ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 AM   #31
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
I use the MotionX GPS HD on my ipad. The way I get .gpx files to it from the computer is using the Dropbox app. I put the .gpx files in dropbox on my pc or mac and on the ipad I open the dropbox app, and select the .gpx file. It asks if I want to open it with MotionX and when I tap yes, it launches MotionX with the new data from the .gpx file loaded up. Very simple.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #32
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
I use the MotionX GPS HD on my ipad. The way I get .gpx files to it from the computer is using the Dropbox app. I put the .gpx files in dropbox on my pc or mac and on the ipad I open the dropbox app, and select the .gpx file. It asks if I want to open it with MotionX and when I tap yes, it launches MotionX with the new data from the .gpx file loaded up. Very simple.
That now makes 3 ways to skin this cat - all quite easy to do.

If it doesn't overheat in my new LifeProof case, I'll be convinced that the iPhone 4, Cardo Scala G4, and Etymotic ER6i earbuds provides the best overall motorcycle nav/music/phone solution. I won't be able to test this out until next summer.

Perhaps a hot-climate inmate can report back sooner.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #33
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
I have both MotionX Drive and Navigon. Navigon is far superior to Drive for routing. I use MotionX GPS for the offroad stuff and couldn't be happier.
I don't want to hijack this thread...but maybe you could PM me why Navigon is better? Do you have 2.0?
DAVE
Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #34
soffiler
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
...If it doesn't overheat in my new LifeProof case, I'll be convinced that the iPhone 4, Cardo Scala G4, and Etymotic ER6i earbuds provides the best overall motorcycle nav/music/phone solution...

Talk to me about this "LifeProof Case"
Old 11-28-2011, 10:13 AM   #35
John Smallberries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
LifeProof

Quote:
Originally Posted by soffiler View Post
Talk to me about this "LifeProof Case"
Here ya go: http://www.lifeproof.com/. There are also many YouTube videos showing people abusing phones in these cases.

I've looked at many, many different cases and was intrigued by this one. They just recently released a handlebar mount for sale. I've got mine, but haven't mounted it yet. It makes the iPhone fully waterproof and very impact resistant. The touch screen works well through the transparent cover. The casing is very thin and fits tight to the phone. I'm hoping that this improves the heat flow out of the phone and prevents the dreaded overheat condition running on the bike when it is hot.

If it doesn't work, I'll fall back to the great Touratech mount (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/P...acket-iBracket) and a condom or baggie for the rain. The LifeProof case is too long to fit into the Touratech mount.
John Smallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #36
Trailryder42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,058
Don't you guys find Motion X map resolution/detail too low? I've had it on my phone for a while and most map detail you can download only goes as high as level 14. Some, very few, go as high as 19. If wanting to use this app for back country/off road foot travel/hiking/nav it seems practically useless.
COHVCO
USA-ALL
BRC
Trailryder42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #37
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailryder42 View Post
Don't you guys find Motion X map resolution/detail too low? I've had it on my phone for a while and most map detail you can download only goes as high as level 14. Some, very few, go as high as 19. If wanting to use this app for back country/off road foot travel/hiking/nav it seems practically useless.
I assume you refer to the terrain maps. I very seldom use them. Have a look at the Bing hybrid or satellite, see if that gives you what you are looking for. Those do seem to allow cache at 19, at least in the places I run.

If I am going intothenew, I cache road at all levels. I cache hybrid in places that I am unfamiliar with, or may want to explore, at between roughly 14 and 19. I also cache terrain, so that I have the topo info, but very seldom use it.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 AM   #38
soffiler
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smallberries View Post
Here ya go: http://www.lifeproof.com/. There are also many YouTube videos showing people abusing phones in these cases....
That is pretty awesome! Thanks much for the info.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:18 PM   #39
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by soffiler View Post
That is pretty awesome! Thanks much for the info.
Have you read this thread yet? http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538437
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #40
soffiler
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
I have not, but now I certainly will. Thanks Jeff.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #41
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
I have the regular Motion X (not Drive), bought it mostly to record my mountain bike rides and to use as an odometer/bike computer.

I have an iphone 3gs and have issues with getting an accurate track and accurate distance/speed data real time. Even though I have GPS coverage at all times, the track will show no speed/distance intermittently (mostly after stopping then starting or changing direction) even though I am pedaling right along. I am not losing a signal. On my 6 mile loop that I ride, it may record 5.1 miles or so. It seems to lose a connection with the internal GPS whenever I turn sharp or stop and start. The recorded track shows the general shape of the loop but it is not representative totally (lots of cut corners, etc)

Talking with the Motion X programmers, who are very helpful, they blame my phone, since the app depends entirely on the GPS chipset to work. Fair enough, I took my phone to my phone tech and the GPS chip checks out ok. He says the 3gs does not have a sophisticated enough GPS chipset to really record good great track details and accurate distances when it comes to mountain biking, etc. I have played with it for two weeks now and just can't get a good result with this app for my intended purposes. It records a track good in the truck where speed remains constant and there are not a lot of direction changes.

I have the phone in a holder on my bars, and I know it is not losing a signal. I guess I need to upgrade to a iphone 4 for this app to work right. Any other 3gs users out there?
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:56 PM   #42
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,109
IOS 5.0.1 also has know issues and sometimes makes the native gps program in-op too. This only happens on certain serial number runs of the gps chip.

I called MotionX they helped a great deal with trouble shooting but the bottom line is that I will have to wait until 5.0.XX comes out to see if it has been addressed.
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:43 PM   #43
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
IOS 5.0.1 also has know issues and sometimes makes the native gps program in-op too. This only happens on certain serial number runs of the gps chip.

I called MotionX they helped a great deal with trouble shooting but the bottom line is that I will have to wait until 5.0.XX comes out to see if it has been addressed.

Interesting. I forgot to mention that I am running 5.0.1 in my initial thread. I did tell the Motion X programmers though.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:59 AM   #44
deeve
DumbA$$

Oddometer: 1,106
I am looking at downloading some maps for a track I received and I know I will not get a single out there. I have two questions....1. Is downloading better then caching? I would like to download the area where I will be traveling, and if I understand it correctly caching will store the maps that I view as I scroll through the track but will start to delete them if I view too much. DL lets me pick a bigger area, but I have to make sure I am DL the entire area of the track. 2. What is the difference between the different types of map, like MotionX and Bing? I read the descriptions, but not sure which I would want to DL.

Thanks!
DAVE
Old 12-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #45
ericw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Motion-X - The GPS phone has arrived!

Hi All-

If anyone is on the fence about trying this app, I recommend giving it a try. Mind you, I've spent many days in the saddle with GPS mounted up front, formulating a list of what I'd need in a truly easy to use off-road GPS.

After a few years of f'in with Garmin's POS line up , I've finally found a true off-road GPS app for my iPhone (3GS) that incorporates all of the features I've been looking for, Motion-x.

I just received an app update from Motion-x that now includes the only remaining item I had on my off-road GPS "wish list" for the iPhone, the ability to show more than one track at a time on the map. I'd sent a number of email requests to Motion-x developers regarding this issue and they obviously listened/responded to their users. Unlike Garmin with their own laundry list of issues.

Even before this update, I've logged thousands of off-road miles in California desert and mountain single track using the iPhone and Motion-x without a single issue regarding durability, readability or ease of use on the bike. The multi-track view is a great addition but the app was pretty close to exactly what I needed before that... nice.

Two must-haves for on the bike, 12v power adaptor for external power to the iPhone and Ram Mount's "Finger Grip" mount.

The Motion-x app (with free updates) was $9.99 (EDIT: Right now it's on sale for $1.99) and if my two and a half year old iPhone ever dies, they're $49.00 at AT&T. Can't say the same about Garmin's endless releases of not-ready-for-prime-time GPS's at $500+ a pop.

But I'm not bitter...

Kudo's to Motion-x!

(No, I don't work for them)

ericw screwed with this post 12-22-2011 at 02:33 PM
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote