Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2012, 11:03 AM   #76
surtees
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I like the looks of those shocks - how did you know you needed new ones? I used EBC FA22 organic pads - I have 40mm calipers and the 13 mm MC - So if my calculations are correct I have an MC/piston ration of about 14. 7 while your system would be 18.9. I was aiming for around 14 but it is a pretty long travel. When yours is together it will be interesting to compare notes.
surtees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #77
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
I measured them against the Konis, they are the same. Guess I could measure the old stock Boge's and compare, I'll do that this afternoon. I ordered through Tom Cutter, gave him all the required info (rider wt., passenger wt., etc.) and he had them set up for my bike.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #78
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surtees View Post
I like the looks of those shocks - how did you know you needed new ones? I used EBC FA22 organic pads - I have 40mm calipers and the 13 mm MC - So if my calculations are correct I have an MC/piston ration of about 14. 7 while your system would be 18.9. I was aiming for around 14 but it is a pretty long travel. When yours is together it will be interesting to compare notes.
One of the old Konis was leaking. Looked into rebuilding the Konis, but Tom Cutter had a better idea. He said the old Koni is an outdated technology and the new YSS shock is better.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #79
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by surtees View Post
How does one calculate the leverage? Seems like it is a simple ratio of (area of caliper piston)(2*) / (area of MC piston). I don't know how to type out arithmetic formulas on my keyboard --- pi x r-squared = A.
*for two calipers
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #80
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
They look short in the photos?
I measured the stock Boges, the Konis, and the YSS's, they are the same length.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #81
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,030
lots of details... both front hoses on my R9S were plugged solid. had new hoses made up locally for about $40 for two. both calipers worked fine with no leaks after sitting for 30 years. so left them alone.

with 7,300 miles on bike, both pads looked almost new, so running 37 year old front pads. those will be replaced soon to get fresh pad material.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:06 PM   #82
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,015
Photos can be deceiving but I know since way back that a lot of people do not know how to measure shocks. I am not saying you don't but the photos of the shocks both off and on the bike look short to me. It could be just the photos or me.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #83
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Photos can be deceiving but I know since way back that a lot of people do not know how to measure shocks. I am not saying you don't but the photos of the shocks both off and on the bike look short to me. It could be just the photos or me.
Koni.

Koni vs. Boge.

YSS.

Yes, it's hard to tell from the photos (I'm attempting to hold the camera and the tape measure... awkward). But I really did measure before I installed the YSS; I had questioned the length, too. Turns out, Tom got it right on.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 PM   #84
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
lots of details... both front hoses on my R9S were plugged solid. had new hoses made up locally for about $40 for two. both calipers worked fine with no leaks after sitting for 30 years. so left them alone.

with 7,300 miles on bike, both pads looked almost new, so running 37 year old front pads. those will be replaced soon to get fresh pad material.
Did you take the calipers apart, inspect the internals?
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #85
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
They look short in the photos?
I measured them against the Konis, they are the same. Guess I could measure the old stock Boge's and compare, I'll do that this afternoon. I ordered through Tom Cutter, gave him all the required info (rider wt., passenger wt., etc.) and he had them set up for my bike.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #86
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,015
They are a pain to measure accurately and the tiniest difference makes a big diff in ride height which, of course, changes everything up front.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:43 PM   #87
Voltaire
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
One of the old Konis was leaking. Looked into rebuilding the Konis, but Tom Cutter had a better idea. He said the old Koni is an outdated technology and the new YSS shock is better.
That they maybe but a friend of mine who is an Ohlins/Guzzi man rebuilt a set he had in stock with synthetic oil ( 85ml from memory) and new seals from IKON and says it transformed his Norton.
just need some spring compressors ( I used some car ones) and a special tool you can make by drilling two holes in an 8" cheap adjustable spanner and fitting pins ( or drill bits) much like the top of the fork one.
From what I gather the Ikon internals are the same, not a kit as such just individual parts. might be worth a punt.
I've got a set of Ikons on both my Norton and Thruxton and I can't fault them...and thats a mix of poor NZ roads and two race tracks.
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #88
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by craydds View Post
Did you take the calipers apart, inspect the internals?
nope... checked out both calipers, clamping properly with normal travel/release and no leaks. so left them alone. brake master cylinder was done immediately. I came up with correct seals that are not included in brake master cylinder kits. really wanted to stay with stock BMC to keep R90S original. hasn't leaked a drop since new seals installed between brake fluid reservoir and cylinder. brakes work great!
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #89
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Voltaire, thanks for the info. I may try to rebuild the Konis since I have another bike that could use them. Thanks again.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #90
craydds OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
They are a pain to measure accurately and the tiniest difference makes a big diff in ride height which, of course, changes everything up front.
supershaft, I think these YSS shocks are height adjustable. I'll check into that. Back now. Yes, the shaft length is adjustable. Of course, I can also adjust the spring preload for the proper sag.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 01-25-2012 at 06:40 PM Reason: additions