Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #31
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Snownut, et al. are getting away from the OP question which was about MEXICO INSURANCE
You lads are comparing rates for USA insurance and this is of NO use in Mexico , also you are confusing me by not giving the length of time covered by the rates in your examples- is that a year or a half year...a month ??? But pointless for Mexico question anyway.
I just did a post about this over on Is Mexico Safe..... here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...46927&page=747
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
Snownut
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Snownut, et al. are getting away from the OP question which was about MEXICO INSURANCE
You lads are comparing rates for USA insurance and this is of NO use in Mexico , also you are confusing me by not giving the length of time covered by the rates in your examples- is that a year or a half year...a month ??? But pointless for Mexico question anyway.
I just did a post about this over on Is Mexico Safe..... here
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...46927&page=747
Sjoerd Bakker, I apologize for posting in a manner which you found unacceptable and felt of no value to anyone. It seems that I am seeing more and more people being criticized for evidently not upholding a special standard, or high quality post which is acceptable to the all the viewers of this forum.. Its nice to feel so warm and welcome in a forum consisting of my two wheeled brothers and sisters on the road.. I could stick with lurking if that will meet your approval..

PS, post #28 indicates we were talking about 7 days, post #30 indicates the quote I received was from ACE Seguros a Mexican company (policy) who Mexadventure evidently is associated with..

Snownut screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 03:10 PM
Snownut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #33
operaflute
Starving Artist

Oddometer: 137
It may not have been clear that the AAA option I brought up was for Mexican Insurance. But you purchase it via the AAA Arizona website. No idea if that service offered through AAA in other states or Canada.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #34
Snownut
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaflute View Post
It may not have been clear that the AAA option I brought up was for Mexican Insurance. But you purchase it via the AAA Arizona website. No idea if that service offered through AAA in other states or Canada.
It was clear to me... Granted I had already investigated AAA and knew their quotes were through Mexican Insurance companies..

And from your post #25...

Quote:
Originally Posted by operaflute View Post
You can buy it online via Arizona AAA (Mexican Auto insurance) but you are correct - the providers are Mexican companies.

Snownut screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 01:01 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #35
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Whoa, slow down Snownut , lighten up and chill out , No need to take it so personally.Sheesh , if you are that sensitive you are in for a rough ride everywhere. It was just an off the cuff observation about keeping the posts on topic and clear enough in each post so as not to confuse readers who may just be entering the thread at some point without the need for them to analyse and collate all posts preceding.
PS did you really mean to say "invaluable" or ought that have been " not valuable". ?? Not quite the same meanings .

Sjoerd Bakker screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 02:04 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #36
Snownut
Adventurer

Quote:
Whoa, slow down Snownut , lighten up and chill out , No need to take it so personally.Sheesh , if you are that sensitive you are in for a rough ride everywhere. It was just an off the cuff observation about keeping the posts on topic and clear enough in each post so as not to confuse readers who may just be entering the thread at some point without the need for them to analyse and collate all posts preceding.
PS did you really mean to say "invaluable" or ought that have been " not valuable". ?? Not quite the same meanings .
Off the cuff observations are like assumptions and you are most likely aware of the problems they create. Almost any post that one jumps into could be misleading or lack understanding without investigating the larger portion of the post string. I personally wouldn't try to discredit or parent (ie children, we are off topic here) someones post without reading the entire post to understand what was being discussed. It has become clear that there are some very strong personalities on this board and I've become aware that some members are not willing to let someone else have an opinion. As well there are some extremely arrogant people here and I'm sorry to say I don't really have much toleration for arrogance.. I'm not accusing you of being arrogant, but indeed I may have been a little defensive because of the tone..

That being said, I do apologize IF I jumped the gun.. The yelling in your post may have been what threw me off..

What all does your book cover for Mexico, is it mostly Hotels?

Snownut screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 03:23 PM
Old 11-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #37
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Yelling ? oooops . Not being a computer owner nor twitettertweeter or boobtuber I had to sit and think for a moment and then it kind of dawned on me that I once heard that in those circles it is considered yelling ,I guess , if capital letters are used . I just as a habit put things in CAPITALS to give a bit of emphasis and clarity , not at all intended as screaming and hollering at anybody , .
It was only a bout a month ago that sombody showed me how to actually underline a word by hitting the U logo at the top left of this form when composing a post . But I am having no luck in repeating the various steps required so I just fall back to capitals. .
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=207964&page=7 gives more details than I can type in my limited computer time before supper.But my book has hundredds of hotel listings, and a pile of information for the beginning Mexico traveller

