ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
VEGASGSA OP
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,652
So, where to live?

Hey folks..my wife is looking at a transfer to the PNW..She would have stores along the 5 from Eugene, OR. to Everett Washington..

We could live where we want..mostly..Her new boss is suggesting Tacoma..I think tax wise we're better off in Oregon.. (car insurance, Property tax, registrations..etc..)

I'll have to find new employment..my background is in Construction..Welding, Welding business owner..and most recently a Construction Manager for a 5 state company..

Being close to riding..both for the GSA and the 2 stroke is IMPORTANT as is an airport for her..

Before Vegas we were in a county of 10,000 in Colorado and prefer small town life..

SUN..let's not forget SUN..the more the better..yes I know, it's gonna be wet..

What say you, you wet FF's?

Thanks and CHEERS!!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
bbagwell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Since an airport is important I would suggest somewhere near Portland. Lots of places to ride that aren't that far as well.
bbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,168
Try to estimate the total tax package, Oregon has state income tax, Wa. doesn't. Washington does have a 9.4~ % sales tax on most stuff. [ If you have a house remodelled, you would pay ~9.4 on the entire contract amount, eg. Oregon has no sales tax.

Most of the things you are used to in Vegas are going to be harder or more expensive to find in Puget sound area.

Check some of the other "where to live" threads here, some of your questions are likely answered.

Good luck.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
flying_hun
Moral Hazard

Oddometer: 299
Interesting. I'm not sure of the tax trade-offs. State income tax, but no sales tax versus no state income tax, but a bunch of other stuff. Don't know. Based on your other stated preferences, I would think somewhere north of Vancouver, WA. Maybe up towards Castle Rock or towards Chehalis. Not all that far from PDX. Access to good riding nearby. I think Tacoma is kind of far north for the geographic range of the stores she's got.

Good luck with the move.

TheFlyinghun Blog

EuroBARF 2014
flying_hun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 11,341
I'd shoot myself in the foot before moving to Tacoma.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
VEGASGSA OP
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Try to estimate the total tax package, Oregon has state income tax, Wa. doesn't. Washington does have a 9.4~ % sales tax on most stuff. [ If you have a house remodelled, you would pay ~9.4 on the entire contract amount, eg. Oregon has no sales tax.

Most of the things you are used to in Vegas are going to be harder or more expensive to find in Puget sound area.

Check some of the other "where to live" threads here, some of your questions are likely answered.

Good luck.
Gas and Motorcycles??

We don't go to the strip unless we have to..It will be weird not doing things late..this is a 24 hour town..but, we've only been here 5 years..so..feh..where we lived in Colorado..'twas 50 miles one way to work..and groceries..

I've been looking at them..THANKS!!!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
n16ht5
ride the night

Oddometer: 2,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
My thoughts exactly.

Stay away from lynnwood to olympia and you will be okay
n16ht5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
papaduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post

Being close to riding..both for the GSA and the 2 stroke is IMPORTANT as is an airport for her..

Before Vegas we were in a county of 10,000 in Colorado and prefer small town life..

SUN..let's not forget SUN..the more the better..yes I know, it's gonna be wet..
Redmond Oregon...
Airport and more sun than most, oh, and riding.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
VancouverBob
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Live in the Clark County area (Vancouver, Ridgefield, Battleground, etc). I live in Ridgefield and I'm 20 minutes from PDX which I think is one of the nicest airports in the country and I've traveled a lot. No state income tax in WA and close enough to Portland (25 minutes) to shop for any big ticket items sales tax free!

Tons of riding in all directions paved, unpaved and single track.
VancouverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,646
The lack of sun is going to be dramatic for you, unless you get into the rainshadow areas in the east.

Also keep this post in mind, which was posted by Uller on another AdvRider thread about the same topic:

http://nationalatlas.gov/articles/ge...canicrisk.html

Mount Rainier is one of the Most Hazardous Volcanoes in the United States
Although Mount Rainier has erupted less often and less explosively in recent millennia than its neighbor, Mount St. Helens, the proximity of large populations makes Mount Rainier a far greater hazard to life and property.
  1. The population at risk --More than 150,000 people reside on the deposits of previous lahars.
  2. The size and frequency of lahars --During the past few millennia lahars that have reached the Puget Sound lowland have occurred, on average, at least every 500 to 1,000 years. Smaller flows not extending as far as the lowland occur more frequently. If lahars of the future happen at rates similar to those of the past, there is at least a one in seven chance of a lahar reaching the Puget Sound lowland during an average human life-span.
  3. We may not have advance warning --USGS research shows that some lahars occur with little or no warning. Our only warning could be a report that a flow is under way.

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/...framework.html

Attached Images

Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
HighwayChile
greetings from Wa state

Oddometer: 4,256
info here is good but nobody can tell you but you. fly up, rent a car do some recon. some small towns are freakin fabulous, others are backwards inbred shit holes. waddya like to eat? food quality can range greatly. drinkin is covered where ever you go..

south of portland is decent, corvallis, salem etc.. to the east hood river , too far? windy but drier, colder. bend freakin rules on all accounts. some parts of washington are nice, but you must see the traffic first hand it can be mind numbing, also rent dont buy,
Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 PM   #12
turnsleft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,480
Quote:
You wouldn't have to, they do it for you.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 459
The advice about living in WA just north of the WA-OR border is what I'd listen to. No state income tax, zip across to OR for big ticket purchases, not far from PDX, lots of great riding in both states within @ hours, go east an hour to get sun in the winter... need I continue?
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Craig McCurdy
BIGMAC

Oddometer: 1,412
Quote:
+1
Craig McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
dhally
Hammerhead

Oddometer: 1,997
The entire I5 corridor is rainy but there is more partly clear weather near the Columbia River. There is also more wind and cold weather... take your pick.

Where will your wife's employment be located technically (where does the check orignionate)? If it's in Oregon she will pay Oregon income tax no matter where you live. If it's in Washington and you live in Oregon you will both pay Oregon income tax.

Due to the economy in the two states, you may need to locate near a city to find welding or construction work. Probably closer to Tacoma or Seattle. I thnk Portland is still in a recession. The commutes are hell through any of the cities - Olympia, Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, Portland, and even Salem to a certain extent.
dhally is online now   Reply With Quote