered Indy car racing, nothing compares to the spineless, devious and classless treatment of Randy Bernard. It was as unprofessional as it was unnecessary and certainly a black eye for a series that is the laughing stock of motorsports today...

And now all those self-serving assassins who plotted Bernard’s ouster can toast each other over cocktails while wearing a smirk. They make me wish I could change professions because I loathe them, what they’ve done and how they did it.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 10-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #260
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,515
+1 wxwax, I agree and it saddens me after seeing how well the new formula seemed to work this year. I am also happy to hear about Simona and wish her well.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #261
Rapid One
The name says it all

Oddometer: 229
A quick note to Dago and some of the others that were bashing Bob Jenkins and his racing commentary. His wife of over 40 years passed away a few days ago. The battle for his wife's life undoubtedly had some effect on his other passion-Motorports!!
Rapid One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #262
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid One View Post
A quick note to Dago and some of the others that were bashing Bob Jenkins and his racing commentary. His wife of over 40 years passed away a few days ago. The battle for his wife's life undoubtedly had some effect on his other passion-Motorports!!
I'm very sorry to her that. He must be going through a difficult time.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 11-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #263
wxwax
Excited Member

Reading Jeff Belskus pandering "stakeholders" over and over in his statement, and reading between the lines of Andretti's lukewarm statement when Bernard was canned, I see one thing very clearly: that dagger sticking out of Randy Bernard's back has Michael Andretti's fingerprints all over it.

Not that he or anybody else cares, but I'm done supporting Andretti's team. I hope the Ganassi/Penske Goliath smushes them on the track.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 11-02-2012, 04:38 PM   #264
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

The glaring omission in this (and all) articles is the failure to point out that there wasn't a damn thing Randy could do about those ridiculous part prices. Because Randy's employers stonewalled him all season as they are the ones getting a kickback from Dallara on every part sold. Does anyone; fans, owners or drivers really think Jeff Belskus (or insert name here) will be able to fix this issue? They are fools if they do. And placing 1, 2 or 3 levels of VP's between the CEO and the owners might better insulate the CEO. For awhile anyway, but it won't solve the underlying issue either. And the issue of parts costs will not go away. Because the FACT is; everyone is broke. Toeknee ruined the business model in 1996 with mommies checkbook and there simply IS NO MONEY in the sport anymore.

The Hulman/George family IS the problem. A friend said it best: They couldn't run a successful series prior to 1978 and continually since 1996 until today; they have proven they still can't run one.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #265
Dagofast
Full giggety ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid One View Post
Thanks for sending the news along, but I had already heard that she had passed. Condolences to Bob and all the families and friends.

Just for your edification, my opinion of Bob Jenkins was formed long before his wife ever became sick. Her loss, while sad, won't change that opinion.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #266
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagofast View Post
The Hulman/George family IS the problem. A friend said it best: They couldn't run a successful series prior to 1978 and continually since 1996 until today; they have proven they still can't run one.
If they can the boss every time an owner like Andretti complains, there's no hope. Leadership means withstanding criticism if there's a long-term gain involved.

Reading the garbage that Belskus put out just makes me angry. A part of me believes this series doesn't deserve to survive. Let it fail and maybe something better will rise from the ashes.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 11-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #267
viajero
Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer: 2,209
I'd like to see a series where Indy wasn't the be all / end all. To me it's just another track, another race. Those who run Indy have proven that they only care about their track and maintaining its supposed "heritage".

The glory days are long past, and it's time for some new leadership, with new visions. Dwelling on the past has proven to be detrimental to racing here in the USA.

This whole clusterfuck which is IndyCar has driven away manufacturers, sponsors, tv and fans. What else can go wrong?

I say remove Indy, the Hulmans and their pack of idiots from the equation and something might just get resolved.
viajero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #268
wxwax
Excited Member

Comparing IndyCar to F1 is like comparing pee wee football to the NFL. But one thing that works for F1 is that the team owners have to fight very hard to control the direction of the series. Bernie and the FIA crack the whip and the owners do well not to flinch.

It speaks to the job Bernie has done that in the middle of the recession, F1 was able to add three new teams.

By contrast, IndyCar is spineless. It boggles my mind that a pissy prima donna like Michael Andretti can get the CEO fired. That's just wrong. Absent being caught with spanky-minded hookers, Bernard should still have his gig and Andretti should be cowering at his feet.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 11-03-2012, 03:51 PM   #269
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,176
This pissed me off enough to actually send an email to Indycar.
I fired them, but I'm sur they'll ignore me like the rest of their former fans.
Reading Miller's Mailbag leads me to believe I'm not the only one who feels that way.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #270
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Comparing IndyCar to F1 is like comparing pee wee football to the NFL. But one thing that works for F1 is that the team owners have to fight very hard to control the direction of the series. Bernie and the FIA crack the whip and the owners do well not to flinch.

It speaks to the job Bernie has done that in the middle of the recession, F1 was able to add three new teams.

By contrast, IndyCar is spineless. It boggles my mind that a pissy prima donna like Michael Andretti can get the CEO fired. That's just wrong. Absent being caught with spanky-minded hookers, Bernard should still have his gig and Andretti should be cowering at his feet.
it hurts to say this, but the f1 model of ~benevolent dictatorship is what indycar needs. the team owners are out of control, the board is out of control, there is no obvious plan for positive continuation.

bernie is a total fuckwad, but democracy or bureaucracy just doesn't seem to work in motorsports.

other interesting tidbits...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/whats-p...8684--irl.html

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/georges...9746--irl.html

bernard was batting about .500 in my book, but there was some progress. this is a major hitch in that momentum, and it's going to be tough to recover.

ganassi's remarks make me wonder if he was involved as well.

Quote:
But team owner Chip Ganassi said this current storm has been blown out of proportion by the media and is much ado about nothing.
''Every year you've got the same old people asking the same old questions and the fact of the matter is IndyCar racing goes up and down with the rest of the economy. For five people in the press to be wound up about it, it is not really having the finger on the pulse of what's going on,'' he said Monday. ''Everything is fine. We have the same old problems today that we did before Randy got there. A lousy TV package, the same old gravitational problems any sport has today.
''It's the offseason and there's nothing else to talk about So everybody just take a deep breath.''

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote