Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #1
BLUEThunder OP
Rider of Blue Thumpers

Oddometer: 490
.TPX files on a Garmin 60CSx

Ok intelligent inmates ....question for the geekiest of the geeks...

I have a Garmin 60CSx on which I have loaded and successfully used .gpx files as routes.

I have Delormes Topo North America program on my laptop that I can create routes on however they are .tpx files.

Does anyone know if the Garmin I have will load and run a .tpx file???

I know the first response is why don't you just try to load it and see...but the simple answer to that is that my son currently has the GPS and he is located four hours away, or I would have done that.

I figure there are likely a few intelligent individuals out there that could tell me right off the top of their heads.

Any ideas?
BLUEThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:43 PM   #2
BLUEThunder OP
Rider of Blue Thumpers

Mapsource

So, I also have MapSource on my laptop. It's version 6.16.3. I have multiple routes that others have created on that software (.gpx files). However, for some dumb reason the version I have does NOT show ANY back roads and certainly not any Forest Service roads. Others I know who have that software do show FS roads and such on theirs. Any ideas on that?

I was going to try to create my route on there since it makes a .gpx file...but it doesn't show the roads I need. I opened one .gpx file that I got from someone on the Blue Ridge Trail for example...it opens in my software and you can see the route but it's in the middle of nowhere on my map...like not on roads...where in reality it is.

Do I have messed up software? Why doesn't it show mountain roads like others cleary do? Are the backroads possibly a layer that I have off?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 AM   #3
mcnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,358
In response to the first post;
GPSBable is the most comprehensive GPS format converter I know of and it is free/shareware. If GPSBable doesn't do it likely nothing will.

Delormes Topo North America doesn't allow saving as .gpx?

As to the second;
What maps do you own and have installed in MapSource? MapSource itself does not contain detailed maps. You can buy maps or explore the open source maps. Also be sure the detail setting in MS is set to High.

Bruce
mcnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,224
[QUOTE=BLUEThunder;25178171]

I have a Garmin 60CSx on which I have loaded and successfully used .gpx files as routes.

Does anyone know if the Garmin I have will load and run a .tpx file??? QUOTE]

The answer is NO to both statements (you did not load and run a gpx file).

In the 62/78 and up units you actually copy/load .gpx files to a folder in main memory but not in the 60/76 and back. You can not download any type files to any 60/76 and back units. (you can copy files to the data card but the GPS can not read these files.)

With a 60/76 and back unit, you can only download data (tracks, routes, waypoints, & maps). This download is usually done from files opened in MapSource on your PC but I think can be done with Basecamp which is really best used with 62 and up Garmins. There may be other programs which will comunicate with a 60 and downdoad data but MapSource is by far the best to manage data and up/download that data to the GPS from PC.

As stated in response above there are many programs to convert GPS data from various file types (gpx, gdb, html) in your PC and also to convert tracks to routes and back but they have nothiing to do with sending data (not files) to your 60.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:03 AM   #5
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=BLUEThunder;25178234]So, I also have MapSource on my laptop. It's version 6.16.3. However, for some dumb reason the version I have does NOT show ANY back roads and certainly not any Forest Service roads.QUOTE]

There are threads on MapSource you should look at. As Bruce said, MapSource is a program that runs on a PC, it does not contain data like roads and trails, this data is contained in maps you also load on our PC and connect to MapSource.

You need to buy City Nav or try to find an old copy of Roads & Rec and install them on your PC and download them to your GPS.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 14,978
Jerry,

This doesn't involve the OP's questions but I have one for you. I have Roads n Recreation but it is 32 bit. My Samsung Kronos is 64 bit. I can view the RnR maps, use it within Mapsource. I can plan a track, mark waypoints and other normal functions using RnR however, it will not load onto the Chronos as a permanent installation. Any thoughts on this? Perhaps you have heard of this happening? Maybe a work around other than booting from the disc all the time?

Thanks in advance, and OP...sorry for hijacking your thread.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
I have Roads n Recreation but it is 32 bit. My Samsung Kronos is 64 bit. I can view the RnR maps, use it within Mapsource. however, it will not load onto the Chronos as a permanent installation.
Don't exactly understand question.

Are you just using R&R from the disc? And it is not installed?

There is a thread and it is on my web site on how to install R&R. If you already tired to install it form Disc, you may have to uninstall.

Short story you copy complete R&R disc to hard drive then go to hard drive and install R&R from there.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:30 AM   #8
BLUEThunder OP
Rider of Blue Thumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
you did not load and run a gpx file)
With all due respect I have to differ. I did load (possibly wrong terminoligy) or copy a .gpx file to my 60 for the Blue Ridge Trail. I was able to see the route (or track, whatever) on the screen and successfully follow it. I am not looking to load a route for turn by turn directions but simply for "breadcrumbs" to follow through a confusing area.

I do have City Nav for the 60 and use it occasionally and also have a Topo USA card that I use more. It is very helpful...Just sometime the Topo card has TO many details on it when you are trying to navigate on the dirt bike...with all of the contour lines and the small display it's very cluttered.

Thanks for the advice guys...I need to check my resolution (details) on Map Source and make sure it's set to high.

Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:33 AM   #9
BLUEThunder OP
Rider of Blue Thumpers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
...sorry for hijacking your thread.
Not a problem man! We're all on here to learn,
Old 10-01-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEThunder View Post
With all due respect I have to differ. I did load (possibly wrong terminoligy) or copy a .gpx file to my 60 for the Blue Ridge Trail. I was able to see the route (or track, whatever) on the screen and successfully follow it.

I do have City Nav for the 60 and use it occasionally and also have a Topo USA card that I use more. It is very helpful...Just sometime the Topo card has TO many details on it when you are trying to navigate on the dirt bike...with all of the contour lines and the small display it's very cluttered.
With all due respect, you will get much better help if you use the correct terms. Anyone helping knows that when you use "breadcrumbs" you really mean Tracks, but when you use the word Routes, we all think you are talking about Routes (not Tracks). Routes and Tracks are two very different things.

In fact, you did not load or copy any .gpx file to your 60 you downloaded data from MapSource, .gpx had nothing to do with anything.

Yes like you, very few riders use topo while riding for the reason you found, topo is very useful in MapSource on your PC but since you only have it on data card, that is not an option.

City Nav should show you most small roads on your GPS and in Mapsource (Detail set to "Highest" in Mapsource and "Most" on 60). Do you have it on PC and GPS?

I actually prefer the old Roads & Rec map and it shows all know forest roads and trails back in the 80's. It may be worth your time to try to find an old copy on e-bay.

You may want to check out my GPS setup tips for the 60 on my web site DualSportWest.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEThunder View Post

Does anyone know if the Garmin I have will load and run a .tpx file???

Back to your first question: Is your real question "How can I get Mapsource to open a .tpx (or other) files to download the data to my 60?"

The answer is NO, Mapsource will only open .gdb (prefered) and .gpx. However as stated, there are programs like GPS Babble that will convert other file formats to .gpx.