User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
tomjrtsmith OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Paint stripping monoshock wheels

Clearly this may be a stupid question to ask, but I've searched the net and haven't been able to find a clear answer.

I have an 88 R80 and from the look of it, the wheels have been painted black at some stage to match the tank and fairing. Only problem is now the paint is starting to flake and there is what looks like yellow primer underneath, and when I gave the rims a squirt with a waterblaster the other day chunks of paint started flaking off. I suspect that the bike originally came with bare metal wheels as I don't think original BMW paintwork would have these quality issues.

I'm tempted to unbolt the wheels, take the tyres off and take the rims back to bare metal with some pretty heavy duty paint stripper. I prefer the look of the original metal rims anyway, and if I decide I don't like it I then have the option of powercoating the rims if I want them black again or silver.

Anyone have any advice on this? I don't know what the mono's wheels are made of; cast iron? alloy? Did the wheels originally have any coating on them at all, and is there any sort of paint stripper I definitely shouldn't use?

Any advice or anyone who has been down this road would be greatly appreciated

Tom
tomjrtsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 5,649
The silver wheels on my wife's r80 are painted or clear coated. I don remember which I just know they have some kind of finish on them.
If I was to strip the paint off i would use jasco the if that didn't work I'd source some aircraft stripper.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,358
Honestly, you need to "study up on wheels" as anyone that even suggests they might be cast iron has a lot to learn. No, I'm not trying to be short with you or "talk down" but I doubt there's ever been such a wheel on a MC, maybe a steel wheeled tractor or antique toy,that's all. Cast aluminum if they are cast wheels. As to finish , I have no idea but the black sounds tacky to me- w/stripes , even tackier!
Hopefully someone will steer you toward the original wheel finish for that bike. I'd get it off there and scrub them with a 3m pad and go from there... Aluminum is tough to get paint to adhere so be certain they are done right whatever you do. Hopefully the OEM finish is there underneath to do a refinish.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85

kantuckid screwed with this post 02-05-2013 at 06:10 AM
kantuckid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
They're aluminum for certain, try some good paint remover from Home Depot, I've used jasco brand and its good stuff.

For what it's worth, by the time you strip off the paint, you might be better off just having them powder coated a color/finish you like. They'll just blast off the shitty paint, and you'll have them back done ready to go
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot View Post
They're aluminum for certain, try some good paint remover from Home Depot, I've used jasco brand and its good stuff.

For what it's worth, by the time you strip off the paint, you might be better off just having them powder coated a color/finish you like. They'll just blast off the shitty paint, and you'll have them back done ready to go

BTW, I just had two BMW mag wheels powder coated locally and my cost was $210 which included masking off the mating surfaces as well as three discs all masked well. They did a stellar job and I feel it was worth it.

#3 - BMW Motorrad Mull aus der Hölle
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
Hookalatch
Old and in the way

Oddometer: 273
It is likely that the yellow you see under the black is an acid etch primer. Depending on how porous the casting is on your wheels it may be difficult to remove all evidence of the primer with just stripper. If you decide to repaint acid etch primer or an epoxy primer is the correct way to prep bare aluminum short of media blasting them.

I am setup for painting and am going the powder coat route on my wheels. In spite of having to pull the bearings it is enough superior in my opinion to warrant going this route. It isn't going to cost me a whole lot more than the proper painting materials.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote