ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #16
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,211
Google map gpx to Motion X: problem

I took a pre-turkey ride this morning by myself as an excuse for a Google-map-to-MotionX track following exercise. I created a simple route from my home to Huron River Drive in Ann Arbor (my vote for the best scenic motorcycle run in SE Michigan) with Google Maps. I transferred the .gpx file to Motion-X using their new "Drag and Drop" feature in iTunes. No problem.

BUT, when I actually tried to follow the route, I found it had only kept the beginning, end, and and one point in between. My twisty route showed up as a few straight lines on the Motion-X iPhone map. It was still useful to keep you roughly on track, but I expected to see my little triangular avatar winding along my pre-arranged route.

What I'd really like is to map this .gpx process over to Motion-X Drive as I'll use it on paved roads 90% of the time.

Any advice from those more experienced with Motion-X?
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
soffiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
I took a pre-turkey ride this morning by myself as an excuse for a Google-map-to-MotionX track following exercise. I created a simple route from my home to Huron River Drive in Ann Arbor (my vote for the best scenic motorcycle run in SE Michigan) with Google Maps. I transferred the .gpx file....
Sounds like you must have followed some steps that are not mentioned. How did you get from GM to GPX?

Quote:
... to Motion-X using their new "Drag and Drop" feature in iTunes. No problem.
That's a new one on me; I'll have to check it out. I have been emailing theGPX to MotionX and getting a link back from them by email, which then imports flawlessly into MotionX.

Quote:
BUT, when I actually tried to follow the route, I found it had only kept the beginning, end, and and one point in between. My twisty route showed up as a few straight lines on the Motion-X iPhone map. It was still useful to keep you roughly on track, but I expected to see my little triangular avatar winding along my pre-arranged route.

What I'd really like is to map this .gpx process over to Motion-X Drive as I'll use it on paved roads 90% of the time.

Any advice from those more experienced with Motion-X?
As far as I know (and I am NOT an expert) there is no way to push a route/track into MotionX Drive.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #18
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Drag & Drop

I think this is a new Motion X feature to make it a bit easier to get the .gpx files onto your phone. I had done the email process before, but never actually tried to follow a track - so I don't know if it was any better. I do know that my buddy imported that .gpx file into his Zumo and it followed the road details exactly - not just the beginning-middle-end as I had.

I created the route in Google Maps - then clicked on the "GMaptoGPX" icon in my Google Chrome browser. That brings up the actual gpx text file. I cut/pasted that into a Google Doc and saved to my desktop as a .gpx. I then opened iTunes with my phone connected. I chose the connected phone, then "Apps" and then scrolled down to the bottom of the screen where it shows the apps that sync data with iTunes. I selected "MotionX" and then added the .gpx file to the menu. When I sync'd the phone, the route came over, but in two pieces. Each piece was the crude beginning-middle-end line, not the detailed turn-by-turn route that had shown on the Google map.

Maybe I buggered up the intial .gpx creation.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #19
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Figured it out: I screwed up!

Problem solved: I had inadvertently converted my Google route to .gpx but did not click the button "Full" in the GMaptoGPX dialog box to create the detailed route file. You can select "Route", "Points" or "Full" and I must have selected only points.

So - I selected "Full" and it created a much larger .gpx file. I cut/pasted that into Google Doc, saved it to my hard drive as a text file. When I imported it into MotionX in iTunes, I had to edit the name of the file to eliminate the .txt suffix, leaving only the .gpx. This worked fine and imported into the phone OK. When I now open MotionX, I see the full, detailed route!

So - this looks like it will work just fine, albeit without voice turn-by-turn directions.

This method seems a bit simpler than the previous email-yourself-a-link method, but both seem to work.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #20
soffiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Problem solved: I had inadvertently converted my Google route to .gpx but did not click the button "Full" in the GMaptoGPX dialog box to create the detailed route file. You can select "Route", "Points" or "Full" and I must have selected only points.
Cool. That's exactly where I was headed in my previous reply to you but at that time I had no idea if it was indeed GMtoGPX bookmarklet that you were using.

Quote:
So - I selected "Full" and it created a much larger .gpx file. I cut/pasted that into Google Doc, saved it to my hard drive as a text file. When I imported it into MotionX in iTunes, I had to edit the name of the file to eliminate the .txt suffix, leaving only the .gpx. This worked fine and imported into the phone OK. When I now open MotionX, I see the full, detailed route!

So - this looks like it will work just fine, albeit without voice turn-by-turn directions.
Right. This is a completely different way of using GPS. TBT is a different app altogether (MotionX Drive) and I don't know a way to upload Routes to it. Following a Track is different, because Tracks are just a series of lat/long points closely spaced. Tracks cannot know if they are following roads or wandering thru the wilderness. So, since Tracks know nothing about roads, they can't possibly do TBT.

Quote:
This method seems a bit simpler than the previous email-yourself-a-link method, but both seem to work.
Whatever works for you. I read thru the iTunes method you posted, and in my little brain, it still seems quicker and easier to email the GPX off to MotionX. When they reply (under a minute, in my experience) it's about three taps on the iPhone and your route is loaded. But they both work; it's all good.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #21
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 901
Great thread! Do both drive and GPS versions of MotionX allow for downloading of the maps to the device? I was going to go with Navigon, but with 2.0 out it doesn't seem as good of a deal at MotionX.

DAVE
He bought this bike with his own money as a "fixer upper" that he can ride and learn to wrench on. Part of owning is he will buy parts and wrench on it himself. We are going through it together and having fun! I am very proud of the young man he is becoming.
deeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:06 AM   #22
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

drive

Nope - it appears that the .gpx download option only exists for Motion-X GPS. I have both GPS and Drive loaded on my phone, but only the GPS app shows up "File Sharing" section at the bottom of the "Apps" screen during in iTunes sync.

It is amazing what you can do with an app that costs less than a Taco Bell lunch!
Old 11-25-2011, 08:18 AM   #23
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,128
But they both do allow you to preload a map.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #24
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Drive and GPS download??

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
But they both do allow you to preload a map.
Really? I see the "Map Download" pic on the Motion-X GPS Setup screen, but not on Drive. This allows you to download map data when you are in wi-fi/3G range to use when you are out of 3G range - which could be handy. What screen pics take you to the Map Download process on Drive???

I see that Drive will store up to 2gig of recently used maps, it there someway to use that function?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #25
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

I'm on my phone, so a short reply. Choose to simulate route. You then get a choice to cache maps.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:01 AM   #26
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Old 11-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #27
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Can't find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
Ok - I am a dumb ass: I can't find this screen on my MotionX Drive menus.

Can you post a bit more on the steps?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #28
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Nav Choices > Pre Load Maps

Old 11-27-2011, 04:22 AM   #29
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks

Thanks!!!
Old 11-27-2011, 08:17 AM   #30
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeve View Post
Great thread! Do both drive and GPS versions of MotionX allow for downloading of the maps to the device? I was going to go with Navigon, but with 2.0 out it doesn't seem as good of a deal at MotionX.

DAVE
I have both MotionX Drive and Navigon. Navigon is far superior to Drive for routing. I use MotionX GPS for the offroad stuff and couldn't be happier.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote