Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #1
DaMonk45 OP
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 207
Nokia Here

I heard some stuff about this....but it was pretty scattered.

So what about this?
I just downloaded it today and i am still getting maps for it.

Ideas?
Thoughts?
Concerns?
Old 11-22-2014, 03:52 PM   #2
worwig
Lost in Georgia

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMonk45 View Post
I heard some stuff about this....but it was pretty scattered.

So what about this?
I just downloaded it today and i am still getting maps for it.

Ideas?
Thoughts?
Concerns?

I think it is a good map for roads and routing. Pretty going POI content. And you can download the maps for offline.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
BKMLWR
Wondering around...

Oddometer: 4,573
as I started to install the app and saw it wanted access to all my contacts and phone info I decided they had over stepped their welcome and decided Locus, OSMand and Oruxmaps was enough to play with....and I can get the same maps using Mobile Atlas Creator......
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,584
They want your contacts so that you can navigate to addresses in your contact list.
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Cheap Beer & Tenderloins | "You know your getting old when a bad hair day includes your nose, eyebrows and ears" - Inmate - advNZer?
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,523
Pretty cheeky of Here to add a link on the Garmin Lifetime Update sale page.

Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

Navteq is now Here and here so there you have it. Garmin was obviously ok with it.
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post

Guess you missed the memo. Nokia OWNS Navteq.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

The "DOWNLOAD LINK" for HERE.beta
My SPOT - No tracks = not riding | Husky TR650 Thread Index | Husky TR650 OEM and Interchangeable Parts List | Cheap Beer & Tenderloins | "You know your getting old when a bad hair day includes your nose, eyebrows and ears" - Inmate - advNZer?
Old 12-05-2014, 07:06 AM   #9
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,345
Just had an update. Not sure what it did.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:52 AM   #10
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Yup, I got the update as well. Still looking but it must have been a change that wasn't a UI change.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
GarrettRB
Bike Nerd

Oddometer: 216
The Here app is now compatible with my Samsung tablet. It still doesn't work on my HTC phone though. I've been playing with it on the tablet a bit and like the offline capability.

Has anyone tried custom routes with it yet? Can you make routes in Basecamp and import them into HERE?
Old 01-07-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

I use HERE on a Windows phone.

You can build routes on HERE.COM....however I am not sure how you can get them to a phone for use on Here Drive. Individual waypoints will auto sync to the phone but not saved routes from the URL. I have not tried to get Basecamp routes to the phone and would not have a clue how to do it.

I also like that HERE.com gives you three different routings options but again none of these routes transfer to the phone although the first HERE route option is always the one chosen by the phone's app Here Drive if you are point and shoot navigating to a waypoint/destination. If I am using the cage I review the three options beforehand (with traffic delays cranked in) and then let Here Drive auto correct if I choose another route.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #13
ohgood
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,630
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
I use HERE on a Windows phone.

You can build routes on HERE.COM....however I am not sure how you can get them to a phone for use on Here Drive. Individual waypoints will auto sync to the phone but not saved routes from the URL. I have not tried to get Basecamp routes to the phone and would not have a clue how to do it.

I also like that HERE.com gives you three different routings options but again none of these routes transfer to the phone although the first HERE route option is always the one chosen by the phone's app Here Drive if you are point and shoot navigating to a waypoint/destination. If I am using the cage I review the three options beforehand (with traffic delays cranked in) and then let Here Drive auto correct if I choose another route.
whoa nelly. i found a person using windows phone, on advrider. shazam.

have you found any offline mapping programs that allow importing/exporting maps, tracks, routes, waypoints and stuff ?

you know if/when windows 10 is released it's supposed to allow for some desktop applications to be used on windows phones / tablets, if they're coded correctly. i can't see many apps (or, in desktop speak, PROgrams) being a very good crossover, but hey, the billion or so win32 programs might have a few that rock for navigation on the phone.

well, whatchagot ?
Old 01-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #14
DaMonk45 OP
I B Da Monk

Oddometer: 207
I asked about GPX and file transfers, here is what I got

Hi Dave,

Thank you for reaching out, your feedback is very important to us. In the near feature there are no plans to introduce GPX to HERE app, but there are plans to add a feature on here.com that helps to plan the specific route and send it to the device.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #15
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgood View Post
whoa nelly. i found a person using windows phone, on advrider. shazam.

have you found any offline mapping programs that allow importing/exporting maps, tracks, routes, waypoints and stuff ?

you know if/when windows 10 is released it's supposed to allow for some desktop applications to be used on windows phones / tablets, if they're coded correctly. i can't see many apps (or, in desktop speak, PROgrams) being a very good crossover, but hey, the billion or so win32 programs might have a few that rock for navigation on the phone.

well, whatchagot ?
I looked at a few others at the store but opted to stay with Here and I like the fact that I get the whole USA on the phone. My Zumo 550 is still holding on so I use the WP for backup nav and cage use.

At this point the Garmin still has the edge for me especially as I preplan long tours (street bike) on Mapsource with multiple routes. I may take a look again when I upgrade in 2015 to a bigger phone but................???

The performance with Here Drive is pretty good though and I have received quite a few upgrades in the couple of years I have been using it. If Nokia updates to allow routes (in addition to waypoints right now) to be sent to the phone that would be great and would warrant another look as a MC tour GPS.