User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
soberjoe OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Garmin Nuvi 550 will not turn on when...

Hey there everyone. I have a Garmin Nuvi 550 that I use daily on my travels, and I plug it into the 12v stock accessory on my 2014 Vee2. However, as is apt to happen - every once in a while the power plug vibrates out of the 12v socket on the dash, causing my GPS to power down if I don't notice it right away.
So, I thought I had a fix. I would use my GoPro 12v socket - USB adaptor, plug that into the 12v accesory socket, then connect the Garmin via a USB cable. Great, right?
Wrong.
The silly Garmin thinks its plugged into my laptop and won't power on. It remains in USB mass storage mode.

Any ideas or work arounds would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,374
It's trying to tell you something, USB power is best used only at the desk next to the computer. Switch to Powerlet or use a rubber band or somehow else secure the power plug you had used previously.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #3
soberjoe OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250senuf View Post
It's trying to tell you something, USB power is best used only at the desk next to the computer. Switch to Powerlet or use a rubber band or somehow else secure the power plug you had used previously.
I have a feeling you're right 250 - I was just hoping that there was a way to turn off USB mass storage, so that maybe the GPS would just power on. Alas, it appears a rubber band - or maybe a little strip of electrical tape somewhere on the male end of the power plug - will help keep it snug in the socket.
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #4
soberjoe OP
Adventurer

Problem solved

Actually I found a much simpler fix online. With the Garmin plugged into the usb port 12v adaptor in my accessory socket, as stated it immediately boots into usb mass storage mode. Once fully booted (green loading bar disappears) if the mini usb cable is unplugged from the back of the Garmin and then quickly plugged back in, the Garmin powers on as normal.

Problem solved