Cheers
Old 11-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #38
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,058
Just my two cents regarding SB's book(s). Worth its weight in gold.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #39
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,496
Quote:
AAA for Mexico CAR insurance or out of country HEALTH insurance ????
I have been dealing withh AAA /CAA for out of country health insurance a number of years .
AAA/CAA does not provide Mexican AUTO or Motorcycle insurance. There may be a few AAA outlets in US border areas which as a courtesy sideline might deal in Mexico Vehicle liability insurance ,I have heard, but they would still be selling insurance for MEXICAN registered insurance companies.
For health insurance CAA/AAA has now instituted a new questionaier for applicants and it contains a whole bunch of new questions which will weed out anybody with any kind of medical issue or force them into higher priced categories. Do you have a heartbeat ? Yes ? - sorry that is a pre - existing condition, you now qualify only for plan J
OK since we're all having fun today and it's not too often anyone can catch Sjoerd making a spelling mistake, it's actually questionnaire
Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #40
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,417
You all are getting fruitcakes for Christmas
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #41
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
SB you ARE!!! getting cantankerous in your old age? Take it easy on the guy!
FWIW & to get this (decidedly minor)"lively exchange" into perspective: Snohut , you've decided to reproach one of the most civil, helpful & seasoned Mexico travelers on ADV. I don't know that I've ever noticed any semblance of SB being what would be called fully pissed off, merely always willing to share benefit of his many travels via constantly monitoring these Mexico travel threads for those times he can interject a bit of wisdom via experience. To the point perhaps but not a dicey guy.

Now, getting back to the topic of Mexico travel insurance-I'd like to see a solution to the time of coverage/cost problem. On bike trips I've gone for over a month each time but far less than 6 months but end up paying for 6 months insurance as it's cheaper than the month at a time rate. My "ideal policy" would be one with a reasonable amount of liability & also theft coverage for the bike @ say $4-5k level- Solution is???

I've bought from several of the larger sellers(they all pretty much sell the same basic Mexico insurers) & I've have been told by seasoned ins. agents that high levels of liability are a waste in Mexico as they are generally not "sue crazy" as in USA.One guy salid in umpteen years in the business he'd never seen a suit over -it was less than $10k I've also read the opposite that you need high levels there too. Seems most Mexico policies don't allow bike theft coverage either.
SO: Time of coverage vs. costlogical amt. of liabilitytheft coverage???

BTW,I actually like fruitcake-the high dollar Corsicana,Texas kind-not the crappy dimestore version. Of course, fat chance that the above will send me one so said simply in defense of fruitcakes that are the "real ones"!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #42
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Chapter Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
I actually like fruitcake-the high dollar Corsicana,Texas kind....
.....he pined loudly, hoping that others at the reception on Francis' yacht would hear. He was slowly rocking back and forth in his burgundy Amedeo Testonis, as if for emphasis. Nancy couldn't help feeling transfixed. In fact, she wanted to give in to it, and to him. To her, luxury was like a drug, better than cocaine.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #43
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
A la chingada with the fruitcake for Christmas. I think Bob Loblaw needs to post the "Bob's woodshed" photo on this thread.

No! Nooooooooooo! NOT THE WOODSHED PHOTO! Yes, the woodshed is where they make the fruitcakes and is located in Matamoros, a place that Nancy visited once, was transfixed holding a stare like a deer caught in the headlights, a luxurious deer, and she gave in to Matamoros willingly.

Now, my contribution. Whatever Mex insurance you get, be damn sure it includes an "Amparo" and for a certain amount.
This should be made clear to you. The "amparo" is similar to a pre-paid bail bond so you don't sit around in jail waiting for investigators and reports etc... This is the single most important thing. Also, though it is strongly denied by some government types and attorneys here, is that the expenses you will incur for injuring someone will end up greater than for killing someone, in the long run. So will your time spent in jail. The "amparo" is your get out of jail card and don't forget that, ever.

For the record, when Sjoerd talks it is usually worth listening to. When he mentions a thick skin is your friend in Mexico, it is for a reason.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #44
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Chapter Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
A la chingada with the fruitcake for Christmas.....
.....he stammered merrily, just after as he let the remaining drops of tequila fall to his lips. He smacked them and smiled, catching his balance as best he could. He still wasn't able to understand why the taste of the brand was no longer crisp. As it often went, that was lost at the beginning of the evening, long after full shots were being drunk. The gallon bottle was empty now.....
Old 11-18-2012, 12:01 PM   #45
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
Great stuff!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote